Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lady Spork

Crafty Rmy

I plan to. Im thinking of maybe doing that next year though. If I start a shop I'll have to claim in on income taxes and that will suck. If I start next year, I'll probably be in school and claiming wouldn't make much of a difference :P

Also you only have to claim after a certain threshold, right? I don't declare anything at the moment, I don't earn enough... weirdly, paying income tax has become a goal because it'll mean I'm earning a good living. Can't believe that's my aspiration.  :huh: 

Well in Canada you're actually supposed to claim any once you have. If you have an actual job you HAVE to claim no matter how much you make. If you make under a certain threshold they'll give you money back and if you're over they either keep what you've paid during the year or they ask for more.

With a home business, you don't really have to if you're under the radar I guess, but you're supposed to. I'm just afraid of having am online shop and online records of transactions because then I could get in trouble if they find out I didn't claim it. Idk I'm just scared of the government XD

I know people that don't claim and they've been doing fine.

Craft fair done! Successfully! Well I didn't make a lot, but I paid for the table hire and got a bit of publicity, and sold out of a few things so that's something. Plus my friend and I got to hang out all day eating Quality Street, so it was like a social occasion too. :)

That's awesome to hear!

I think I should launch an etsy shop. I'm trying to sell without one but there's been no buyers. Guess it's time haha

Congrats Francesca! I'm glad you at least got your money back, and you got word out so that's great!

Yess looking on the bright side. :)

I'm just bummed about the having to claim for taxes part. But I hope I can actually get to a point where I make a fair bit.

If it helps, I have no taxes within Etsy; as far as I know, I shouldn't have. I guess it's different in Canada?

In Canada you're supposed to report any income you make to the government and they'll tax it.... like yeah I can keep it a secret, I just really font want to get in trouble with he law haha

Ah, we have to reach a threshold before we pay income tax, although you do have to declare everything. 

Slightly off-topic: if anyone here is on Tumblr and likes indie zines, I'm offering my first two Ghost Stories zines to people who reblog my post with their favourite Halloween costumes. Figured I might as well jump on the Halloween marketing bandwagon, since I do actually have work relevant to Halloween.  

2-weeks-until-my-next-fair freakout time! I have to order business cards, work out how my stall will look (better than last time hopefully) and work out my pricing. I have notebooks to sell this time which I hope will go down well with people. My friend's not doing it with me this time so I need to sell a lot of postcards to make my money back.  :blink: