Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lady Spork

Crafty Rmy

There are also the option to create your own website with a built-in store, like with StoreEnvy. The downside is that there's no community aspect because you're on your own site

Storenvy can also take massive cuts of your profit if items are purchased from your shop through their marketplace as opposed to directly from you site..... I just don't know what I should go with.

I've heard that about Storenvy, I made an account but never used it because I just kept hearing bad feedback. Etsy is big and hard work to get noticed, but I've found the community aspect invaluable, and they do a lot of tax stuff for you which for me makes it worthwhile!

Oh I forgot to tell you - my friend and I signed up for a craft fair! 

Met with my friend today for craft fair planning... it's happening. ^_^

That's exciting!!! :) let us know how it goes!

I'm excited to share that I've actually got commissions on the go right now! I'm redoing my Succbus drawing in a larger more detailed piece for an aquaintances. I will also be doing a drawing g of The Keeper from The Evil Within video game..... my grandma also wants a painting, but that's more difficult because I do creepy art and she doesn't want creepy art :P

I see your Instagram art, Gabby, it's great. :) Maybe for your nan you could do flowers or something in black and white? Still your style, but less creepy. 

I will, I bought supplies today... it's not for 2 months but I am treating this as the opposite of a homework deadline. 

I'm selling my stationery (sarcastic greetings postcards, feminist rant postcards, nerdy mythological Valentine's postcards etc) as well as my pocket mirrors and a little 'make your own stationery' lucky dip type thing where I'm basically reselling washi tape and markers to get people, especially children/people who by October will be buying children Christmas presents, interested.

My friend is selling her supercute felt brooches which I have a sneaking suspicion I may buy before the fair's begun.

That sounds super fun! I'd come see if I wasn't oceans away haha

I want another event to sell at. Luckily I've got comission and such to work on in the mean time. Hoping to hear of some events or have a gallery show.

Thanks. :)

Gallery shows are really expensive to get into in the UK, what are they like in Canada? I have a friend who's a professional artist and she has to pay to be considered in competitions. <_<

I don't really know what fees are but I know there are lots of artist run galleries around here I can apply to have a show at.

Guys I have a craft fair conundrum. Do I order loads of postcards that I'm pretty sure will sell but that don't have a high profit margin, or do I order a set of notebooks that have a potentially higher margin but that I've never sold anywhere so might not sell anyway?

Get some of both and use this first experience as a way to gage what sells vs whay doesn't. Just don't order more cost wise Than you think you'll sell.

But if you think you'll sell lots of post cards, get a bunch. Profit isn't the only thing. It's also about networking and raising awareness for your business.

That's true. It's kind of a moot point right at the moment, as I had to pay my blog domain today so I'm low on funds until I get paid in October, and I have to order more mirrors too. I can get minimum 25 notebooks - I might take the plunge. :)

£35, for the A6 ones. I can sell them at maybe £4.50. Mirrors cost £30, at fairs and in real life they're £2.50 (Etsy has to be higher because of fees.) Postcards are 80p each, IRL I can only feesibly charge 90p and do deals for bulk, because no one's going to pay more... Again, Etsy prices are higher.

I could get them cheaper, but the quality is crap and I won't sell anything I wouldn't buy myself.

I ended up with a ton left over from the fair I did, but I broke even with the cost of preparing for it and I'm just selling the rest now :)