river

Sister Wives 3: The Regeneration

I didn't see your last post, sorry!

We haven't heard more yet, we know our jobs are 99% likely to be made redundant, we just don't know when.

I didn't phone the doctor either but am going to tomorrow, I want to see if there's anxiety medication I can take as and when needed e.g. before a job interview to help with the physical symptoms of my anxiety.

How's everything in the land of Francesca (and anyone else reading)?

Good luck with it all. Keep persevering with the doctor! You'll get another job, too - it sounds like you're pretty good at your current job, and I can guarantee you're better at for interviews than you think you are.

I'm all right! I've been writing a lot - and I'm finally calling my current project a book, and telling people it's a book, which is a step up for me because usually I refuse to tell anyone anything then wonder why they don't care about my work haha. Also this way now I'm telling people, I have to finish it... Spring has finally arrived here too so I am in a good mood!

Thanks! I've reapplied at the place I cancelled the interview last year, and also the doctor gave me diazepam so we'll see how that goes :blink:

That sounds interesting, what's it about? How far through have you got?

It's fantastic seeing some sunshine, makes such a difference to the day! 

I bought some diazepam in Vietnam last year so I could sleep through a 25 hour bus journey. I don't actually know if it made me sleepy or just really relaxed, but I am fairly confident your doctor communicates with you better than I did with a Vietnamese pharmacist... don't prescribe yourselves drugs, kids. Do as I say not as I do.

It's a children's book about dragons, sort of, but I'm not saying any more yet because there is always a chance I will change elements and end up with something completely different to what I have now. I'm partway through a set of edits on the first draft so I have a loooong way to go but I'm enjoying it!

Haha that's brilliant, did you manage to sleep the whole time?

I've just had a phone call offering me an interview tomorrow at 2pm, that's less than 24 hours ahhhhh!

Ooh exciting, do you think you'll look to publish it in print? 

Good luck with the interview Kerry! I hope everything works out for you. I totally understand the job related stress you're going through. 

I had a Skype interview for a HR Digital Media role and then a follow up face-to-face interview today and I find out the outcome on Friday. It's so much work and preparation for a potential unsuccessful application. 

My added stress is that I'm getting married in August. Unemployment sucks. 

17 hours ago, dropthedaggerromeo. said:

Haha that's brilliant, did you manage to sleep the whole time?

I've just had a phone call offering me an interview tomorrow at 2pm, that's less than 24 hours ahhhhh!

Ooh exciting, do you think you'll look to publish it in print? 

Yep, conked out except for lunch and toilet stops. Brilliant stuff, used it on all the ridiculous Asian journeys after that. It's illegal here without a prescription though, so I dumped it before I came home. Probably a good thing, I have no idea what's in it.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR INTERVIEW! Sometimes it's good to get these things done with quickly, there's less time to panic then.

I'm definitely hoping to publish traditionally (with an agent and traditional publishing house) but I've worked on it so long that at the very least, I'm going to hash it into some sort of ebook PDF and vanity print it if no publishers are interested. I'm even tentatively trying to use it to crowdfund, offering free ebook copies to patrons, because writing it is a long process and it eats into my day job. I literally just spent two hours editing, and it was a ridiculously satisfying two hours, but that's two hours I'm not getting paid for and might not see return on, so. Oh the joys of being a writer.

17 hours ago, Lady_Godiva said:

Good luck with the interview Kerry! I hope everything works out for you. I totally understand the job related stress you're going through. 

I had a Skype interview for a HR Digital Media role and then a follow up face-to-face interview today and I find out the outcome on Friday. It's so much work and preparation for a potential unsuccessful application. 

I hate Skype interviews, my tech always dies on me and my face on camera always looks nothing like my actual face. Congrats on getting married! Aha you're so grown up. 

You'll get a job eventually. Good luck for Friday!

23 hours ago, Lady_Godiva said:

Thank you :wub: I think it went okay and the diazepam definitely helped beforehand.

I hope you get the job, it sounds exciting. And congratulations on getting married! 

5 hours ago, Indifferent Ignorance said:

Yep, conked out except for lunch and toilet stops. Brilliant stuff, used it on all the ridiculous Asian journeys after that. It's illegal here without a prescription though, so I dumped it before I came home. Probably a good thing, I have no idea what's in it.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR INTERVIEW! Sometimes it's good to get these things done with quickly, there's less time to panic then.

I'm definitely hoping to publish traditionally (with an agent and traditional publishing house) but I've worked on it so long that at the very least, I'm going to hash it into some sort of ebook PDF and vanity print it if no publishers are interested. I'm even tentatively trying to use it to crowdfund, offering free ebook copies to patrons, because writing it is a long process and it eats into my day job. I literally just spent two hours editing, and it was a ridiculously satisfying two hours, but that's two hours I'm not getting paid for and might not see return on, so. Oh the joys of being a writer.

I hate Skype interviews, my tech always dies on me and my face on camera always looks nothing like my actual face. Congrats on getting married! Aha you're so grown up. 

You'll get a job eventually. Good luck for Friday!

I don't know what's in it either but it works! It's supposed to be very addictive though so now I'm through the job interview I'm hiding it away.

I'm so grateful the interview was today and not next week, I work myself up so much if I have the time to do so! But it's over for now and I think I did okay. However I did officially get made redundant today so I now have no job :/

Good luck with it, it sound great and I'm sure publishers will be interested :)

Think of all this as a fresh start. You've done a good job interview, you can leave all those colleagues you don't like and at your new job - which you will get - you get to kind of reinvent yourself.

Thanks! I am going to be telling EVERYONE when it is done god I'm exhausted by it already but it's so much fun!

Wow I’ve missed so much in the past couple of weeks. I’m so sorry you were made redundant, Kerry! Although I’m glad you started being proactive about it soon and went to an interview.

not much has changed here. Still working! My plan was to look for a new job in the summer that has health insurance, but I really love working here. So I might end up doing Obamacare (even though it is stupid expensive for basic coverage.)

Francesca, your book sounds cool! I can’t wait until it comes out in some form.

On 22/03/2018 at 5:44 PM, Indifferent Ignorance said:

Think of all this as a fresh start. You've done a good job interview, you can leave all those colleagues you don't like and at your new job - which you will get - you get to kind of reinvent yourself.

Thanks! I am going to be telling EVERYONE when it is done god I'm exhausted by it already but it's so much fun!

I'm definitely trying to see it as a positive. I know I can pay my mortgage for at least three months without a job if I had to so that takes the pressure off a bit, and I'm actually looking forward to having time off.

I'm sure it'll be worth it when it's done, I look forward to hearing more! 

On 23/03/2018 at 12:32 PM, river said:

Wow I’ve missed so much in the past couple of weeks. I’m so sorry you were made redundant, Kerry! Although I’m glad you started being proactive about it soon and went to an interview.

not much has changed here. Still working! My plan was to look for a new job in the summer that has health insurance, but I really love working here. So I might end up doing Obamacare (even though it is stupid expensive for basic coverage.)

Francesca, your book sounds cool! I can’t wait until it comes out in some form.

It seems so alien to us British folk having to pay for healthcare. I can't imagine how difficult it must make making simple decisions like your job.

In other news I got a hamster today. He's called Pepper but his middle name is Ham Solo. 

Kerry, that is an excellent hamster name. You sound like you've got your finances worked out, so at least you don't have to live in a state of permanent anxiety while you look for jobs.

Rachel, I can't imagine paying for healthcare either! I have a monster cold at the moment and I'm taking it for granted that if it doesn't clear up, I can toddle down to my GP for relatively cheap medicine.

Yeah it sucks. Right now I have medical and dental through my mom. But if I don’t find another job (or somehow get married) by the end of next year, I’ll have to purchase it... it will be about $130 a month just for catastrophic coverage (like if I get hit by a car or something.)

at my last job with the city, I paid about $50 for month for medical, dental, and vision.

Greetings Sister Wives!  Sorry for the extremely long absence. It's been a difficult period of time in 2017 and 2018.  I am doing much better both medically and personally. I feel like I am finally getting a handle on things and it feels great!  How is everyone doing?  Hope we can connect again soon.

All my love,

Sulfur

On 3/25/2018 at 7:33 AM, dropthedaggerromeo. said:

In other news I got a hamster today. He's called Pepper but his middle name is Ham Solo. 

That’s such a great name. My Syrian hamster’s called Dani DeVito

I know someone on the internet has a tortoise called Voldetort...

Also not as funny but two of my dogs accidentally had the same name as the Flintstones, Fred and Barney, which is cute. Our other dog is called Adonis, like the myth, though, so I think the next animal is going to have to be called Narcissus or some shit. 

I’m so glad to see that Sulfur made an appearance! Hope you’re doing well, lady!

kind of related to the pet name discussion, my mom named my first cat Puff, after a cat she had as a child. So I named my second cat Gryffin to make them both Harry Potter themed :lol: 

I feel like there's a definite Potter-themed pet trend... Also, slightly unrelated, there was a TV show on the other day and a guy had a chihuahua called Fang. If I ever get a Doberman or something, I'm calling it Fluffy. 

Someone reminded me of this forum. Its been exactly one year since my last visit. Haha Guess there hasn't been a lot happening though. Well, just stopping to say hey. Can't forget the fellow Killjoys! Peace!

• Like 1

Hey hey :) just popping in to hear how everyone's doing :) I'm finishing my master thesis this MONTH DDDD: super stressful xD and as some of you may have seen on fb  or instagram, I got engaged this friday! I'm so excited :D and it's  so inconvenient in the middle of all the thesis work, it limits my ability to focus on doing my work because I keep drifting away and finding myself scrolling wedding websites etc xD 

So yea, I'm doing pretty heckin good :D  

• Like 1