river

Sister Wives 3: The Regeneration

Yeah, I think because in the city the buildings are so close together, plus there are a lot of highways going through the city that people are traveling on. 

2 hours ago, MCR=love said:

I think my new years resolution is that I want to be able to squat my current deadlift record (50 kg) and be able to deadlift 60 kg :)

Lulfur is super impressed and thinks they definitely could not lift that much. We looked it up and that's around 110 pounds or 130 pounds in America. Super impressive!

Lulfur is here together tonight on the boards! We are getting dinner at a yummy restaurant and are browsing together at our favorite bookstore 

Hey all!

So, don't take this as weird (I'm having a weird month!), but ok, so I subscribe to threads sometimes so that I can see them in my email (I've said this before), although not so much anymore. It's really no biggie though, because for awhile when nobody really posts, well I wasn't bothering loggin in, right? Anyway, so like listen, I don't remember this coming up on here in November this year (did I totally miss it somehow?!!) well, but I got into Nanowrimo because I heard of it from another site, right? Well, I have been scrambling to find my first part of my story in my messages (still can't find it) and well in a search for Nano, one of the posts from here came up. So, do any of you folks still do this??...Omg! I mean, I don't even have the full word count by like a lot, but I have been revising anyway, because the story is changing and/or I need to edit a lot before I can even continue. But I was thinking earlier today about Beta testers (readers?), but I'm probably a long way from that as I read more and more....well, honestly that opening chapter (few paragraphs) was "gold"...but damnit, for the life of me, I cannot find it!! So...and well, the rest is crap littered with some good stuff (wait...rethinking the image of that statement. :P). Point is, I'm not ready, but it'd be cool to talk about this with you folks! I do recall some mentioning how they write, but I didn't remember this post and I won't repeat it. I mean, you can come forward now if you want to talk.

Ok, well, hope all is well! I'll be leaving for my vacation in a few weeks. I imagine SOMEONE will be around before then?? so, will ttylaterz!

Hey, I'm not much of a writer, but I love to read and I'm a pretty good editor when you get to that point! I'll be around for awhile probably haha

i had a really good interview this morning that I'm excited about! It's with a small business right in the area I was looking for. The pay is equal to what I make now but it comes with more leadership opportunities. And I'm hoping my cost of living will go down once I move out of the city. The only downside is that it doesn't come with insurance :-/ which sucks since Obamacare seems to be on its way out. But I'm really excited about it. The people seem very cool, hardworking, and down to earth. I'll hear from them next week! I'm so ready to move on from my current job.

I don't have Obamacare right now, since I have insurance through my job. But it would be nice to have an *affordable* option. Luckily I don't have any severe health issues so I can probably get away with getting the most basic packages, I'm really hoping PP will survive if anything for all of my feminine needs.

since this job I'm hoping to get is a small business, it would actually be more expensive if they offered any sort of health insurance- one of the hazards of going from a large organization (like the city government in my case!) to small. I'm hoping that if they offer me a job I will be able to negotiate a pay raise at least since it will be a big change. Yeah the US health insurance system makes no sense.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:00 PM, river said:

Hey, I'm not much of a writer, but I love to read and I'm a pretty good editor when you get to that point! I'll be around for awhile probably haha

i had a really good interview this morning that I'm excited about! It's with a small business right in the area I was looking for. The pay is equal to what I make now but it comes with more leadership opportunities. And I'm hoping my cost of living will go down once I move out of the city. The only downside is that it doesn't come with insurance :-/ which sucks since Obamacare seems to be on its way out. But I'm really excited about it. The people seem very cool, hardworking, and down to earth. I'll hear from them next week! I'm so ready to move on from my current job.

I'm pretty obsessive about editing myself, but it's always a good idea to have a second opinion. I think it will be a "little" longer for that though, because I still have to finish and edit a lot of content...but yeah, i mean I guess I don't mind it. If I can fix it NOW, then won't have to later. Anyhoo, well I will send you a PM about this.

--------------

Cool about the job, Rachel! Hope it works out and you can find a good insurance.

----------------------------------------------

Planned Parenthood? I had to stop going because they really increased their rates (maybe that was when I DID get insurance), but i mean, has anyone else had this problem??

Hindsight, I should have multiquote; does this stuff effect you over there Francesca??

Crossing  fingers for you getting the job Rachel! The us health care system really annoys me. I just don't understand how health care can be something for the rich. If I need an ambulance in Norway, I get an ambulance. If I need surgery, I get surgery. And I don't pay! Because I pay with my tax money every month. BUT if I don't work, and therefore don't pay taxes, I still get all those things when I need them. Cause nobody should be denied health care because they don't have a job!!!!!!

Yeah i understand it is a little harder to implement because of our size and whatever... but still... the thing is too that many poorer people are able to get things like Medicaid, but when you're between dirt broke and comfortable, but you have a job, there's fewer options? If that makes sense. Because a lot of the social programs designed to help people only apply to those making less than a certain amount, but everything else is freaking expensive, so if you make too much for one and can't afford the other you're kind of screwed lol that's why I liked the ACA but i guess we'll see how things go.

I get it. I understand why having something that works for the whole us is difficult, but it should be possible to do something state by state or something... but maybe growing up in Norway makes me a bit naive. 

Its too bad you end up in between! There should be an option for you too. I believe it's a human right to get health care when you need it. 

If only it were easy enough to do it state by state! It's very difficult when our states are so politically divided. 

I believe most people are able to get health insurance through their jobs. For example, the health insurance I have right now through my work is actually very good and affordable. But when you, for example, work several part time jobs, or are a contractor or freelancer, or work for a small business that can only provide limited options- that's when you get into the tricky grey area. My friend is a contract employee for a school district and freelances on the side. Obtaining health insurance has been very difficult for her since she's kind of a "non-traditional" employee. That's the type of situation ACA is supposed to cover :-/ but everything is difficult. My previous job was a small business as well, but they were able to offer health insurance, except it was expensive and provided limited coverage. So some people went to ACA since it was cheaper.

I see. It seems like a pretty complex system. I know I have insurance through my job, but that's the kind if I get seriously injured at work I get money even though I can't work anymore. I think it's in the law in Norway that companys have to insure their employees in that way. But that's something different than a normal health insurance, cause that one you kind off have just by being Norwegian. We're pretty far to the social side off the politics actually, even though we have our most democratic(or conservative? Or what? It's difficult to discuss politics in English) parties in the lead at the moment :P 

Hi from Cambodia! My hostel is the worst we've stayed in so far (there is a bar 3.5 seconds away from our window, which does not appear to contain glass), so since I'm too tired to do anything - also I just had my first proper shower in 4 days - I thought I'd pop in.

If I remember correctly, Obamacare is more expensive for some people than their insurance used to be because it forces you to pay for things? I can see why people who are just getting by might feel screwed over by it. But it's only been a few years, surely any sane person can see that updating it is better than repealing it?

Oh wait there's not a sane person in the US administration any more.

It really depends on how much you are earning, and yeah I think it does cost more depending on what sort of coverage you are looking for. and for some people the fee to not have insurance is still actually less than getting Obamacare. Not sure how that makes sense! But yeah I agree that updating the problematic parts is more sensible than repealing it and leaving people in the dust- again. Though now I think they are talking about leaving it up to the states, which could be good or bad depending!

Also, in person life news, I'm pretty stoked because I have three good interviews next week! One of them is a second, working interview for the manager job I previously mentioned. Honestly I'm leaning more towards that one, even if it doesn't offer benefits, it's out of the city and offers more "personal life" benefits... but I'm keeping an open mind! It's also more in my field of working with animals, while the other two are office/admin jobs. Which I was kind of searching for but which also seem super boring compared to the manager one lol. One of the office jobs is at a brewery that I really enjoy, so it could be cool. The other one is a purchasing job at my current workplace. Kind of wanting to get out of working for the government, but it would be nice to keep my benefits tbh and I wouldn't have to work with the public anymore! 

Really think I'm just going to have to get advice from my parents on these decisions :-/

I can't get this to work on my device, multiqoute and stuff, or it is just slow or just...idk Ugh! At this point, it seems ....anyway. Hey Rachel, is your PM working? I sent you something.  It didn't return, so maybe you have just been busy...I mean I can see that you are. As I was saying, seems kindof trivial at this point as I am leaving, but maybe you really didn't see it? Ok, well,carry on!peace all!

On 1/25/2017 at 9:37 PM, river said:

It really depends on how much you are earning, and yeah I think it does cost more depending on what sort of coverage you are looking for. and for some people the fee to not have insurance is still actually less than getting Obamacare. Not sure how that makes sense! But yeah I agree that updating the problematic parts is more sensible than repealing it and leaving people in the dust- again. Though now I think they are talking about leaving it up to the states, which could be good or bad depending!

At least if they leave it up to the states to decide, people can have more input because it's on a*slightly* more local level. And if push comes to shove, you can move states if you want a different system for your needs instead of having to leave the country... As someone who would be dead without the NHS, it's horrifying to see politicians repealing basic healthcare.

On 1/25/2017 at 9:44 PM, river said:

Also, in person life news, I'm pretty stoked because I have three good interviews next week! One of them is a second, working interview for the manager job I previously mentioned. Honestly I'm leaning more towards that one, even if it doesn't offer benefits, it's out of the city and offers more "personal life" benefits... but I'm keeping an open mind! It's also more in my field of working with animals, while the other two are office/admin jobs. Which I was kind of searching for but which also seem super boring compared to the manager one lol. One of the office jobs is at a brewery that I really enjoy, so it could be cool. The other one is a purchasing job at my current workplace. Kind of wanting to get out of working for the government, but it would be nice to keep my benefits tbh and I wouldn't have to work with the public anymore! 

Really think I'm just going to have to get advice from my parents on these decisions :-/

Good luck with your interviews! Go with your gut instinct, it will probably be right.

Hello my dears!  Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far :) I had been talking with a number of the other MCRmy members on Facebook about recent protests and information about how to contact our representatives.  After some discussion, a Facebook group was made to help us in our efforts.  The page is called MCRmy friends for Social Justice. The group can be reached through the hyperlink.  It is a closed group, so people can be able to share information privately.  Anyone who would like to be involved is welcome to join the group. Please share widely among friends and rmy members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1626177480731882/