river

Sister Wives 3: The Regeneration

Yeah, I was wondering. But I got a good look at them and they were the same yellow-white, smallish maggots we've seen around here in small doses over the last ten+ years. This is the first time we've seen them in these numbers, or without an obvious source.

Oh, AND my neighbors found a hugely engorged deer tick on their dog (who spends a lot of time at our house) yesterday. So I've spent the past 18 hours combing through the fur of our animals, which is not easy. Sophie, my cat, hates being held and she threw a fit. Charlie has long, curly, slightly matted poodle fur that's really hard to look through. And Bella just has SO MUCH HAIR it's going to take me a year to get through it.

sulfur, sometimes i think our name is completely inane and is just a random combination of letters, and sometimes i think it's really pretty. what do you think?

I'm with you there. Sometimes I like it and other times not so much

I mainly don't like it when people spell it with an extra a :lol:

Agreed, I work with three people who also have my name. It gets confusing <_<

How are you doing tonight Rachel?

MY HOUSE. It is the set of a cheap-thrills horror movie. Things keep happening overnight that seemed designed specifically to freak and disgust our family out.

One, a few weeks ago we woke up to discover a sizable puddle of extremely freshly spilled blood in our driveway. We settled upon calling it pigeon blood and decided that it had been killed by a hawk, but we never found any feathers; nor were there splatters, drips, or drag marks of any kind. Two, a while later, we found a literal drift of feathers coating the grass in our back yard. This time, there were feathers but no blood, yet the feathers weren't broken or torn. But they obviously all came from the same bird, again most likely a pigeon. In addition, the pigeons that live on our roof and our next-door neighbors' roof keep rolling their eggs off of the eaves to splatter in our driveway, exposing us to some pretty horrible sights and leading to premature lessons for my brother about the details of the circle of life.

THEN.

TODAY, my sisters came home from early-morning church seminary to find the gutter in front of our house COATED with THOUSANDS of living, squirming MAGGOTS. They called my mom and me over to witness. There were no dead animals or rotting things in our grass, gutter, sidewalk, tree, or under the car; the maggots were only in front of our house, beginning and ending before reaching the gutter in front of any of the other houses in our cul-de-sac. They seemed to have no purpose or direction; they were just sprinkled liberally over every inch of our gutter, extending a few feet onto the asphalt. We all retreated into the house, quietly retching, and went about our morning business. When my sisters went back out to the car for the drive to school, it was discovered that every single solitary maggot had disappeared. I mean to use the word "disappeared"; they had not dispersed or decreased in numbers; they had left the premises en masse. Once again, we were left to draw our own conclusions, and the majority's vote seemed to be extinction by fowl devouring (excluding Cade's vote that all the ghastly little living boogers had crept into the car while we were occupied indoors).

Either way, I'll be glad to see the tail end of the whole situation.

That's pretty creepy not going to lie! I'm pretty sure there's a ghost in my apartment building. But he doesn't really do much, hasn't done anything scary, and seems to come and go. Things just randomly turn on or get knocked off shelves. And sometimes things go missing only to randomly appear back where they belong. Keith was looking for a specific book and asked me where it was. We have a huge book shelf (one of those Ikea 4x4 Expedits), and I organize the books by subject and then alphabetically by author's last name (I am incredibly OCD and organized). The bookshelf is made up of little square sections so it's really easy to find stuff (each section has like 16-20 books). Keith was looking for Heart of Darkness (by Joseph Conrad), which is supposed to be on the very top left square. So I told Keith and he said it wasn't there. So then I, assuming he's blind, looked there, but didn't find it. So I then searched through every single book on the entire bookshelf twice and couldn't find it. I also rechecked the square it was supposed to be in at least 4 or 5 times. I then concluded that he had to have taken it to work and left it there. Well, 20 minutes later, Keith was like "uh, Heart of Darkness is on the top left shelf," and sure enough, it was, in plain sight. You literally could not miss it. There is absolutely no way I didn't see it in the exact spot I was looking for it (again a pretty small square with only about 16 books on it). I swear, it had to have been moved and put back, but obviously neither Keith or I did it.

Several times different Tolstoy books have been pulled out of the bookshelf (still on the shelf, but sticking halfway out). It happens several times and it's always the same few books (War and Peace and The Death of Ivan Ilyich).

A few times my cat was randomly obsessed with War and Peace by Tolstoy. He would not stop sniffing it like it smelled like another animal or something and then started licking it. It was so weird, I have no idea what could have been on that book that seemed so appealing to him.

On another occasion my 1920's Underwood typewriter flew off of the shelf it was on and landed across the room. It was pushed really far back on the shelf, nowhere near being able to fall off. Even weirder, it is surrounded by knick knacks and all kinds of stuff that are easily knocked over, yet none of them were touched/moved. It has so much stuff around it that it would literally have to be pulled out perfectly straight to not knock anything else down. Anyways, Keith blamed the cat, but he was on the other side of the room with me when it happened.

A few weeks ago I saw a mason jar that was lying on it's side on my coffee table somehow turn right-side up. Like it literally just picked itself up on it's own. I kind of freaked out for a second, but again, since nothing actually scary has happened I let it go.

My TV constantly turns on in the middle of the night. Like it probably happens once every week or so. And when it does, it will keep turning on several times throughout the night.

I also just have a general feeling sometimes that someone is in the room watching me. It's not all the time, which makes me thinks the ghost wanders into other units in our building. And I don't feel worried/scared, I just feel like someone is there. So that also makes me think he's not really trying to fuck with us or anything. I'm pretty convinced he's a writer or just likes literature and is from the early 20th century considering:

The Death of Ivan Ilyich (one of the books that keeps getting pulled out) was published in 1886

War and Peace (another one of the books that keeps getting pulled out) was published in 1869

Heart of Darkness was published in 1899

And my typewriter is an early 1920's era Underwood.

Oh and I believe our building was built in 1928. I'm not sure what was here before that though.

Mimma? That's cute!

I hate being stranded on the shore because of stupid womanly things like periods. I actually love the ocean; maybe not the attire, but being in the water. I'm the weirdo frolicking in the ocean wearing a baggy tee shirt and guy's swim trunks. I also make a fucking good sand castle.

Haha thank you. :D I'm on my periods too and we went to the beach with my classmates. No-one went swimming, but I would have liked to. :/ We only played ultimate and beach volley.

That's pretty creepy not going to lie! I'm pretty sure there's a ghost in my apartment building. But he doesn't really do much, hasn't done anything scary, and seems to come and go. Things just randomly turn on or get knocked off shelves. And sometimes things go missing only to randomly appear back where they belong.

I'm pretty sure we had a ghost in our previous apartment. If there was, he didn't do anything much, only in the night when I used to read books, I noticed that the lights chanced shades and I heard sometimes footsteps coming from our stairs. And I had that feeling that someone is watching me. And once the toilet got locked when no-one was in there and no-one picked the lock or anything. It was really hard to get it open and there was lights on when we got it opened again. I swear there wasn't lights on before it.

And there was a ghost in the same building where I was working some time ago. The building is old, must be over 60 years at least. Ghosts's name is Valtteri, he was a solider and he died there during war. He doesn't do anything scary, just sometimes things chance their place or fall down. One of the workers in there believes in ghosts like I do, and she told me that once she have been looking for ice ladle the whole day, it wasn't in the counter or under it, or next to coffee machines or in the kitchen, and then just like that she founds it in the middle of the floor behind the counter. And once she was picking dishes from the tables and coming back to wash them, she saw a cappuccino mug falling to the floor from the place it's not possible without someone shoving it off.

I find ghosts very fascinating, but i have to admit that sometimes they are a bit creepy.

--------------

I'm so excited about having my own house. :D I get to decorate it how ever I like and listen to music without someone always complaining about it...

Haha thank you. :D I'm on my periods too and we went to the beach with my classmates. No-one went swimming, but I would have liked to. :/ We only played ultimate and beach volley.

I'm pretty sure we had a ghost in our previous apartment. If there was, he didn't do anything much, only in the night when I used to read books, I noticed that the lights chanced shades and I heard sometimes footsteps coming from our stairs. And I had that feeling that someone is watching me. And once the toilet got locked when no-one was in there and no-one picked the lock or anything. It was really hard to get it open and there was lights on when we got it opened again. I swear there wasn't lights on before it.

And there was a ghost in the same building where I was working some time ago. The building is old, must be over 60 years at least. Ghosts's name is Valtteri, he was a solider and he died there during war. He doesn't do anything scary, just sometimes things chance their place or fall down. One of the workers in there believes in ghosts like I do, and she told me that once she have been looking for ice ladle the whole day, it wasn't in the counter or under it, or next to coffee machines or in the kitchen, and then just like that she founds it in the middle of the floor behind the counter. And once she was picking dishes from the tables and coming back to wash them, she saw a cappuccino mug falling to the floor from the place it's not possible without someone shoving it off.

I find ghosts very fascinating, but i have to admit that sometimes they are a bit creepy.

--------------

I'm so excited about having my own house. :D I get to decorate it how ever I like and listen to music without someone always complaining about it...

Same. I haven't yet really figured out what I believe in terms of what "ghosts" are though. It's hard for me to say if they're just some kind of imprint on the environment (so not an actual thinking person that is doing things, but more like a physical memory of a person that affects the environment) or if they're actual sentient spirits. There's scientific evidence that supports the imprint in a magnetic field theory, and in terms of what I believe (I'm a Buddhist and Taoist), that doesn't conflict with it. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, so it only makes sense that when we die, whatever energy that was contained is dispersed. But it seems hard to be able to then say that whatever makes us "us," our soul or whatever you want to call it, can be preserved. It seems even harder to say that the entirety of it can still exist as if nothing really changes except for the loss of a physical form (i.e. traditional ghosts). Who knows though.

I mean, I believe in reincarnation, but not in a literal simplistic manner (I don't think you die and then wake up a squirrel). It just goes back to conservation of energy, when our physical form cannot sustain itself any longer, it breaks down, and that energy has to go somewhere. And I suppose somehow it can retain tiny glimpses of memories of its past forms. I get deja vu a lot, have dreams that seem weird (just like random weird, nothing particularly interesting, so I don't even think about them) and then later they happen, and at times I feel like I was someone else or have some connection to something that I don't.

So who knows. Time and space are both relative. Theoretically, there's no reason time moves "forward" instead of "backward." Similarly, there's no physical explanation for why time seems to move in a direction at all (we should technically be able to move through time in the same way we move through space). Our minds are just somehow limited to being able to perceive the full reality of whatever time and space actually are.

Devan, I find your ghost a very interesting story and I agree with your theory! It would definitely make sense. I also loved reading about your ponderings on the subject of what ghosts may or may not be scintillating. I also enjoyed Mimma's recountings or ghost experiences.

I love the idea of the paranormal; not in the slasher-movie, demon-spirits everywhere strangling you with their entrails kind of paranormal, but the idea that after death, the earth retains a bit of your essence; a particle of whatever substance makes you you. I devour articles on the "science" of ghosts and people who consider themselves mediums or ghost hunters. I don't necessarily believe in it, but I find it very interesting and thought-provoking, especially when they explain their theories in terms of science instead of superstition alone.

I have an aunt who I am very close to named Paula. Aunt Paula has always loved ghosts, spirits, and haunted people and places as well as being scared for the adrenaline rush. She goes on ghost tours a lot, reads up constantly on the subject, and loves to tell me stories of experiences she has had that she considers an encounter with the "other side". I think that she helped me retain my interest in earthbound, bodiless spirits despite living in a house completely devoid of paranormal leanings. The closest thing to ghosts my family believe in are angels in the heavenly messenger sense, and their version don't have wings or guard people.

I have several theories I have developed or heard that I consider plausible, and love discussing them with people who will give me a chance to talk before writing me off as gullible (here's looking at you, Dad). I'm sorry that this post didn't make much sense because I'm really tired, and so I will end here.

• Upvote 1

So I found this on the Ugliest Tattoo section of memebase. The title is "This tattoo is making me have some serious questions". I'm thinkin whoever posted this just doesn't understand the meaning and the slight contradiction of the words :P Thoughts?stay_beautiful__keep_it_ugly_by_rabbitsareroadkill37-d3gqyfb.jpg

It was very interesting reading your theories Dia! I haven't really thought about reincarnation or the time and space thing, but they don't seem impossible to me,

The tattoo looks like that the artist doesn't have too steady hand. The writing looks shaky to me. But it seems very new when it still has the marks under the words so maybe it looks better when it has healed. I would have put the text other way around so other people can read it, but otherwise the tattoo is great. :) I wouldn't get that sentence tattooed myself because I think too many people has and I want my tattoos to be as unique as possible.

Ugliest tattoos sites has got a point usually and sometimes they are funny, but they should dig deeper and find out what's the tattoo really about in cases like this. Posting their opinion about the tattoo without knowing the background of it makes them just look stupid. :/

I agree about how the writing looks but at the same time, it's not too bad.

I also find the tattoos that say "To infinity and beyond" to be really cute. I don't like when they end up on the site. However, like you said, they normally pick the really ugly really tacky tattoos that deserve to be featured.

Yes I noticed, thank you ^_^

I'm happy. Watching Eurovision semi-final right now and the final is tomorrow. ^_^ This weekend will be relaxing!