river

Currently Reading

I ended up loving the story in Scorpio races, but now I need something very warm and cozy, cause I’m to sensitive for people being mutilated and killed by flesh-eating horses. 
I know MCR fans are supposed to love horror movies and zombies and blood and stuff, but I don’t.

I really want to reread persuasion by Jane Austen, but my mom borrowed my copy over a year ago and she never get around to read it, so I don’t get it back. Might borrow it at the library, or buy a new copy, since I never read it in English. 

Ahh I'm so pleased you liked it! Yeah it's quite violent for a YA novel. 

I liked Persuasion, although it's been a trillion years since I read it. It would be interesting to read the original verses the Danish, to see where the words/meanings differ.

Just starting Natalie Haynes' A Thousand Ships

Just started the Bell Jar. 

Picked it up at the library today together with Persuasion and The last letter from your lover by Jojo Moyes. I think I have to save Persuasion for last, cause I don’t think I will be able to prolong the others if I don’t finish within a month. 

Heeeeeeeeeey I'm back

The Bell Jar is dooooooooope I haven't read it since I was in high school but I went out of my way to own it because I love it (I literally work in a library so I don't buy all my books). Can't wait to hear thoughts!

I'm reading like 10 things rn cause I keep picking up different things without finishing the last one, but the main things are probably Brazen Femme: Queering Femininity which is a queer anthology dedicated to femmes which is fun, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer because I was something easy would keep my attention, and a couple of Margaret Atwood poetry books because I'm in a poetry class but I hate poetry and she's the only poet I can stand (actually I love her) so I'm looking for inspiration. 

For real, though, does anyone have suggestions for poetry that doesn't blow? Much appreciated ❤️

Mmmm my favourite poem is Tim Minchin's Storm, which is a 9 minute beat poem about an atheist meeting a hippie at a dinner party (it's rad).

Currently reading Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes. It's about Hitler. It's also quite funny. It works, I promise.

Ooh I love Tim Minchin, I'll check that one out! It probably won't help because my teacher is all about convoluted, pretentious poetry. I actually just had a critique and let me tell you he lost his shit over it. I'll drop it in the poetry thread in Art Corner lmao lmk if you ever read anything tolerable and comparable to that hot garbage lmaooooooo i hate poetry

ANYWAY. I finished like three of my books yesterday. Morning in the Burned House by Margaret Atwood is pretty great, would recommend if you're looking for poetry. Now I'm reading The Tibetan Book of the Dead on recommendation from the stoner drummer from Palaye Royale. Not sure why, I don't have thoughts I just read anything lol it's mostly prayers so far but I'm finding it relaxing at least. 

Let me know what you think of Look Who's Back? I'm always into recommendations. Also looks like it was made into a movie lol lmk if that would be worth watching in your opinion as Someone Who Read The Book

Just finished the Bell Jar. What can I say. It was a good book, although I think it had a slow start. It feels like something worth reading. A bit heavy, but could’ve been much heavier given the theme. I think I would recommend it, but not to everyone, if you understand what I mean? 

Gonna start on Jojo Moyes The last letter from your lover now, so that’s going to be something completely different!

The last letter from your lover was beautiful, though pretty predictable. No big surprises, but it makes you feel exactly what you want when you pick it up, and since it’s Jojo Moyes it’s not without some serious themes. 

Finally getting to Persuasion by Jane Austen. I already know I love it. 

Recently read a graphic novel called Are You Listening? And now I’m in the middle of Shiver because I’m on a YA kick while I get my mental faculties back and I’m rereading books I read in high school but can’t remember anymore. 

it’s going very slowly because depression and ECT have made retaining information and focusing very difficult for me, and I’m quite sure I have adult onset ADHD. 

Okay if you read the Shiver series you have to read Maggie's other work. Its a rule. Also everything that comes after Shiver is so, so much better in so many ways.

I'm reading Lolita and... it's not something I'm going to forget any time soon. It's slow going, a bit because my brain is full from college and a bit because it is frequently disgusting.

Brinn, do you read/listen to audiobooks? You might find them easier to focus on than printed words/ebooks?

Rereading pride and prejudice (for the billionth time), but this time my brand new deluxe edition with handwritten letters included. I can’t think of any book being more comforting and suiting for a time like this. 

I actually checked out the first book of The Raven Cycle at the same time because I remembered how much you loved them! Haven’t started it yet, but I will. I made myself read a couple chapters yesterday, so. Slowly. 

I actually have a bit of an issue with auditory processing so audiobooks and podcasts are even harder for me to follow. I used to love them, too. 😩

That's so interesting - I've never tried an audio book but am planning to with the Iliad because I've tried reading that and it just... didn't happen. Reading it turned out to be a good cure for insomnia. Nodded right off. I think having it narrated would help me keep track. It's all about what works for you and your brain, though. Some stories will work better in certain formats than others for different people.

Ahh I hope you like TRC! I'm doing a reread at the moment - Lolita needed a little holiday - and it's like having a hug from a friend. 

The Princess and the dragon and other stories about unlikely heroes by Francesca! Currently reading the paperback, and I’m in awe every time I ponder the fact that I kinda know the person who wrote the book I’m holding. I know I already read the book, but it wasn’t a physical book at that time. 

Also, audiobooks are so dependent on the person who is reading it. Some voices just don’t fit with the book, or they’re just annoying, and that destroys the experience! I always prefer reading myself, but audiobooks may work in certain situations. 

Oh my goodness I just melted a bit. Does this site still have emojis? 🥰

I am still on Lolita, but I took a lil break to read half of Maggie Stiefvater's bibliography plus her newest, Mister Impossible, which I think will haunt my bones until I am 80. Not sure how I feel about that. That's a lie, I love her work.

Yes to the audiobook voice thing! I looked up voice actors/narrators for a potential audiobook for The Princess and the Dragon, funnily. Amazon/Audible has this bank of voice samples you can choose and filter through, like 'British Northern Irish accent,' 'flirtatious vocal style,' 'erotica genre.' Quite weird but a fun research experience.

Ayyyy enjoy!

I finished The Well of Ascension this morning. It's part of the Mistborn series; I really liked the first novel but this one had a bit of middle book syndrome. I reckon I'll give the next (final?) book a go, though.