river

Currently Reading

One more review from the LA Review of Books (DOES have spoilers though!) I had you in mind Francesca when I read this...and any of you more interested in the technicalities of the written art.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/the-art-of-digression-j-d-salingers-seymour-an-introduction

I also wish to pick Mr. Iero's brain on this Salinger piece (Seymour: an introduction). His philosophy on artistic ability coming from unhappiness...I wonder if it stems from this particular Salinger short story. ^_^

verses fellow former MCRer Gerard, who seems to prefer happiness...

I apologize if this is getting into speculation of band member's personal lives or feelings, which is NOT ALLOWED on this site, but I know I've read the Frank part somewhere from he himself...and the Gerard part...well, I think has been inferred by what he's said, if not said explicitly by he himself.

Edit: Oh, and pick his brain about that review and this interesting notion that while music is an art that must be moving, that is to say, it must go somewhere...literature can stay in one place, so to speak, not necessarily have a story, but the reader still gains something of it. I am badgering this illustration but that's what I would love to ask him about.

Another one for Francesca, well not exactly, but her blog (review of Persuation was it?) kindof prompted this...

Have a question. For those of you familiar with some of Jane Austins works and the subsequent movies, to be particular pride and predudice and sense and sensibility...do you think it better to watch the movie first or read the book???

Sometimes I think watching first to get an idea and then reading, so that it's better the next time, but whatdo you think?

P.s. I happen to be a big Kate Winslet fan (she's in S&S right?) and so I would really like to watch that at some point. Maybe I will read that one first.

I think Joana was inspired by Jane Austin novels, if I remember correctly. So, hint hint, check out her Mischief series! The third book which I don't have or read yet, is inspired by and well kindof about the MCR members. Can't wait!

Sometimes I feel like the movies leave things out. Like I watched Jane Eyre, and when I read the novel I realized that whole, important parts of the story were not shown. I might have liked the movie more if I read the book first. I read P&P before I saw the movie and it helped me understand it a bit better, since I feel like those films sometime rely on looks a bit much and forget all the witty dialogue and narration.

One more review from the LA Review of Books (DOES have spoilers though!) I had you in mind Francesca when I read this...and any of you more interested in the technicalities of the written art.

https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/the-art-of-digression-j-d-salingers-seymour-an-introduction

I also wish to pick Mr. Iero's brain on this Salinger piece (Seymour: an introduction). His philosophy on artistic ability coming from unhappiness...I wonder if it stems from this particular Salinger short story. ^_^

verses fellow former MCRer Gerard, who seems to prefer happiness...

I apologize if this is getting into speculation of band member's personal lives or feelings, which is NOT ALLOWED on this site, but I know I've read the Frank part somewhere from he himself...and the Gerard part...well, I think has been inferred by what he's said, if not said explicitly by he himself.

Edit: Oh, and pick his brain about that review and this interesting notion that while music is an art that must be moving, that is to say, it must go somewhere...literature can stay in one place, so to speak, not necessarily have a story, but the reader still gains something of it. I am badgering this illustration but that's what I would love to ask him about.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Another one for Francesca, well not exactly, but her blog (review of Persuation was it?) kindof prompted this...

Have a question. For those of you familiar with some of Jane Austins works and the subsequent movies, to be particular pride and predudice and sense and sensibility...do you think it better to watch the movie first or read the book???

Sometimes I think watching first to get an idea and then reading, so that it's better the next time, but whatdo you think?

P.s. I happen to be a big Kate Winslet fan (she's in S&S right?) and so I would really like to watch that at some point. Maybe I will read that one first.

I think Joana was inspired by Jane Austin novels, if I remember correctly. So, hint hint, check out her Mischief series! The third book which I don't have or read yet, is inspired by and well kindof about the MCR members. Can't wait!

I always try to read the book first, but a film adaptation can really help understand the original - the diCaprio Romeo + Juliet really helped me get to grips with Shakespeare's language when I was studying the play, even though they left things out. There's an adaptation on the BBC at the moment of War and Peace; I'm going to try to read the novel first (probably won't happen) then try the TV show for a bit more understanding.

I'm about to start reading LOTR for the first time! We will see how it goes

Lord of the Rings right?...I think I read those?? No?? Now I really don't remember! I know I read like 90% of the Hobbit in high school. Wow! I really cannot remember!

Oh yeah...so I FINALLY got Not the Life It Seems by Tom Bryant. So stoked! I was surprised at how big it is! This will be a fun read. (I've already read the Frank joins MCR part twice! haha!)

LOTR is great but so involved, it can be hard to read but if you like history and the origin of languages and families, after you read the trilogy you should try The Silmarillion (and the Histories of Middle-Earth if you're willing to read all 12 volumes)

I'm not sure I'll get that deep into LOTR-verse, though I am excited to finally read it.

And he has never read ender's game soooooo

The book was amazing. I saw the movie with the girl from Alice in wonderland. Is there a better one?

There was a BBC (I think) adaptation with Ruth Wilson, the girl from Luther and The Affair. It was pretty good, although I've never seen any others.

I've never read LOTR! Read The Hobbit in fits and starts, I've always been intimated because people seem to either love or hate it!

LOTR is great but so involved, it can be hard to read but if you like history and the origin of languages and families, after you read the trilogy you should try The Silmarillion (and the Histories of Middle-Earth if you're willing to read all 12 volumes)

I'm not sure I'll get that deep into LOTR-verse, though I am excited to finally read it.

And he has never read ender's game soooooo

didn't know of this Brinn! Or maybe I just didn't pay attention. Like Rachel said, I am not THAT into it, but the stories are good. Did I ever say this, don't think so, but I did read Hobbit...about 90% (maybe I reread and finished this one...still can't remember)...I read most for High School, a book report, but ran out of time so I rented the cartoon...while others in my class may have not enjoyed reading and would watch movies a lot for their homework (not recommending this you school kids out there), I actually really liked this book and couldn't believe I missed reading the best part!...that's why I feel I MUST have gone back and read it...eventually.

I'm reading like ten books because I'm trashy and like to have variety to choose from, but I guess the "main" books I'm reading right now are The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality and The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys (I've been putting off reading the last issue for like a month because I don't want it to be over ;-;)

I'm reading like ten books because I'm trashy and like to have variety to choose from, but I guess the "main" books I'm reading right now are The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality and The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys (I've been putting off reading the last issue for like a month because I don't want it to be over ;- ;)

ha! i've had three going, i think...no, four, then three, now two...but going to add one more soon...picked up A Farewell to Arms again tonight...so relaxing after Not the Life it Seems. The latter is a great book, but very painful to read. It's addicting and kindof sad too to see all the shit these guys went through and go through in the biz...plus, it's a biography of sorts, so all the dates and places, even though I've heard most already, well it gets a little draining...like homework haha So, taking a break for this weekend...

maybe i'll get my list back down to two. :D

sorry, that's Sir Raynard! (lol) and there's King Gerard and King Michael and...oh, King Francis  haha I still have a few more...hey, could Geise be Dewees? Idk...I know I've told some that I don't do MCR fanfic, but that's cuz I was afraid of the weird stuff...this is more of a new story just with some coincidental common things and names. Anyway, you should all check it out!

http://www.amazon.com/Knights-End-Tales-King-Volume/dp/1514211904/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51cYSkOJB3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&refRID=0B907PJ9MDKEGHE6T4TC

Awesome G!!!

I started a bit of two Vonnegut books last night (short stories and...I forget the name..."Mother???")...but I also have to read "Sense and Sensibility" because it needs to go back to the library...looking forward to all of these!

Edit: 1) last night, I also started S&S. The topic is very interesting to me, but I didn't get far.

2) The Vonnegut book is called "Mother Night". This is VERY good! (and an easy read) Like seriously, why is it that I like all these things Frank suggests??? (oh, maybe cuz he just has great taste! ;)) Or maybe, I like it more... because I can see why Frank likes it. ^_^

3) I also looked up that novel Charbarmanning suggested to me (forgot the name, but it's saved on my Tablet). That also really does look interesting...wait, what was it about again??? but I do remember it being interesting...was it another war novel? (seriously, where's my memory? I must be overloading again ;))

Hmm love this topic! Let's see, what am I reading atm?....well, tbh, I'm actually reading Vonnegut too (Player Piano, but will be checking out the others too) and also just finished Not the Life it Seems, oh and I like Joana's books too!!!