river

Currently Reading

I bought and read all of #Girlboss while flying back home. It was pretty interesting, especially for people who are wanting to start their own online business (and I know there are a couple of you on here ;)) it gave a few good tips on how to be a professional as well. Mostly just infused me with the feeling of wanting to be a badass woman but not really knowing how to go about it :lol:

I've been seeing that all over Instagram (of course). I keep meaning to get hold of it - I love books that make me want to do something. Wish they'd do the heavy lifting too though!

I think one of the best things you can take from the book is how important attention to detail is, as well as customer service. Of course this seems like common sense, but you really see how it can be life changing with Sophia's story!

Nine stories and then A Farewell to Arms

and then maybe some of Joana Ocasio's work. You all should look into this...writings inspired by MCR...especially Frank.

Maybe some of you know 9stories as For Esme: With Love and Squalor. This also happens to be the title of one of the stories within the collection. And absolutely fantastic. I can't tell you how much I love this story, some others too from this collection, as well as Catcher in the Rye. Really highly recommend these!

I know who JD Salinger is, I meant I don't know the collection. 

Left too big a gap between readings of Lady Chatterley and lost the thread. Might give A Christmas Carol another go, since this is basically the time of year to do it...

Ok. I kinda thought you might, but just in case...or someone else was reading this. ;)

I love 'Catcher,' but I also read 'Franny & Zooey' by Salinger and was not impressed.

NOT right? Cuz if so, THANK YOU! I am not the only one! Cuz I mean I really really really dug Catcher, but not F&Z. Was weird. I mean I like the writing, it was just kindof...well all I took from it was a lot of swearing, smoking, and weird religious?? stuff (and bad manners to the dear old Mom). I mean no offense to those who like it (Frank), but it just didn't go anywhere that I cared to explore. Nine stories is again more interesting...at least most of them. K, rant finished. XD

Haha yeah exactly! I kept waiting for something to happen, but then the book ended and all they had done was sit around, smoke, and complain about stuff. It kind of turned me off Salinger after that, but I will check out 9 stories if it is more interesting lol. Holden complained a lot too, but I least he did things during the book, and there was some sort of redemption at the end!

• Upvote 2

You should definitely check out Nine Stories, Rachel and all of you. Oh man! The last story, Teddy, is overwhelmingly awesome! Gosh, the words elude me on how to describe it, but the ending...whoo, all the hairs on my body are standing up! Lol (I just finished it) So brilliant! And since we are on the MCR forum, in all honesty, I was thinking about Gerard as the story progressed...not exactly sure to what truth is here but someone called him genius the other day (well some people call everyone genius but...) I happened to agree with this sentiment...I could totally see Gee writing something like this as I think about it more...idk, wow, hehe. Pretty awesome cerebral moment here! Although it was just a short story, I think I have to say this could be Salinger's finest.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT (though, not exactly) And since we talked about Franny and Zooey (a little bit), the stuff that was kindof going on in that book, the theories and the philosophical stuff...well, Teddy actually provides that resolution, that "something to happen".

I love A Christmas Carol. I read it in middle school, and I still like to reread it during the holidays sometimes.

I skipped the Franny and Zooey stuff because I keep meaning to read it.

I tried A Christmas Carol as a child, it felt long so I might have to take a look with my big adult eyes. I just started Persuasion - I really like it so far. :)

Eh, was just saying that the other ones are better than F&Z, but yeah, you should still read it.

*And I meant it's Frnk IERO's favorite, but you guys might've known that.

Christmas carol-not sure i ever READ it, but the story's been done to death in so many forms, I am done...but you folks enjoy!

I love A Christmas Carol. I read it in middle school, and I still like to reread it during the holidays sometimes.

ditto

actually, maybe i did read it in school? yea like too many years ago! :P

Started A Farewell to Arms. Never read it before. It is a war story...but it's also quite sexy! (Emoji for shocked eyes). It's respectfully done, but just very honest and from the male perspective, which is quite fresh with all the women's romance novels out there (not that I really know much of this) anyway, I am enjoying it as I enjoyed Salinger's works and I can see how Hemingway was an inspiration for Salinger.

Me again!

still have to finish the Hemingway, but yesterday started a new author. Still working on my full review, don't worry, won't bore you with all that and share any spoilers, but it's good, actually it's a great story, captivating. Even if it's a bit predictable, there is still suspense and drama (much like an adventure movie-i guess I watch more movies tham read books). In case you are wondering,

http://www.amazon.com/Mischief-Tales-Joana-Acevedo-Ocasio/dp/149229439X/ref=la_B008MMK18O_1_2/189-4386810-8470531?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450377886&sr=1-2

Mischief, tales of a king...written by the same author who is making the Frank book, Joana Acevedo Ocasio.

Finished Raise high... it's another one of those leaving me saying "huh?" Gonna have to look up some explanation s now. B it is brilliantly descriptive and just paints a beautiful picture of people and their ways. I'm sure I would have been similarly impressed with Franny and Zooey had I not been so turned off by their characters. Btw, this is kindof like a prequel to F&Z, even though it was written after. (I think most of Salingers works were written in this reverse chronological order actually).

K, going to look for answers now!

Oh man are there some great reviews on this goodreads.com! This, however, was my favorite and actually sounds most like me, except that I happened to like Raise High as well as the little bit I've so far read of Seymour. I would definitely recommend these! I actually find no real spoilers here so read on! And if you're like me, you'd get a kick out of this review just by itself.

Enjoy!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5114.Raise_High_the_Roof_Beam_Carpenters_Seymour
Mar 07, 2007 rated it it was ok

Recommends it for: Salinger completists

Anyone who read my review of Salinger's "Nine Stories" knows I love this man's work to death. I've read and enjoyed "Catcher in the Rye" and "Franny and Zooey" a whole hell of a lot too. I picked this up with a heart filled with admiration and optimism. Well that optimism was dashed upon the rocks of Salinger's self-indulgence and apparent disregard for his readers. haha, disagree but understandable.

This book compiles two short stories first published in the New Yorker and are the final two entries in Salinger's Glass family saga. "Raise High the Roofbeams, Carpenters" focuses on Buddy Glass and his trip to his brother Seymour's wedding. "Seymour: an Introduction" again finds Buddy downstage center and is his way of coming to terms with his brother's memory through literature. 

Like "Franny and Zooey" we are served up first a good story followed by a not so good story. However where "Zooey" was rambling and a tad unfocused it was at least a short story. "Seymour" on the other hand is a goddamned mess. haha! It reads like the notes an author would take down before actually starting the job of composition. For every sentence of quality and clarity there seem to be pages upon pages of self-indulgent masturbation. I guess I happen to enjoy the self-indulgent writer. This makes for an interminable and ultimately frustrating read. 

It's starts off promisingly though. "Raise High the Roofbeams..." is a delight. It is a comically poignant trip into the past. Buddy Glass getting over a bout of pleurisy in the camp hospital must get to New York and be the only family member at his brother Seymour's wedding. What follows is typical Seymour not to mention Salinger. As usual the characters are so well observed and vividly presented we can practically smell them. love!There is the usual masterful blending of the serious and the comic. love! Salinger doesn't so much write a story as create a world that he allows us to visit for a spell. yes!

The greatest reward of course is getting to spend a few more moments with a member of the Glass family. In reading over all of Salinger's writing in the last few months I've become almost as obsessed with reading about them as Salinger is writing about them. me too! That's why I thought despite warnings that I could indeed read and enjoy "Seymour." However it's total disregard for it's readers enjoyment almost dispelled the warm glow I felt after reading "Raise High the Roofbeams..."

So unless you have absolutely nothing better to read or do and you are a completist avoid "Seymour" like grim death. haha or are like me and will simply love it! (but I like that "grim death" part XD)