river

Currently Reading

^ When I first read your post, I forgot the discussion was about the "new" Harper Lee book, and thought you were referring to Watchmen the comic book. Still fits in context! The ending of that comic is pretty mind-blowing.

I'm thinking about re-reading Harry Potter for the millionth time... I'm planning a Potter-themed Halloween party and I have it on the brain :rolleyes:

sorry to say, I never read the comic. Is the movie at all close to it? Might be easier for me to get the movie here.

Harry Potter? I still have to read like the last...or wait, I only actually read the first? Maybe I shouldn't admit that here...but the movie was soo well done and I didn't have time to read them, so I started watching. Even then, I still have 2 or 3 to catch up with. :P

Francesca, is that David Ducovney? Sp? Ohhh Holy COW and india I just "got it". Hmm, I am kinda vegetarian without reading the book, but I also eat only certified halal meat that avoids all the commercial money grubbing awful ways they produce meats here. (idk about UK, if or how bad it is there). Funnily enough, there are also places in India where people eat this way too (halal) meaning not ALL Indians are vegetarian. But they certainly do have some great vegetarian cuisine! Wait, so is it bad in UK too? What made YOu read this book?

The movie is atrocious compared to the comic. They changed the ending and added a lot of ridiculous things. I saw it in theater and was so mad that I wasted money on it.

The Harry Potter movies... I feel the same way about. You miss a lot by only watching them and not reading the book.

I think the only book-to-movie adaptation I've really liked is Fight Club, and that movie is pretty word for word what's written in the book.

is the meat preparation process bad there as it is in US? halal, kosher, etc aside I mean.

I have absolutely no idea.

The movie is atrocious compared to the comic. They changed the ending and added a lot of ridiculous things. I saw it in theater and was so mad that I wasted money on it.

The Harry Potter movies... I feel the same way about. You miss a lot by only watching them and not reading the book.

I think the only book-to-movie adaptation I've really liked is Fight Club, and that movie is pretty word for word what's written in the book.

I think it's so ironic that Emma Watson is a UN ambassador for women's rights yet film Hermione was watered down almost beyond recognition. <_<

UGH Watchmen (the movie) was SO. BAD. The novel has so many interweaving stories and details, every time I read it I find new elements. And the movie was just another impending doom moody superhero film. I was so disappointed. And why did they re-write the entire end plot?? I just don't get it.

I wish I could go back in time and wait to read Harry Potter until after the movies so that I could enjoy the film versions more because I wouldn't constantly be comparing them to the books. And then when I'd read the books after, they'd be even better.

I just remember reading the ending of watchmen and being so mind blown... And not seeing that in the movie was sooo disappointing :(

UGH Watchmen (the movie) was SO. BAD. The novel has so many interweaving stories and details, every time I read it I find new elements. And the movie was just another impending doom moody superhero film. I was so disappointed. And why did they re-write the entire end plot?? I just don't get it.

I wish I could go back in time and wait to read Harry Potter until after the movies so that I could enjoy the film versions more because I wouldn't constantly be comparing them to the books. And then when I'd read the books after, they'd be even better.

I think that's my plan. Finish the Harry Potter movies, then go back and read. Maybe the longer books weren't captured so well on film, but the first, the one I actually read, I thought was pretty accurate. The hat thing was just how I pictured it. Anyway, that's my plan. Haven't read or seen the others but I am going to watch MadMax cuz I just got it.

What I really wish is that they made the HP books into a TV series instead of a film series, like they did with A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. That would have been so amazing!

What I really wish is that they made the HP books into a TV series instead of a film series, like they did with A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones. That would have been so amazing!

They still can, you know! Maybe in a few years when Dan, Emma, and Rupert are a little older so it doesn't seem like they're being replaced. Then they could really flesh out the story and include the thousand and one things that they didn't have room to include in the movies

Yes I think so they're lovely! It always irritates me that CDs have one cover, but books depend on the publisher. Some country-specific book covers are terrible. If I ever do write a book and I'm lucky enough to have it sold internationally, there will be one cover and it'll be one which was the result of collaboration between the author and I  - not the result of a paragraph the illustrator was allowed to read and told to recreate.

One of the silliest things I ever read was how John Green wanted to have the cover of 'Looking for Alaska' have just the smoke, but the publishers put the candle nub because they didn't want it to look like cigarette smoke. Well it was supposed to be cigarette smoke, because cigarettes are one of the main motifs in the book! I think they released it later without the candle...

Just finished rereading the first two Cormoran Strike novels and the second Miss Peregrine book. Now starting The Night Circus.

It's really inspired me to redecorate everything into black and white.

I'll have to check that book out. The Night Circus is about magic and stuff as well.

I really like Maggie Stiefvater's writing, so I want to read that series. I had the same reaction when I heard of Shiver because it sounded like a dumb twilight-type supernatural romance but I actually really really enjoyed it

Right now, these:

The 6th Ward (actually an Attack on Titan fanfiction, but a really good Attack on Titan fanfiction that, like, everybody should read. Everybody.)

This book by Dick Gregory (linked because some might find the title offensive)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas