river

Currently Reading

Nothing :/ Because I suck. School leaves me no time for enjoying anything. Literally, no enjoyment in life because I'm too busy staying up until 3 am to finish art projects that make me miserable :(

i'm trying to read a book on mythology, but so far it's been a hopeless endeavor.

going to B&N soon since i have a giftcard, and i'll hopefully get some books that will keep my attention.

Fortunately, the milk is exactly how Dinosaurs on a Ship should have been. But you know, Moffat is in charge of DW so of course, we got…what we got….

also, everyone who loves time travel and dinosaurs should read Fortunately, the milk by Neil Gaiman.

I started Hamlet yesterday. 99% sure I will never finish it.

I have serious issues with this play. But it's about the awkward casting of 40 year olds who are portraying a 17 year old in puberty with daddy and mommy issues.

I've seen it played with quite a young cast, but I think the actors tend to be older because it's a play which requires a lot of acting and/or life experience to really capture the characters' depth. Plus if Hamlet's a university student he's probably in his twenties, not his teens, though obviously it depends on what the director's going for.

the point is his lover was 13 and he WAS supposed to 17/18 and i just cannot accept someone 50 in the role and I refuse to support any production because it is a bitter point of contention and I hate how actors I adore have played the shit out of the it

But isn't the point of theatre that it gets reinterpreted by each production? I just finished studying King Lear and for about a century it was performed with an altered ending because the original was considered too depressing. If I saw it played that way now it would be odd but not as odd as some versions I've come across (there was a Russian opera performance a few years ago which was equally brilliant and terrifying!). There was one in London recently where the actor playing Lear was about twenty years younger than the average actor is in that role, but he he did it brilliantly, because he was a great actor and worked well within that production.

Shakespeare's work wouldn't have endured if productions hadn't interpreted it differently over the years, and to dismiss one based only upon the age of the actors is a little narrow-minded - surely we should dismiss them on whether or not they're totally shit performers?

I know

I love theatre. I grew up with it and in it. I majored it in. But I have issues and this is one of them, my love.