river

Currently Reading

I think she may have been sheltered. Mormons can be very Puritan about things. They have disturbing views on many things such as sex. Where it's almost made to be feared. They also have to have a stockade of food for the end of the world.

That's what I thought about LDS views on sex, growing up Mormon and surrounded by devout Mormons. Turns out that, at least in my ward, sex isn't such a taboo topic, it just isn't mentioned to or around kids. At all. At the first weddings and bridal showers I started being invited to in my late teens I was pretty stunned to see lingerie given as presents, and sex and birth control joked about and mentioned unabashedly. Weird transition.

Also, to be fair, the food storage isn't necessarily for the end of the world (aka the Second Coming), it's also for natural disasters and other issues where food and water will be hard to come by. It's helped a lot of people, for example: in instance of Katrina, a lot of Mormons took in their neighbors because they were the only ones with enough food, clean water, candles, and survival supplies. Mormons are also good at backwoods camping; who knew?

On topic: I just read World War Z and am moving on to a compendium my friend left me of The Walking Dead graphic novels.

the confessions of st. augustine

figured i'll do some catholic reading if i'm going to a catholic college

the ocean at the end of the lane

...finally

Aahhhh, I can't wait to read that one. Please tell us how it is!

I'm reading the 300th AP issue

• Upvote 1

Aahhhh, I can't wait to read that one. Please tell us how it is!

It's a bit slow, but the mythology is sooo great.

I'm about to start Jurassic Park.

I finished reading The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart not too long ago, and that was pretty good. It was about Merlin, King Arthur, and the Arthurian legends, so I found it interesting. Also, before reading that book, I read The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Amazing book about the Arthurian legends, I would definitely recommend it.

I have to finish my book reviews on both of the books mentioned above, for a summer reading project, and then I plan on going to the library to pick up some more books. I am not sure what yet, but I am thinking of getting some nonfiction books, just to change it up a bit.

Went to the library today and got some books that ended up all being airplane-related, so I am currently reading:

Pandora's Clock by John Nance- everyone on board an airplane is exposed to a dangerous new form of influenza and no one on the ground will let the plane land because of this

The Flying Book by David Blatner- everything you ever wanted to know about flying on airplanes (a lot of facts, how planes fly, aviation history, etc.)

Unfriendly Skies by Captain "X" and Reynolds Dodson- insight into the aviation industry given by an experienced (yet anonymous) major commercial airline pilot

I haven't been reading as much recently as I usually do but I did start Dust by Joan Frances Turner. I'm a bit undecided how I feel about it so far but we'll see how it goes!

Is it just like beating you over the head with not subtext and morals and lessons

like come one, kids aren't that stupid, bad writing?

Is it just like beating you over the head with not subtext and morals and lessons

like come one, kids aren't that stupid, bad writing?

It's definitely written for Mormons... like half the phrases, sayings, places, and names would be totally foreign to someone who hadn't been LDS for a number of years. It's written in that way that's not exactly preachy, but with the assumption that whoever's reading it knows what is/isn't against the church guidelines without being told. It almost reads like sarcasm at some points. The writing itself is amateurish at best. The plot is pretty interesting, if not unique (time-travel).