river

Currently Reading

finished The Amber Spyglass.

Sad about Will and Lyra but I don't think it could have ended any other way than that.

like that dw episode doomsday

she had to be stuck there

-_-

until they ruined in.

if you consider it ruined.

but still!

tragic and amazing.

they ruined the amber spyglass? or doomsday? or both?

i totally cried at both that book and doomsday.

heck, i still cry about doomsday...

Neither.

I still cry when I watch Doomsday too.

God that was just painful.

reading this young adult book called Fracture. Pretty decent.

Reread To Kill a Mockingbird last week for school, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. Moved on to The Secret Garden, which was my one of my favourite books when I was about seven... It's wierd rereading and seeing things differently to how I did a few years ago.

its fine,i don't think it'll by one of my favorites, i just don't see what the whole 'THE HUNGER GAMES IS AMAZING!!' hype was all about.

maybe that ruined it for me. but now that i've started it, i'll have to finish it, AND then read the other 2 also, i can't leave it in the middle.

My friends and brother have all read Hunger Games, and I was planning on reading them in the summer, because people said they couldn't put them down, etc., and I wanted to read them at my own pace without worrying about schoolwork - but then my parents decided we must see the film, and we did, and... I'm in two minds as to whether I should bother with the books.

I mean, I liked the way the film was made, but I kept thinking "I bet there's more to this conversation/storyline/scene in the book, and I'd like to understand it." Also I needed to pee throughout the movie, so maybe I wasn't in the best of moods.

Also people called the films and books "The new Harry Potter and the new Twilight."

Don't even get me started on how incorrect that sentence is.

i haven't seen the movie yet, but from what i've heard, the movie and book are like companions to each other.

not like HP, where the movies and books are basically separate entities. but the movie expands on the book and vice versa.

especially since the book was written in first person, and i don't think the movie was made that way...?

so if you like the movie, it's probably worthwhile to read the book.

again, i haven't seen it yet, but i've heard this from many people who've seen the movie and have read and liked the books.

and yeah, i really enjoyed the hunger games, and i couldn't put them down when i read them.

but... they don't compare to HP imo...

(disregarding twilight comment)

but you have to think of it as in terms of media hype, and the "new generation."

HP came out when i was in elementary school, and i started reading it when i was eight. that was about eleven years ago.

twilight came out when i was thirteen, i read it when i was fourteen.

the hunger games came out when i was sixteen, i read it last summer (age nineteen.)

of course i'm not going to think that the hunger games, or twilight, is "the new hp," because i basically grew up living and breathing hp.

but there are many readers out there who didn't grow up reading hp- twilight/the hunger games are contemporary to them, and are their defining book series.

(of course i have issues with twilight being included in that, but hey, as long as they're interested in reading things other than twilight later on, i'm cool. i would have issues with people reading only HP or the hunger games, even though they're very good.)

and in terms of the media, the hunger games is most definitely the new HP or twilight. the hp series is effectively over, and most of its fans are grown up. twilight's last movie is going to come out soon. but the hunger games has just started (in the eyes of the media) and has tons of devoted fans and young stars for them to follow. so, yeah, it's the new thing.

Katniss is streets ahead of Bella. Bella should actually take lessons from her on how to be a person....

and

The sun also rises

I like it.

the banter is really fast moving and gives me a headache

but I also broke my glasses and that could explain the pain....

i've been trying to read that book for like a year.

i swear i'll try and finish it this summer (since i didn't bring it to new york).

I'm part way through reading Mockinjay. I finished the first two in three days... I just couldn't put them down :unsure: It took me a while to get used to the style of writing, since it was clearly aimed at teenagers. Once I got over the teenager-y language and tried to ignore the sappy romance stuff in the first book, I really enjoyed them. I actually enjoyed the film more though. I'm not sure if that's because I watched the film before reading the books or not.

I felt that the film was aimed at a slightly older audience than the book. The whole romance thing didn't seem to be made quite as obvious as in the book, which pleased me. The book is good for background knowledge and for explaining things that weren't made particularly clear in the film, but I wouldn't say it's a necessary read.

I think Hunger Games was over hyped because it was a fresher and younger Logan's Run/ Battle Royale. Both of those books are more adult and this one is for younger people to get into and it works. I prefer BR because of the more fucked up nature and circumstances and themes. And I think it's just better written...

Right, definitely going to read HG in the summer! I want to form my own opinions, at least.

Reading books with a different target audience is good, acually, because you start to appreciate different types of writing, and learn to notice the crappy, or really special, stuff more quickly.

finally finished with Hunger Games.

i really don't know what to make of it though,i couldn't put them down, but that may be cause once i start a book i have to finish it, whether i like it or not.

i guess its okay, as long you don't go in with two many expectations and thinking about what others have said. it is a book clearly meant for teenagers, and i some places i felt like she just didn't explain the past of Panem enough, like how it got there, like when in Mockinjay they explain the 'English word Hijack', its as if most of it is left upto to us, to maybe make up our own versions of things.

i liked the movie because of the fact that they showed the Gamemakers view point, and didn't dwell too much on Katniss-Peeta (which was cute at times :) ). Its like the Movies is an introduction to The Hunger Games, if you like it, then you can read the books to find out more and go in-depth.

finally finished with Hunger Games.

i really don't know what to make of it though,i couldn't put them down, but that may be cause once i start a book i have to finish it, whether i like it or not.

i guess its okay, as long you don't go in with two many expectations and thinking about what others have said. it is a book clearly meant for teenagers, and i some places i felt like she just didn't explain the past of Panem enough, like how it got there, like when in Mockinjay they explain the 'English word Hijack', its as if most of it is left upto to us, to maybe make up our own versions of things.

i liked the movie because of the fact that they showed the Gamemakers view point, and didn't dwell too much on Katniss-Peeta (which was cute at times :) ). Its like the Movies is an introduction to The Hunger Games, if you like it, then you can read the books to find out more and go in-depth.

It reminded me of Twilight in the sense that some things were over explained in the first person narration that wasn't needed but others things were more ambiguous that I would have liked to know more about.

Her Gale isn't my boyfriend repeatage was annoying. I liked her story about Peeta and the bread when I look back but her constant (maybe me being over dramatic) comparison was annoying.

I think some of the stuff she worried about wasn't something someone should have been worrying about. She was in a battle fighting to the death that her sister was supposed to be doing. Right?

some of her concerns just were bleeeeeeh.

I wasn't moved and I found myself forcing myself to continue because I had to (i have to finish once I start) instead of joy/concern for characters and plot.

as a young adult piece for teens, it's a good one. I see why people like it because of the serious theme/setting

But it could have been better.

exactly! like the whole 'i owe him' thing was explained too much, but other things were just left to us, and i would have liked to know more about maybe the history or what time they're in, how the districts were formed.

uh-huh, she just always seemed to be worrying about things that just weren't important. instead of concentrating on the games.

I like Peeta the most out of everyone in it.maybe cause he never killed anyone directly, it was always by accident. i think the only time i was actually interested in reading it was when i started Mockinjay,to find out what happens to Peeta, i read it through to the end, interested and slightly annoyed to find out what happens to him. And in the end, the way they made Gale just kind of disappear, if his departure was to be so abrupt and non-important, then why drag on the whole Katniss/Gale angle?

But my younger cousin liked it alot! i feel old now, cause all teenagers like it, and i don't get it.

I wasn't moved and I found myself forcing myself to continue because I had to (i have to finish once I start) instead of joy/concern for characters and plot.

as a young adult piece for teens, it's a good one. I see why people like it because of the serious theme/setting

But it could have been better.

Ugh. i hate the whole having to finish a book, no matter how bad it is. <_<

I agree. I would have liked to know how the whole country started, why the name change, more about the rebels. I like ambiguous things too but give me some stuff. It felt like the author didn't know either.

I feel old too aha.

In five years I'll be 30

o.o

Famous Five - Five run away together.

i don't care how old i get, Enid Blyton is timeless.

i still have 9 years to get to 30. i still don't know if i miss being a teenager or not, doesn't really seem like that big a difference.

I'm reading this manga where this teen jokingly orders a sex toy in human form it's a "boyfriend for three days!" scam thing. It's cute and hilarious and what you'd expect from Japan.

Abosloute Boyfriend. It's basically the girl version of Chobits.