Mcr Tours

Agent Encore

In this topic I want to discuss MCR's tours. I want you guys to share your memories, but more that that I want your thought on something. Did you guys think the World Contamination Tour shows were extremely short? They were playing shows that were only 75-90 minutes long. I'm not complaining, they played the hell out of those shows, despite their length, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first time seeing them, however I feel like their shows should've been longer. Were their past tours this short as well? I know it's hard for a band to play for an extended period of time, but they're so damn good, I need my two plus hours! Just thought I'd get your guys's opinions on this.

I didnt think the WCT shows were short at all! In fact, i was surprised they played as long as they did! The HCT shows were the ones that were short... but that was a given. I think they had a longer set on Project Revolution Tour than HCT. I really dont think i even pay attention to how long the set is.. i am just so mesmerized by the fact that my heros are on stage, that i dont realize where time goes!

I didnt think the WCT shows were short at all! In fact, i was surprised they played as long as they did! The HCT shows were the ones that were short... but that was a given. I think they had a longer set on Project Revolution Tour than HCT. I really dont think i even pay attention to how long the set is.. i am just so mesmerized by the fact that my heros are on stage, that i dont realize where time goes!

Looking back at WCT I see that the shows were about as long as the Black Parade shows, but after they release their 5th album I'd like to see them add a few more songs to the setlist.

I thought they were quite long actually. The longer the show they play the more worn out they're going to get, and the less enthusiastic they're going to get, and the fewer shows they'll want to play. That's how I see it. After the long and frequent shows of The Black Parade tour they had mentally and physically exhausted themselves too much, and I wouldn't want that to happen again.

Has anyone ever randomly bounced around their room singing into a hairbrush (yeah, c'mon, I know you all have :P)? How long did you keep it up for? 'Cause I'd be struggling to keep it up for half an hour, nevermind one and a half hours! To be honest, I'm impressed they can perform with that amount of energy for that long!

At the beginning of the uk tour they did 21 songs....a couple shows later they had dropped 3 off this. Wasn't happy at all about this.

In comparison the standard black parade tour was 13 songs, then the 8 in the encore. 21/22 songs should be the minimum for a band of their calibre at this stage in their career, they have 4+ albums to represent. So yes, i agree this tour's show have generally been shorter then they should be.

I agree with Martyn...1st time I saw them, they played 21 songs. It was during their US tour after the big The Black Parade tour. The longest set I've had at a WCT show was 16 songs. I'd rather there be less songs than no shows at all, but I feel with a shorter setlist, it becomes a bit stale. It feels stale to me because they usually play all/most of the singles, and that takes up a good portion of the setlist right there...when you've seen Helena/Not OK/WTTBP/Teenagers at every show, it gets a bit tiring. However, I do realize most people don't see MCR often, or perhaps it's their first show and they're really hoping to hear the singles. I also realize, in a position like the Honda Civic Tour, that it was probably crucial that they played their biggest singles to not alienate the Blink-182 fans.

I guess there are just some songs that have dropped out of the show rotation that I'd really love to see and having even 1-2 more songs would allow a few of those songs to come back :)

I'd also like to add, I don't think the length of their Honda Civic Tour sets were in their control. They were given a certain amount of time and sadly had to play within those means. I wish it would've been ACTUAL co-headliners as it was advertised and had equal set lengths, but...can't change the past :)

It's pretty typical for headlining bands, in this genre of music, to play an hour and a half. Older classic rock bands and some indie-rock bands play longer. More classic punk or hardcore bands will sometimes only play 30 minutes. It also depends on the given timeframe -- when the show starts, the opening bands, technical issues -- because most venues won't let the show go past a certain time.

With the exception of the large-production The Black Parade tour (which completely exhausted the band and made them miserable), they have typically played 15-19 songs.

For perspective:

Rise Against plays around 18 songs on their tour. AFI played 19 last time I saw them a few years ago. MSI plays around 17 when they headline.

MCR played 17-18 songs on the World Contamination Tour in May.

I saw them a few times during the WCT and I would have to say that their sets were pretty standard though I wish they would have been a couple more songs longer. ;)

I thought there set at Reading festival would have been longer though. They didn't even use up all of their time slot. :o

I guess there are just some songs that have dropped out of the show rotation that I'd really love to see and having even 1-2 more songs would allow a few of those songs to come back :)

I think they should have a period in the set, where they mix things up a bit. Maybe for 3 songs. Just where they'd have their standard setlist, not changing much from night to night...then for these 3 they throw in rarities, songs they never play, covers....heck even try the odd requests.

I really think they can play more...They have done before, even on this tour. Even if there was an acoustic segment i'm pretty sure nobody would complain. (does anyone complain about the cancer intro?)

I think they should have a period in the set, where they mix things up a bit. Maybe for 3 songs. Just where they'd have their standard setlist, not changing much from night to night...then for these 3 they throw in rarities, songs they never play, covers....heck even try the odd requests.

I really think they can play more...They have done before, even on this tour. Even if there was an acoustic segment i'm pretty sure nobody would complain. (does anyone complain about the cancer intro?)

On WCT, I felt like they did that a bit. Those sets seemed much more varied than the Christmas shows in the US or HCT. At my show, we got Vampires, Bulletproof Heart, and Neat Neat Neat which was cool :) Some shows they threw in Sorrows, 1-2 shows got Party Poison (which was extremely rare).

I just felt more like the Christmas shows/Honda Civic were a bit less varied. But, we have to keep in mind a few things about their touring this year: Bob was gone.

With Bob gone, it left them with Pedicone. He had awhile before they started touring, I believe, to rehearse with the band and learn the songs. As the tour went on, their setlists were able to get more and more varied, bringing in more old favorites. Then another big event happened: Pedicone was gone.

So that left us with the other drummer for most of Honda Civic. With their already shortened setlists due to Blink (or some other higher power) not giving them much time to play, they had to stick to many "basics" in the MCR rep. At my show, it was Jared's (???) 3-4 show, I believe, and during sound check they were going over Mama a bunch of times. You could physically SEE Gerard and Ray pulsing the beat for Jared at the transition into the slow tempo. So that situation...getting a whole new drummer...really stunted what they could do with their setlists for awhile. It was kind of out of the boy's control. We're lucky they even toured that week! I'm really glad my show didn't get canceled!

So while I would've liked more variation, especially during HCT (although I'm really glad I got SCARECROW), I understand why there wasn't.

They didn't really play around much with the WCT setlist once it hit America at all. They played BPH and Vampires at almost every show. The only time they really changed the set list is if they were playing more than one show in the same state or area, like the 1st night of the Jersey show was almost the same as their setlist from the rest of the tour, but the 2nd night they switched it up. They played 3 shows in Texas, I went to all 3 and they didn't switch up the set list until the 3rd night. They kept switching in and out the same few songs, Kids, GOY and Sorrows.

At the beginning of the uk tour they did 21 songs....a couple shows later they had dropped 3 off this. Wasn't happy at all about this.

I remember either hearing in an interview or somebody asking the guys when we met them why this was, and they said that it was because some venues have "curfews" and the show has to be over before a certain time. The Cardiff setlist was certainly a lot shorter than Wembley for example, but they did play a song or two they didn't play at any other date on the UK tour.

In my opinion, they're doing us all a favour by playing shows in the first place. I appreciate their gigs no matter the length.

I remember either hearing in an interview or somebody asking the guys when we met them why this was, and they said that it was because some venues have "curfews" and the show has to be over before a certain time. The Cardiff setlist was certainly a lot shorter than Wembley for example, but they did play a song or two they didn't play at any other date on the UK tour.

In my opinion, they're doing us all a favour by playing shows in the first place. I appreciate their gigs no matter the length.

I think there was a problem where the barrier broke during the support band at one of the gigs, and hence there was a delay. so they had to cut those 3 songs because of it. Then decided to run with that for the rest of the tour..

I know at Dublin at least, they came on 15 minutes later then the more standard 9.00pm start. (Wembly for example had the 9.00pm time) but there was a huge gap between the doors opening/lostalone coming on...so i'm sure it wouldn't be a time problem.

and yes, i also appreciate their gigs but just saying :)

After seeing them in 2008 after the Project Rev tour and seeing how long they could actually play, I could go for a longer set list these days.

I'm not talking like adding another hour (like if they wanted to do that, I wouldn't complain. That'd be so much rock we'd die. But Green Day plays 34 songs and their shows are SO FUCKING LONG BUT SO FUCKING GOOD! Maybe when MCR has as many albums as GD, they'll go for it) but a few more songs wouldn't hurt. Songs like Party Poison, Save Yourself, My Way Home is Through You, Desolation Row, those are fucking solid songs that should be played every night along with the other jams that they have on the setlist.

We should take this idea up with Frank; he makes the setlists. So next time you see him wondering around...

I feel like that would go very badly actually. Don't do that...

Archived