Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dia

Bonnaroo

Seriously, I've been waiting for years for MCR to get on the Bonnaroo bill. Any one think this year might be the year? I know that they were one of the top rumors for Bonnaroo 2011, but that never came to fruition for obvious reasons (they'd be in between the West Coast and European legs of the WCT by then).

They've pretty much been touring nonstop for over a year now. It's pretty crazy when you actually stop and think about it. WCT started in October 2010, didn't end until the very end of August 2011, after doing an extensive round of European shows and festivals from mid June straight through the end of August. All the while, HCT started at the beginning of August and only finished last month. Then they did the VOODOO Music Experience on Halloween. I believe they're also playing Big Day Out in New Zealand and Australia January-February. That's almost 140 shows so far, with more added... I know I've gotten off topic, but is there seriously any other band who works nearly as hard to make sure their fans get to see them live?! I really don't think there is. I know from experience that touring and traveling is extremely exhausting. It's pretty much inconceivable to me how they did all that in the past year+some. Especially with everything they put into a show. Fucking insane.

Anyways, Bonnaroo 2012 is set for June 7-10. I guess by June, assuming they don't do anything after BDO, they would have had some down time, but still... Either way, I'm being hopeful, and thinking this year really might be it!

Any one hear any rumors/speculations/theories?

Well I was thinking they would be resting for a while after HCT and everything cause like you said they've been touring all year. But i believe it was the interview for Voodoo where Gerard said they don't feel like they need to rest and want to work on new stuff already. So I would think another festival is possible. smile.gif

As much as I would love that (Being only 45 mins from Manchester and having friends who go to Bonnaroo almost every year).... -sigh.- They wouldn't do it. The scene at Bonnaroo isn't for them (I say this from the drinking & drug use side of it.) That and I doubt they're gonna be ready to do festivals by June, because they mentioned working on their side projects and working on recording and such.

Its true that Bonnaroo has gotten more top names for their line ups as the years moved forward, but its still an indie music/hippie crowd.. aka not people who would even slightly be interested in seeing MCR and with the price of the tickets... I REALLY doubt MCR would do that to us Fans. Bonnaroo passes are expensive as shit, paying for a day pass is a waste of money in the end. My brother went last year to see Lil Wayne and Eminem and he stayed all weekend and said that he got his moneys worth.

There's also the fact that MCR has only played in Tennessee three times since 2005. When Voodoo was in Memphis after Katrina, Nashville on TBP tour, and Memphis in May in 2008. And I really don't see them doing anything at a festival like Bonnaroo... Its a hippie festival.

I've been considering going, but I've said I'd only go if there were good comedians and/or MCR. So, I would love for this to happen, but I have to be realistic about it.

Yea, I definitely agree with the likelihood that they'll be resting, working on new stuff, and/or recording come summer. I was more or less speculating that it may happen to work out timing-wise since they definitely won't be touring by then.

I'm not so sure about the characterization of Bonnaroo as a "hippy" festival though, at least not these days. Certainly it was initially a total hippy fest, and it remained that way for quite some time. The hippy vibe definitely still lingers, afterall, it is a huge music and arts festival where people camp out for days, but the coordinators have clearly started to move in a more popular/mainstream music direction. I think they also really make an effort to bring in a huge mix of people by including a variety of genres/fan bases. I know in recent years Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Weezer, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, MGMT, Against Me!, Beastie Boys, The Black Keys, Rise Against, Public Enemy, Coheed and Cambria, Kanye, and even GWAR have been on the bill. They seem to try to throw in artists with really different followings/fan bases to appeal to as many people as possible. Ha GWAR is definitely way more out there. Their fan base is also pretty distinct and typically marginalized; their fans were seriously in full GWAR-esque costumes in nearly 100 degree weather.. It's one of the things that makes Bonnaroo so awesome; it brings together an eclectic and diverse mix of people that you otherwise wouldn't find all in one place. With that said, when I've gone, the scene/attendance was dominated by younger hipsters than anything else. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of hippies, but like I said, the festival has really been moving toward popular culture.

Also, more recently the festival has, for the most part, aligned itself with Coachella, which is very mainstream. The line-ups have been very similar, often featuring several of the same headliners, over the past few years. Bonnaroo also just generally seems to aim at booking big names from that particular year. Based on the line-ups I've seen, I imagine them asking/considering things like who came out with a new album that did really well, who have people been talking about, who's been big in the media, etc. Ha then of course they throw in Jack Johnson, Phish, or Dave Matthews Band, but at least for the other genres, it seems to me like they really look to what's popular at the moment. I went in 2009 and MGMT, Crystal Castles, Santigold, and Yeah Yeah Yeah's played, all of which had very recently come out with very radio popular albums. The trend was a lot more readily apparent, but I can't recall exactly who played which year off the top of my head.

And yea, you're definitely right about the drug thing. Drug use at the festival is pretty rampant. With that said, it's really easy (and way more fun) to attend the festival as a non-drug user. I don't do any drugs, and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. People are generally really friendly and open-minded there. Which actually goes back to what I said before about how Bonnaroo brings very different people together. When I've gone, people have been so nice, open-minded, even giving and helpful. It really does turn into a little semi-utopian community (the friendliness of people is really where I felt the hippy vibe/aspect of Bonnaroo). You make friends with the people camping near you, and I've even had people go out of their way, without my asking, to help me out; one guy thought I looked dehydrated and gave me his water, and a girl let me borrow her shoes after mine were destroyed the first night.

Then, there's the price issue. Bonnaroo is definitely very expensive, but that's because we're inclined to compare it to regular shows. Really what you're paying for is the experience: camping out for 3 days and getting to see a lot of big acts all in one place. For me, it's worth it when there a lot of artists I really really like in the line-up. It really isn't worth it otherwise though. Also, you can work as a volunteer and get in free. I've had friends do it, and they barely had to work.

Based on all that, I could definitely see the coordinators wanting to add MCR to the line-up. You're right though, more than likely, it won't happen. But hey maybe if we get some buzz going about it, we might put the idea in some important heads... speculation/visible interest never hurts, and you never know who has their ear to the ground :]

On another note, sorry for any typos, I typed all that on my phone.

-shrug.- I'm just saying that when my brother came home he told me that there were a lot of hippies and hipsters.

I just think its better to not even consider it. I mean, don't get me wrong... I really WOULD love to finally see MCR in Tennessee... seeing as they NEVER come here. Except 2005, 2007, and 2008. My drunk and stoned friends would meander ourselves to see the boys. Cause like I said, that would be my deciding factor (Besides epic comedians.)

And I'm sure that when I say what I am about to say... everyone will realize I don't mean it in a negative bad way... I'm just saying it how I think... All of the bands/acts you named are all a lot more popular than MCR, in all honesty. I still see MCR as a band that isn't as popular as it should be. And those acts are way above MCR. But then again, I also forget that MCR is relatively famous because they don't act it. xD

But either way... I don't see the likelihood of it. If for any reason, Honda Civic. I think that really took the Festival right out of the boys. xD I mean.. they did a regular tour, then a european festival run, then came back to do a huge festival tour in the US that they didn't really enjoy because of things that happened and they're still not done with festivals...

If I were them... I'd say "FUCK NO" and do a summer/fall regular tour 2012. That way they know they're performing to their crowd. I mean, they were basically performing to Blinks crowd during HCT.

Yea another tour would really be ideal, but I was more or less counting that out as even a slight possibility. I just really want another chance to see them play before they're back in the studio for an extended period of time, at which point they probably won't tour until they release a new album.

You should really check out Bonnaroo if you get a chance and there are enough good acts to make it worth the price. It really is a lot of fun! It's definitely different and a little weird, but it's a cool experience.

Oh, I know about Bonnaroo. I may sound like I don't know. But as I said, I have friends that go every year. xD I'm just a music snob, which is why comedians would be my deciding factor, because I would more likely like more comedians than bands there. But my brother said it was hard to get into comedy shows. IDK he told me I wouldn't like it, but that's because I'm not an outdoors person... xD

Oh, I know about Bonnaroo. I may sound like I don't know. But as I said, I have friends that go every year. xD I'm just a music snob, which is why comedians would be my deciding factor, because I would more likely like more comedians than bands there. But my brother said it was hard to get into comedy shows. IDK he told me I wouldn't like it, but that's because I'm not an outdoors person... xD

Yea I figured, I just meant it's better to form an opinion from experiencing it yourself :] But if you don't like the outdoors, you probably wouldn't have a good time. After all, it does involve camping in the middle of the summer, and it can get pretty gross.

And yea, I know what you mean, ha I studied musicology at Vandy so I'm the same way. I haven't gone in a while because the line-ups have been so lackluster. I also never paid even close to full price because I'd just buy my tickets from friends who couldn't go any more. I'd probably never go again unless either the line-up is incredible or I'm shooting it and don't have to pay at all...

I think it would be awesome if MCR were part of the line-up, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

On a somewhat related note, it is possible to get a free ticket to Bonnaroo through street team work. I did last year.

Yea, I have pretty solid info from which I can infer that they will not be playing Bonnaroo this year. I doubt I'll be going this year as I'm not in TN any more. I'll definitely be going to Bamboozle and Warped in NYC though.

I didn't think they would be. That's why I decided to use my tax money for a pass to Dragon*Con rather than for a Bonnaroo ticket. (Keeping fingers crossed for a Killjoys comic panel or something similar! xD)

I heard that everyone that lives in Manchester, TN gets a ticket to Bonnaroo because they live there. xD Is that true?

Bonnaroo Lineup announced. No MCR, as predicted. So, I am closing this topic. If you'd like to talk about Bonnaroo in general please make a thread in the Not MCR sections, because there ARE good bands going to be there, but not many users on this site know about Bonnaroo. xD