Neil Gaiman

crazybri

I've noticed that there is a nice handful of Neil Gaiman fans around here. So instead of clogging up other threads with posts about Neil Gaiman I made his own thread.

Gaiman is without a doubt my favorite author. He's pretty much pure genius.

My uncle (whom I have to thank for getting me into a lot of awesome things) gave me Coraline when I was like 17. I ripped through that baby in 2 hours. He also gave me Anansi Boys, which I may or may not have read before American Gods.

Anywxy, Gaiman=Awesome.

What are your favorite Gaiman things? Novels or graphic novels and comics?

Favorite novel is American Gods. It's amazing.

But I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sandman (as many people know.) I really need to read his other comics. The only other one I've read is Marvel 1602.

Um... he's pretty much a writing god xD Plus he's married to Amanda Palmer, who is one of my favorite people.

I did manage to meet AFP and give her a hug, but Neil wasn't there... I heard from Amanda that he'd be there after the show, but then I also heard his assistant say that he was in meetings with his publisher all day. Oh well. Maybe I'll be rich enough one day to buy that "lunch with Neil Gaiman" thing CBLDF does.

That's awesome that you got to meet her! And she retweeted you! It's a bummer he wasn't there though.

That would be incredible to be able to buy that. Neil Gaiman has to be the smartest coolest person around. It would be awesome to pick his brain, or just talk to him.

Holy shit, she RT'd me?! OMG life=made. I didn't even realize! xD

I'd love just to hear him speak with his British accent... yeah, he just seems really cool and smart, and I'd love to talk about all the religious & mythical references in his work (particularly Sandman and American Gods.) I REALLY want to know who that one god was... that one that no one could remember? Yeah.

You're welcome! I just opened my twitter and her tweet was right there and I was like "heyyy I know who that is!"

Yeah!!!!!!! I know what you're talking about! I would like to know as well.

Hey I have a weird question. While any of you were reading American Gods, did the book disappear? It happened to me twice. I was reading it, set it down and then I couldn't find it anywhere!!! Then I bought a new copy and it did the same thing! Yes I do lose book occasionally but this was strange. It happened to my sister's friend too. It's pretty funny and crazy.

I have two copies of American Gods, and they've never disappeared on me.

Sandman, American Gods, and Neverwhere are my favorites, but I enjoy everything he writes.

I also love listening to the audiobooks that he narrates himself. He has a great reading voice.

Neil Gaiman doesn't know it yet but we will be best friends.

No, because he's going to be MY best friend.

Adore Neil Gaiman (of course!)

Got into his stuff after reading Good Omens (already being a Terry Pratchett fan y'see), and a friend of mine lent me her Sandman graphics :) I have my copy of Good Omens signed by them both (good way to tell it apart from my husband's copy :P)

I met Neil at Forbidden Planet, Liverpool in 1996 - I'd just started uni, got some money from my aunt for books and, as you do, spent it on comic books rather than text books :lol:

Guy in FP asked if I was coming to the signing, I go 'what signing?' guy points to poster saying 'I thought that was why you were buying these, Neil Gaiman is here tomorrow'. I skip my first IT lecture (hell, I didn't even take the exam for that class and I passed it - 40% pass mark ftw :lol:) and go wait in line. It was weird cos my friend who got me into his stuff in the first place was at the same uni as me, but I couldn't contact her in time. I got a flyer signed for her though.

I read the book of Neverwhere in 2 hours on Christmas morning (1996) when I first got it. It had already been on TV that autumn. I got the videos when they came out, and replaced them with the dvds a couple of years ago. The original idea behind that series was that Lenny Henry had asked him to write a series about homelessness in the UK and Neil said he was in danger of making it seem cool, and tried not to do that - sorry Neil, in that case you failed! Neverwhere is awesome and very cool :P

I just love his style, as well as his subject matter. I'm ordering a couple of his books for younger readers for my kids for Christmas - get 'em started young :P My husband took our eldest to the cinema to see Coraline and she lasted til about 30 mins from the end before she wanted to come out - but give her a break, she was 5! She has seen it all the way through now, on dvd :)

I loved the Stardust book, and it took me a while to adjust to the (inevitable) changes they made for the movie. I find that with any book I really like that they then film. But I do really like the film too now.

I can't wait to see what they do with American Gods, and glad it'll be a series rather than a film, as there's so much more you can include in a series :)

I think they really need to do a 'Sandman' movie - so who would you all cast as Dream, Desire, Death, Destruction, Delirium, Destiny and Despair?

• 3 weeks later...

I only hope that they extend these to the East Coast.

I mean, their kickstarter for these shows raised $100000 more than their goal, so if they're not giving that money to charity or something, they could at least use it to benefit more of their fans...

Archived