Queuing Guide

MurderKilljoy

I don't know if there's a topic for this, if it is, you can delete this one. :)

But I want to do this, because I want to help people.

Be prepared to ANY weather you never know if it's going to rain or is it going to be sunny.

If you're going to gueue only few hours, I think you'll survive with just normal clothes that fit with that weather that has been forecasted that day, a raincoat and a old newspaper and a plastic bag (you may want to sit).

But if you're going to gueue over night, you'll need:

A SLEEPING BAG AND A SLEEPING MATTRESS (FOR HIKING): fluff sleeping bag is the best, it keeps you warm better than other ones, and a sleeping mattress for hiking, because you don't want to lay on the cround, it's heavyer than you may think it is. And hiking mattress because you don't want to carry a huge mattress with you even if it bring a bit of luxury.

LOT'S OF BLANKETS: they keep you warm as well. It's best to bring couple of those, one on the cround if you don't have a mattress, one or two to keep you warm and it's always good to have one for a friend or something.

HUGE PLASTIC BAGS AND A RAINCOAT OR A UMBRELLA: Even if it's forecasted to be sunny, it's good to have those with you, because forecasts isn't always right. you know what to do with a raincoat and umbrella, but plastic bags is for your stuff, so they don't get wet and, if you're i sleeping bag, you don't have to take it off, you just put your legs in the bag, so you don't get wet.

LOTS OF WARM CLOTHES: so you don't get cold and get sick.

Example: there was this girl gueuing over night to MCR's Finland's gig. It was EXTREMELY cold, even for Finland's yardstick. She didn't have anything with her, all she had with her was a blanket and she wore only MCR hoodie and black jeans. She sat there next to us and said nothing for the long time and started shaking so hard. Because MCRmy is a family and we care for each other, we decided to give one of our blankets to her and searched an old newspaper for her to sit on. Some people gave her one more hoodie to put on and gave a raincoat when it started to snow. As the night drew closer and wheather turned only colder and colder, we let her sit between us, so she could share the warmness as well (because we were quite warm by then). I don't know how she survived, because I don't remember seeing her inside at the concert. :(

SUN LOTION: if it's summer and it's sunny.

SNACKS AND SOMETHING TO DRINK: because concert venues could be so far away from everything, so you may not have a chanche to go to a shop or a restaurant. And a juice or something is good to have with you because you're gonna be extremely thirsty after a concert, especially if you have been dancing and singing along the whole gig.

MONEY: you always forgot something or need a lift, etc. And there's always merch shops. :D

AND HERE COMES THE REALLY IMPORTANT PART:

HAVE FUN because there's lots of other fans gueuing as well (especially on MCR concerts) and something always going on (sleeping bag jumping competition, sing-alongs, a lot of talking about how awesome MCR is, lot of joking, etc.) it's a great opportunity to make friends and HAVE A REALLY GOOD TIME! :) So be happy and remember that MCRmy is a BIIIG worldwide family! :D And take care of each other! :D <3

Kuva%2B010.jpg

Kuva%2B006.jpg

Kuva%2B011.jpg

One of the most important things when you're queueing overnight is to make sure you have somewhere to put your belongings during the gig. Sure, they have cloakrooms at most venues, but these don't usually open until the doors open, and if you leave the queue to go and put your bag away you'll lose your place at the front (rendering it pointless to have queued all night). If you have a car with you, make sure you go to put your stuff in at least an hour before the doors open. Another option is to see if there is a hotel or train station locally that would store your bag. Otherwise, make friends with somebody who lives locally or has a car (although this is obviously at your own risk).

As a general rule, people will normally be happy to hold your place in the queue for you. Make sure you let the people in front and behind know you're leaving the queue for a little while, and make sure they're happy to save your space. It's a good idea to make good friends with these people - 1) it will make time go faster, 2) you'll be able to look out for each other, and 3) they'll help you get to the barrier if possible, and vice versa.

The most important thing if you're queueing overnight is keeping warm. Most places get cold, even if they're hot in the daytime. A tip I found really useful was to buy some disposable handwarmers and put them in your boots. This is especially good because feet are a main source of heat; if you lose heat from your feet, you'll get cold very quickly. The same applies for your head, neck and hands. If it's really cold, wear a hat, scarf, and gloves. Wear plenty of layers that will keep you warm but you can take off in the daytime.

Don't make the mistake I did and not take a sleeping bag even though it was the middle of winter. Definitely take a sleeping bag (and blankets etc as MurderKilljoy said above)! It might sound silly, but if it looks particularly cold/windy/rainy, taking a small tent is a good idea (make sure you definitely have somewhere to store this though). Another idea if you find it hard to sleep is to take a sleeping mask and ear buds, because venues are usually lit up at night, and other people in the queue can be not-so-quiet. An optional thing to take is an old duvet to sit on. The thing that makes you coldest is not the air, it's the freezing cold ground that you're lying on. Make sure you put blankets underneath you, and a duvet if possible.

As for foil blankets, that's up to you. You can get them pretty cheap from the internet, so it might be worth taking a few just in case (they're good at keeping the wind off you if nothing else). However, remember that they work like a thermos flask - if what's inside is hot, it will keep it hot; if what's inside is cold, it will keep it cold. If you do take them, make sure you wrap yourself up in it whilst you're warm!

I've never experienced camping out in hot weather, so I can't really give any tips on that, apart from the obvious sun screen, sun hat, water etc.

Okay, next tip! Take something to do in the daytime. How much fun you have in the queue really depends on who is in the queue. In some queues I've been in, everyone has made friends and done sing alongs, played games etc, whilst in others, everyone has kept themselves to themselves. So unless you have the balls to start a sing-along yourself, take activities. You can take a blank t-shirt/banner and some pens to decorate it (make sure the venue allows banners), take a make-your-own-bracelet set and make one for people you've made friends with in the queue, and I'm sure you can come up with other creative stuff! Me and my friend decorated our giant umbrella with our killjoy names and wrote in our diaries (we followed the UK tour, so we kept diaries of it).

Try to have back up plans - my friend and I planned to store our bags in somebody we'd met's hotel room, but they let us down so we had nowhere to leave our bags, resulting in a very frantic search twenty minutes before the doors opened for somewhere to leave our bags. This could have been avoided if we'd planned where we were leaving them before, and had a backup plan if it didn't work out (after a few tears and some desperate begging, we managed to persuade a super-horrible hotel receptionist to let us leave our bags there, but we had to pay $mad chedda$).

I can't think of much else right now, but if I do I'll post it :)

The only thing I'd add is, don't forget about food! I think it's important to eat and drink enough and healthy. Drink a lot of water, not only coffee or energy drinks. Eat fruit or whole grain bread, that will give you the power you need, because there's often a lack of sleep when queuing overnight.

I always make sure that I have some sweets with a lot of sugar with me as well, I often eat sweets soon before doors open because it gives you power and helps to keep your circulation stable. Chewing gum also worked out fine for me, it makes me feel less thirsty during shows.

Another thing if you're planning on camping out at more than one show in a row is this - it can be very tempting to stay up at night and talk, but you'll regret it in the daytime. You really need to make sure you get enough sleep, otherwise you'll feel miserable in the day, and risk feeling faint during the gig.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanna camp out. But im not sure if any of my friends, or my parents would camp out with me :S I guess ill just have to make sure i make friends at my first meetup/concert.

I met the person that I camped out with online. We had never met and barely talked before the tour. I was pretty sure she wasn't a creeper though because she ran the MCRmy Wales twitter, and I don't think a creeper would go to that length!

When I moved to Wales, we briefly talked on twitter and joked about following the tour together since neither of us had anyone to go with. Then a few months later when they announced the tour, we contacted each other again and decided to go for it. The only time we really talked after that was to arrange travel/accomodation etc., so I was pretty terrified the first time I met her (I even had an SOS text pre-typed on my phone incase I got into trouble :P)! I thought it was going to be really awkward, but our love of MCR meant it wasn't :D It was actually really awesome to have somebody IRL to ask "did you read that interview the other day where 'insert band member' said 'insert phrase'?!?!" and have an enthusiastic, sensible, non-confused response.

However, I wouldn't recommend doing it that wxy! It's not really very safe, and I wouldn't want anybody getting into any bother. But finding people at a meet up is a really good idea :)

Haven't queued overnight, but I have gotten there pretty early in the morning for the two shows that I've been to. Both times, it was really hot (damn California weather.) Main thing: SUNSCREEN, SUNBLOCK, whatever. I got bad sunburns that lasted for weeks, and it wasn't pretty. It may not seem so bad in the morning, but around noon-ish, it gets insanely hot. I'd advise that you bring an umbrella, too. The two girls in front of us for the first show brought a small one, and throughout the day, at least 10 people tried to cramp inside it. All these things, you can put in your car or have a relative/friend pick them up. Bring water, obviously. Leave it in the freezer during the night, so it'll stay cold through most of the day. And for the love of God, wear light layers-I know, sporting a heavy leather jacket or a Killjoy jacket (with the exception of the Fun Ghoul vest) in 94 degree weather makes you look snazzy, but we don't need to see your fainting spells when you get light-headed.

Other than that, have loads of fun.. and go exploring if you have the chance. B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To be honest, I have gueued a few times over night and my mum or dad never knew about them. And never will. :D I didn't lie, I just didn't tell the whole story. What they doesn't know, doesn't hurt them.

And I have one tip for where to put your stuff during gig. If you are very far away from your home, I reguest you book yourself and maybe for your friend as well, a hostel or a hotel room. It can be really handy. When we were queuing, there was these 2 girls that have booked a hotelroom for themselfs and kept most of their belonings in there. They had free hotel breakfast so they ate there in the morning (they queued 3 days so that was very good). The otherone always kept watch of their stuff in the venue, and other went there. And they switched when other one came back. One time the other one of them came from the hotel and brought these huge umbrellas with her. There was snowing very hard, so the receptionist give 2 extremely huge umbrellas they didn't use anymore. She was very nice and just said that she felt bad watching the weather and thinking about us in the outside, waiting for our big idols in there. The umbrellas were our rescue, they let us sleep without getting wet by snow. Everyone hanged beneath them :D

• 2 weeks later...

My mum wouldn't let me queue overnight, when I'm older I'll probably go with a load of friends and take cheap stuff from the 99p shop so if I lose anything, it won't matter.

how old are you?

if you're still quite young I think your mum's probably right. camping out's a bit much if you've got school/college or whatever since you'll be tired as hell. plus I wonder about how safe it is to be out in town in the middle of the night...

like you say, in a few years, when you're a bit older (and probably more street-smart) get you and a little group of friends together, it'll probably be more fun if it's you and some good buddies :)

• 2 months later...

Dudes, I'm in my mid 20s and I still feel very uncomfortable sleeping outside overnight. I've done it once- and it was to get a Wii for a X-Mas gift the year it came out. I was so afraid of being mugged (I'm a heavy sleeper) that I stayed awake the entire night and had my friends deliver coffee and McDonalds in shifts.

• 2 weeks later...

I can give some additional advice on queuing in hot weather during the daytime.

For the love of all things good, make sure you bring water with you, even if they don't allow water bottles into the venue. I'd go so far as to say bring several water bottles with you if you know you're going to be queuing for a good portion of the day.

Bring at least $20 solely to buy water with once you do enter the venue.

I suffered from heat exhaustion at Projekt Revolution in 2007 because I didn't bring water to drink while I was in line and I definitely ended up regretting it.

Don't drink soda. Soda will dehydrate you quickly.

Make sure your sunscreen is water proof.

I recommend bringing an umbrella. One of those cheap ones that you can get for a buck or two at the dollar store. If there's no shade for you to sit under while you're waiting in line, that thing will make your wait a million times better.

• 3 months later...

Archived