jetblack

Official California 2019 Meetup

Spork!

stoked.gif

(I feel like that gif is really accurate because we're all tangled up in ideas at the moment)

Okay. So! Basic details. Is that meaning the basic details of the mailer to the potential sponsors or the basic details of the actually meetup?

Yes yes, good. We're on the same page then. What I think we need is a more official, 'permanent' method of cataloging our plans for the meetup. Right now we just have the minutes, which is a summation of each progression and a quote from the poster but it doesn't correlate back to previous mentions of the same topic. Right now, when we have an idea we discuss it and hash out some theories but with no current way of posting or keeping each advancement separate and public it's all just stacking on top of each other and getting forgotten again (none if our faults). We need a solution to this first.

If we're looking at creating a website for the event (or have we actually got one? I forget), maybe post all updates as a blog on there? So like, we discuss things here, then once a final decision is made on a particular topic, it's posted up with a list of other decisions made. So everything's clear and public, if you get me?

We do have a website, and I think that's a good idea. But it doesn't quite solve the problem of referencing back... unless we can utilize tags? Francesca, do you know if that's an option?

Sulfur, I think that we should express before auditions that bands are responsible for their own transport. It's something we probably can't afford/shouldn't be liable for, plus if we were another venue or gig they would get their own transportation.

Ok, but that still doesn't account for paying the bands.  No one has brought up directly about paying the bands and I highly doubt it that they will come just because we ask.  Will we have a budget for paying bands?

Can anyone think of people they might now or people we should send out something like an event summary to?

What about reaching out to some magazines which have prominently featured MCR?  I think starting with Alt Press would make sense because of Cassie, but I think it would be beneficial to make contact with NME or Kerrang at a later point as well.  They might also be able to help publicize through their magazines if they did an article about the meetup or if we bought advertising.  Thoughts?

SO, ummh, I'm back. 

I was a total idiot and assumed that forum had been taken down when the band broke up. I never saved a link and stopped getting emails until just a few days ago. 

So yeah, I'm back and feeling really stupid. 

So glad to have you back Spork!!  Are you back to stay for good?  We have been lost without you!!! 

The actual meet-up. I think it would be unwise to start telling people about it when we don't have a date or location.

Agreed

Ok, but that still doesn't account for paying the bands.  No one has brought up directly about paying the bands and I highly doubt it that they will come just because we ask.  Will we have a budget for paying bands?

I do think we should pay the bands we book and set aside a portion of the budget for that.

What about reaching out to some magazines which have prominently featured MCR?  I think starting with Alt Press would make sense because of Cassie, but I think it would be beneficial to make contact with NME or Kerrang at a later point as well.  They might also be able to help publicize through their magazines if they did an article about the meetup or if we bought advertising.  Thoughts?

I definitely agree with this

• Upvote 1

This would be perfect. 

But again, before we can start sending out stuff to people we need a complete plan of action with every detail mentioned so that they know this is really happening and it's not just something we're randomly talking about. 

Should we start with a website then? That catalogs all plans as they're made. 

A kickstarter is a fabulous idea, in fact I think it's the best idea for a fundraiser that there is because it's safer, the backers receive incentives for backing, the money raised is presented very visually, and a lot of people are familiar with the website. I think that selling tickets can be part of the kickstarting package.

Okay guys, we need to decide once and for all - is this just a nice and fun idea that's never going to materialise, or do we really mean it and is it going to go ahead?

If it is, I think a new thread should be started and possibly a kick starter set up. We need to discuss asap.

Having just come back from a meetup, I am totally pro this being an actual thing. But we're going to need people in the US to take a lot of responsibility because planners from the UK hi can only do so much from a computer.

If we are, we definitely need a new thread!

i'm really hoping it will happen. not sure what i can do to help make it a reality but kickstarter sounds like an excellent idea. i think the major problem is that it's 5 years to go and maintaining that enthusiasm over that period of time is quite an undertaking. even though it will probably take quite some time to get it set up properly. and yes, it will require usa based peeps to do a lot of the organising, just for practicalities sake.

i think one of the problems with using threads on here to organise it is the format it takes. i think that's been mentioned earlier in this thread. cos there's people all over the place geographically, it's hard to keep everything compartmentalised and organised. in a sense, you would need threads on here for each aspect of the event and the difficulty is allowing discussion/brainstorming but avoiding clogging up the thread with superfluous posts.

so i'm not sure how this will work in reality ... and it probably needs 5 years to get it done! but i really hope it isn't just a pipe dream.

Okay guys, we need to decide once and for all - is this just a nice and fun idea that's never going to materialise, or do we really mean it and is it going to go ahead?

If it is, I think a new thread should be started and possibly a kick starter set up. We need to discuss asap.

I am very up for it.

I would like to share that I have heard many people from many places casually bring up the meetup, some people that I don't even think are members here on the board. So people are still talking and thinking about this and I think we owe it to ourselves and everyone else to make this happen.

I think we need to move past the ideas phase and move on to the solidifying and contacting people/organizations phase, AKA the Let's Get Shit Done phase. We should set a deadline for how much longer we can talk about things that might be cool and that we could maybe get done, then move on to making it happen.

This should happen! And I know we're always saying like "we can't put a date now, cause it's so not for 5 years", but I think we should put a date, or at least chech when we can book wherever we decide to be, so we know at what time we'll have to book the date. Cause the date is pretty crucial for almost everything practical. Selling tickets, booking bands, booking a place, etc... And yes, it is difficult to know how many we will be, and therefore difficult to book a place, but we won't know how many we'll be until we start selling tickets! :)