Does Anyone Else....

neonscreamout

So, I was just thinking about this today while listening to Eminem's Relapse.

I love Eminem with all my heart, but that whole album just gives me a really uncomfordable feeling while i'm listening to it. I just feel on edge, and sort of creeped out. The same happens to me when I listen to the Used. I like the music, but I can not listen to it without getting like, a pit in my stomach. Also, This is why I can't listen to S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/. I just get really uneasy.

Anyone else like this? Or have any other odd sensations when listening to certain artists or songs?

When I first listened to S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W i had the same reaction. I thought it was really strange and i think the thought actually crossed my mind "were they high when making this song?" but now it's grown on me and it's actually one of my favorites at the moment. Even though it does sound different, the lyrics are really amazing and I think thats why I love it so much now. :D

i thought i was the only person like that. every song that i listen to affects me in a different way. i get that weird pit in stomach/jumpy skin crawly feeling when i listen to "paralyzed" by the used. personally though, i like that feeling. not as much as i like that super happy almost high feeling i get when i listen to mcr though.

Also, This is why I can't listen to S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/. I just get really uneasy.

You're not alone with this one.

There's a thread about that here that talks about S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W.

Me personally, I can't say that that's ever happened to me before, with S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W or any other song.

I do get songs that just make me uber happy the first time I listen to them, or give me goosebumps. For me, the introduction to a song is what gets me hooked.

For example, I think the whole of the This Is War album is amazing. The wxy they incorporate the different drums, the stamping of feet and the singing of the fans just makes it different from any album I've heard.

Also, this nearly reduced me to tears. It's beautiful.

To me, I have songs that give me a pit in my stomach, not that they creep me out, but they just touch me so deeply that I feel weird. The best way I can describe it is a nostalgia or longing for something that I never had and I don't even know what it is. But those are my favorite songs. To me, that's what good music is supposed to do to you... those are the songs I listen to over and over again.

I'm guessing some people don't like that? As when they call those sorts of songs "too depressing." Well even though it gives me that sinking feeling, in the end it energizes me and makes me ready to go after whatever it is that it's making me want, so that's why I like it.

The whole album of Danger Days makes me feel like that, especially the songs toward the end :)

Some other songs that have a REALLY strong effect are Crocodile Rock by Elton John (come on the lyrics/music are SO sad)... and Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam. I love the way the guitar parts make me feel, so bittersweet, especially at the end. Yeah I just listened to it and it made me want to throw up, in a good way.

wow, sorry, I didn't realize I had that much to say about the pit in your stomach while listening to music... and not sure if it made sense to anyone but me...

To me, I have songs that give me a pit in my stomach, not that they creep me out, but they just touch me so deeply that I feel weird. The best way I can describe it is a nostalgia or longing for something that I never had and I don't even know what it is. But those are my favorite songs. To me, that's what good music is supposed to do to you... those are the songs I listen to over and over again.

I agree with the nostalgia thing. Whenever I re-discover an old song that I loved when I was younger, I feel half happy, and half sort of...distant? I guess thats how I would put it.

When i listen to So Far Away- Avenged Sevenfold- it makes me miss the rev SO much. and it makes me cry. and if i listen to Little Piece Of Heaven afterwards, i get a sick feeling because i realise how amazing the rev was. Is that unnatural?

RIP the rev :ph34r:

And the whole of bullets makes me feel really deep thinking, and kinda makes me retreat into myself a lot. then all the chavs tease me... :(

Well, my thing is not real nostalgia. Like, I'm not missing something I used to have or something I personally associate the song with. It's like, whatever the artist was feeling when they wrote it, I kind of feel for them, and it's like I wish I could be a part of it or something? It's so hard to explain! But like I said it leaves me with a void and I feel motivated to fill that void, so it's a bittersweet feeling but I like it.

Guest thedeathrose500

When i listen to So Far Away- Avenged Sevenfold- it makes me miss the rev SO much. and it makes me cry. and if i listen to Little Piece Of Heaven afterwards, i get a sick feeling because i realise how amazing the rev was. Is that unnatural?

RIP the rev :ph34r:

And the whole of bullets makes me feel really deep thinking, and kinda makes me retreat into myself a lot. then all the chavs tease me... :(

I get the same way when I listen to So Far Away. The other night at like three in the morning I turn my TV on and the music video was on and I just burst out crying. I just miss the rev so much. He died the day after my birthday and it just tore me apart. That song for any a7x fan is very uneasy to listen to.

So, I was just thinking about this today while listening to Eminem's Relapse.

I love Eminem with all my heart, but that whole album just gives me a really uncomfordable feeling while i'm listening to it. I just feel on edge, and sort of creeped out. The same happens to me when I listen to the Used. I like the music, but I can not listen to it without getting like, a pit in my stomach. Also, This is why I can't listen to S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/. I just get really uneasy.

Anyone else like this? Or have any other odd sensations when listening to certain artists or songs?

I do get feelings of tension during certain songs, and I wish I didn't, because I think listening to a song neutrally is purer.

The way Ian Mac sings 'Mustard' in Echo & The Bunnymen's The Cutter, for example, reminds me of something that I figure is connected to something bad/scary, probably from my memories, but I can't remember what it is. Which has nothing to do with the song at all. :(

Also, William's Last Words by the Manic Street Preachers (which I'm listening to now), is a lovely piece of music, but it's a really touching song and it starts with fucking laser gun noises. :huh: It creates such a dissonance, that I keep expecting something else to come... And I keep 'humming' the laser gun part during my days. :mellow:

I know it's probably not really what it sounds like to me, but I keep calling it that.

I do get feelings of tension during certain songs, and I wish I didn't, because I think listening to a song neutrally is purer.

Really? I think neutrality is for the washed out critics, and people with souls are supposed to feel emotion when they listen to music or view art. So I think we're normal! Although I guess if you feel that your emotion is from your own baggage and not related to the song, that could ruin it for you.

I get nostalgic when listening to some songs too.

I hate when a good song reminds of something bad, though, just because you associate it with something, not because of the lyrics or the actual song. I've got a few of those. ):

Really? I think neutrality is for the washed out critics, and people with souls are supposed to feel emotion when they listen to music or view art. So I think we're normal! Although I guess if you feel that your emotion is from your own baggage and not related to the song, that could ruin it for you.

I think one of my problems is that I sing the next line in my head before it's sung, and it sort of interrupts my concentration. :huh: I like being able to *feel* what the song is about, yes, but my mind is so full of clutter that it hardly works that way for me usually. The first few listens of a song are always the best for me.

Fact: I listened to The Kids From Yesterday TWICE. Once on the first play. And the other was watching MCR play it on Youtube and tearing up. I think that if I listen to it again I would just think about the last time and analyse my emotions to myself, rather than actually listen.

I need a special listening to music mood in order to even 'get' the experience (unless I'm just exposed to something, like going to an EATB after not really looking into them much. I was amazed, but the background in my head didn't go away all the time.)

I had experience with being a fan of stuff where you feel dedicated to sing along to every word and take the lyrics seriously, but it's not the same as letting the music move through you and feeling those emotions you're meant to feel during the songs, and not your private associations as you said.

Yeah, you're right. The songs I've loved for a long time, I still love them, but they don't make me feel the way they once did. It's because when I hear the song, my mind unconsciously thinks of all the other times I've heard it. But that can feel good in a different way, to listen to a song and remember what it's like to be loved, to belong, to be lonely, etc. and see how far you've come. Or, like, if you listened to the song with someone you don't see anymore, it reminds you of them almost like if you had put their scent in a jar! Or am I just weird?

^ Aww, it's cute, I understand! :D I 'get' it in a way. And I also just like grooving out to something I already know, it gives you a cult-like/secret club like feeling about the band you like because it puts you in a place non-fans won't connect to. I always got told I'm obsessed though, it kind of rubs off on ya, so I guess sometimes I feel bad because I feel like I'm doing something bad by having fun. :huh:

Yeah, you're right. The songs I've loved for a long time, I still love them, but they don't make me feel the way they once did. It's because when I hear the song, my mind unconsciously thinks of all the other times I've heard it. But that can feel good in a different way, to listen to a song and remember what it's like to be loved, to belong, to be lonely, etc. and see how far you've come. Or, like, if you listened to the song with someone you don't see anymore, it reminds you of them almost like if you had put their scent in a jar! Or am I just weird?

THIS.

Yeah. I'm like this with alot of Green Day and hip-hop that played on the radio in like 2006-7. Some 50 Cent stuff and older Beyonce really gets me. It sounds wierd 'cause I don't listen to that kind of stuff, but they just remind me of times that seemed sort of like a blur. That's just me.

^ No I totally get what you mean! There's this one soft rock song (I can't remember the name) that was popular when I was about 8... and EVERY TIME I hear it, it brings me back to walking the boardwalk on vacation when I was a kid, even though the song has nothing to do with that and it's not like I went out of my way to listen to it.

I always got told I'm obsessed though, it kind of rubs off on ya, so I guess sometimes I feel bad because I feel like I'm doing something bad by having fun. :huh:

Don't let the haters get to you!! It's all about having fun! Everyone wants to belong to a group. Some people get it by doing something bad or mean, but we get that feeling by connecting through art. Trust me, it's a good thing, it's awesome.

• 10 months later...

Everytime I listen to Bullets, the songs that are full of anger and you hear Frank screaming in the background, it gets me in the feeling that I'm furiously angry! Kind've like Bert Mccracken in the video for "Blood On My Hands" Like yesterday, I was listening to Bury Me In Black and I was all like "OHMYGOD, WHATS HAPPENING?!" It was funny at the same time too..... :lol:

For me, Im a DIE-HARD AX7 fan! Everytime I see/hear the song So Far Away, I dont cry, but it gets me in the depressed mood to where I cant crawl back from this very deep hole. It sorta knocks me down and I can't pick myself up... -_- But I do miss Jimmy VERY much!

Everytime I listen/watch the video for Blink 182's "Always" and "Down" I get in that jumpy feeling to where I'm jumping up and down in my living room, singing along and mini fangirling because i think the videos ARE SOO COOL! I dont know why though...The lyrics "The look in your eyes makes me crazy!" DANG, I just love the way Tom Delonge says it.....UGHHHH I'm probably such a creeper.... -_-

Oh yea, and everytime I listen to Eminem, I get very scared because his lyrics are sooo deep and gruesome!

The last few songs on Manchester Orchestra's Simple Math are really difficult for me to listen to. Of course, it's about how the singer and his wife almost divorced so it is supposed to be sad/hard to listen to.

What I'm really angry about is that my old alarm clock was a horrible beeping noise, so now I can barley listen to The End from The Black Parade without wanting to throw up. It's like that with other music that has heart rate monitor noises too.

Archived