Why Killjoys?

*FallingStar*

Hi killjoys =)

Okay, I'm a pretty new fan of MCR.

I have a few questions =)

I'm sorry if these questions were asked before, but I'm Swiss, so I can't speak English very well and maybe I have overlooked the answers somewhere...

But thank you already =)

Why does MCR fans call themselves 'killjoy'? Whose idea was that? From MCR or from the fans?

Why does every killjoy have a 'killjoy name'? And the symbol?

What should that name say about you? How get you yours?

Do the MCR band members have killjoy names & symbols too? (the spider from the album cover is one, right?)

I'm ashamed to ask that as a fan.. =)

Greetings =)

Welcome to the MCRmy! =)

Killjoy came from MCR, its from danger days,

As in they're the rebels who fight a corporation, so maybe "killjoy" is that they kill the joy of the business?

Its never been explained.

The killjoy names just came about, like in the nanana video its party poison, jet star, so people just decided to make their own. I'm not sure..

The symbols might be from the killjoy jackets, or a MCR fan might just of come up with a good idea.

Mine is Ms NoName, its dorky and unimaginative so i guess it describes me? XD

I just thought if you were wanted by the government you wouldn't want to give out your name and i like alliteration.

Do you have one yet? =)

I hope you have a really good time in the MCRmy, its fun as heck.

Nah, don't be ashamed. If you're a new fan, there's gonna be stuff you don't know. I've been an MCR fan for about 3 years and there's STILL stuff that I'm confused about ^^;

The term "killjoy" comes from MCR's fourth album, "Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys". It was MCR's idea first, I do believe, but the fans embraced it. I heard from a few places that the guys actually encouraged us to go crazy over the Killjoy thing and make our own names and masks and those sorts of things. Not ALL Killjoys have names and symbols actually; you CAN be a Killjoy without them, but most people develop them anywxy, just because they can, I guess. And the guys DO have Killjoy names and symbols. The spider isn't a specific member's symbol, it's more of a symbol of the whole Killjoy craze/movement/whatever we're even calling it. When you come up with a Killjoy name, it can say something about you or it could not. A lot of people opt for it to have tie-ins to their personality, but mine doesn't, really. -shrug- It's really your choice what the name says or doesn't say about you.

Aaaaand this was just a more eloquent version of that other response. Great. -rolls eyes- Welcome to the Rmy, though!

Most of the fans started making their own Killjoy alter egos because of something that Gerard and the tasteit tv interviewer were talking about

"interviewer: Were you thinking about maybe making a video game of somesorts so all the killjoys could interact with eachother

Gerard: No, we were actually thinking about doing something in real life with the kids, maybe like a subculture of some kind or something"

A Killjoy subculture sounds so awesome :D

also i think they started using the killjoys in the album cause He was working on comic book about the killjoys while working on the album, so the idea kinda just worked its way into the album :)

Most of the fans started making their own Killjoy alter egos because of something that Gerard and the tasteit tv interviewer were talking about

"interviewer: Were you thinking about maybe making a video game of somesorts so all the killjoys could interact with eachother

Gerard: No, we were actually thinking about doing something in real life with the kids, maybe like a subculture of some kind or something"

A Killjoy subculture sounds so awesome :D

also i think they started using the killjoys in the album cause He was working on comic book about the killjoys while working on the album, so the idea kinda just worked its way into the album :)

A subculture would be amazing XD

Like steampunk or something...

Yes :D it would be so badass, rebeling against corporations that are trying to take the danger and dirt out of our lives :) It would be a dream come true <3

XD

Kids are kind of recognising it...In town a bit more then a month ago these boys came over to us, and they were like "aaaye, are you's the killjoy's liierke???"

They were taking the piss and we got them back but its good they recognised us XD

SUBCULTURE. THERE'S the word I was looking for.

And with the symbols, I know that Party Poison and Kobra Kid have theirs on their jackets. Not sure about Fun Ghoul, and Jet Star's definitely isn't.

Naah, i'm pretty sure Fun Ghoul doesn't have it =)

I think Killjoy is a fucking awesome concept! It would be cool if we could have like small groups of Killjoys around school just talking and having fun and listening to MCR and shiz. It would be beyond badass! B) I am Skeletal Scarecrow.

BTW guys: what sounds better: Skeletal Scarecrow or Skeleton Scarecrow.

i know that the spider came about because gerard drew it and somebody saw it and was all like, "fuck, that's cool. you should totally use that as a symbol". so that's where the spider came about.

for the killjoy names, they weren't originally in place. in the very beginning, the guys named their ray guns part poison, fun ghoul, jet star, and kobra kid, but then people started calling them that and they decided it was kinda cool and they went along with it. i'm not sure how they created the killjoy symbols, but they were using them on an absolute radio interview a while back so i figure they're theirs and they like them.

for your own killjoy name, i suppose you're really allowed to choose whatever you want. it's a chance to be creative and to give yourself an alter ego for the person you always wanted to be. mine is double bang which is actually a nickname but that only my best friend calls me by. just pick one of your favorite words or something that describes part of your personality and just go with it. if you're still having trouble, you can google a killjoy name generator and you can get some ideas from there.

welcome to the rmy!

I think Killjoy is a fucking awesome concept! It would be cool if we could have like small groups of Killjoys around school just talking and having fun and listening to MCR and shiz. It would be beyond badass! B) I am Skeletal Scarecrow.

BTW guys: what sounds better: Skeletal Scarecrow or Skeleton Scarecrow.

Skeletal Scarecrow sounds better to me.

Hah, I wanted to ask the same questions but I left it alone.

I'm not really an in your face kinda person, so I hadn't really thought about making a killjoy persona. I do kind of want one, though, but I have no clue what it would be. I'm afraid I'll choose a name that doesn't fit in with the concept 'cause I'm not sure I even understand it completely.

Welcome to the Rmy! ^_^

There's never a question too stupid here, remember we were all new fans once. :)

Basically everything has been explained, but I'll add a bit more information.

Regarding names these are explained in both

interview, and
one.

They started out as gun names and are themed after 'designer drugs'.

I think they progressed from being a gun name to their alter egos when Gerard thought that these names actually fit each band member really well.

I think the fans calling themselves 'Killjoys' originated from the album name (The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys) and the fact that at the start of Na Na Na, Dr. D is heard to say "Killjoys, make some noise!"

The band are the ones that really started the whole 'Killjoy' thing, as they started calling the fans Killjoys in videos, and I think the name just stuck.

One such video is this:

As for creating your own name, the key is to just be creative!

My Killjoy name is Chemical Paranoia. This was going on the 'designer drugs' idea, as I think it sounded like an awesome effect, a drug that enhances paranoia by the use of certain chemicals. Kind of like Scarecrow in Batman.

It also goes with my prospective outfit, as I have white contact lenses that are used to induce a small amount of fear when enemies see me. (You can kind of see them in my picture if you look closely.)

i know that the spider came about because gerard drew it and somebody saw it and was all like, "fuck, that's cool. you should totally use that as a symbol". so that's where the spider came about.

I alwxys thought that it was a friend of Gerards who was working on the Killjoy comic with him that came up with the idea?

Reading these tweets make me think so.

She also did this poster, which looks amazing.

I wish they produced Rock Sound here so I could've got a copy.

Skeletal Scarecrow sounds better to me.

^ Me too.

i remember, around the same time the album came out, they had a contest asking the fans to send in pictures of their killjoy costumes, names, and stories.

i think it was for halloween, actually.

so i know a lot of people made their killjoy personas then.

because of that, i'm assuming the band encourages the whole killjoy thing.

just adding that to what everyone else said :)

^Buy the Danger Days album and you'll understand completely :3

I have it, but is it something in the music or the cover or something? I haven't looked at the cover... I mean I understand the concept of the album but I feel like people knew how to make names out of stuff the band has said on Twitter or interviews and stuff like that, which I haven't seen. If I spent a while reading other people's killjoy names, I'm sure I'd get the hang of it lol.

Killjoy is also American slang (although a bit outdated) for a person who is a downer. For example, everyone makes a funny joke about your hair falling out from over-dyeing it and someone responds "My best friend's hair fell out when she had cancer before she died." Everyone stops laughing and feels like sh*t. The Killjoy is the person who said the thingy about the friend dying.

I could never get the two (MCR meaning and slang meaning) to mesh in my mind unless MCR is just using it sarcastically.

The wxy that MCR use the term killjoy, is that in the videos for Danger Days, in post-apocalyptic California, a company called BL/ind takes over using medication to make people "happy." Those that rebeled and refused to take the meds were called killjoys, because the company believed they were killing their own joy by not taking the meds.

Hah, I wanted to ask the same questions but I left it alone.

I'm not really an in your face kinda person, so I hadn't really thought about making a killjoy persona. I do kind of want one, though, but I have no clue what it would be. I'm afraid I'll choose a name that doesn't fit in with the concept 'cause I'm not sure I even understand it completely.

I'll help you if you really want one? =p

Separate the already existing ones

so

Party and then poison Jet and then star, ect ect?

Then pick something you like, something you'd miss of the apocalypse blew it up?

and then something else, like a colour or a building or a name

Its YOUR killjoy, YOUR killjoy name, so you can call it was you like!

No ones gonna rip your head off about it.

for your own killjoy name, i suppose you're really allowed to choose whatever you want. it's a chance to be creative

I could not agree more! Killjoy names are really just another wxy of expressing yourself. Mine is the same as my name on the site. Since I couldn't think of the right one, I was without a killjoy name for a while, but the name suddenly came to me while watching the architects open for MCR in April. Sulfur Siren just had a nice ring to it and I named my gun acid avenger to complete the sulfuric acid inspiration for my name :) It can be whatever you want though. Once you come up with a killjoy name, you should definitely consider making a killjoy costume and devising your own back story. This can be one of the most interesting parts of having a killjoy name.

Welcome to the Rmy! ^_^

There's never a question too stupid here, remember we were all new fans once. :)

I could not agree more! There is no bad question in this rmy and we always love to welcome new soldiers to the fold :) Let us know if you have any more questions about killjoys or anything else you still don't know about the album

Can it be descriptive too? I would like to call myself Saint Study, because I study a lot and I would be a person who rescues people. And my weapon is that I crush people with heavy books!

Is that one too silly?

There is no such thing as silly when picking a killjoy name, whatever you like the most is the best choice ;)

Archived