Silent Hill

monroe

Silent Hill is the best mind fuck that has happened to video games in a long time. The game has more depth than the Atlantic Ocean. It's always sad, and if you are not a robot, always feel a myriad of emotions. It started with a father looking for his kid, but the game's main character aren't the people you interact with or control but the town itself, Silent Hill. In a sense it's a alive. The soundtracks are fantastic and masterfully composed. This game is one of the greatest things to come of the 20th century. Thank you Japan.

I'm playing through Shattered Memories right now, but it makes me nervous, running around in the darkness, and there's no sort of weapon. You just run when anything comes. Fast. The music is haunting and sometimes it just cuts out, leaving only the sound of breaths and nature. I find the intensity to be so heightened because of your total lack of defense. I find the psychological evaluations to be interesting, too. What answers you give and what you choose to interact with alter the surroundings and the ending.

I think they debuted 2 new SH games at E3 this year. Very excited.

To tide me over, I've been into Heavy Rain and Alan Wake. I find that Alan Wake shares some of the intensity of SH, and the story is complex and nightmarish, too.

That's one of the things I love about Silent Hill. In a lot of video games your character has a background of being trained in some way. In resident Evil, you're a cop, ex military or just raised with guns. In Silent Hill you have no special skills, you miss targets you've aimed at because your character is just an average person. I love it.

It's also much more of a psychological horror than an action-horror type game. I think games like Eternal Darkness touched on that element, but Silent Hill nails it. I know that SH4 put a lot of people off, but one of my most frightening moments in gaming was when you are back in the room, and you get one haunting where you hear this obscure, deep voice saying "I'm always watching you" and repeating it while Walter's face protrudes from the wall. Terrifying. The first time I saw that, it disturbed me.

Another one like that is Siren:Blood Curse. It's very disturbing.

Silent Hill is one of my all time favourite game series.

If you like those kind of games, I would definatly recommend the Fatal Frame series.

They are, in my opinion, tied (if not better) than Silent Hill.

It's another Japanese game.

But, it pretty much revolves around a very intense and well written story line, which leaves the gameplay a little "meh". But I still recomend it to anyone that likes horror/survival games.

It's also much more of a psychological horror than an action-horror type game. I think games like Eternal Darkness touched on that element, but Silent Hill nails it. I know that SH4 put a lot of people off, but one of my most frightening moments in gaming was when you are back in the room, and you get one haunting where you hear this obscure, deep voice saying "I'm always watching you" and repeating it while Walter's face protrudes from the wall. Terrifying. The first time I saw that, it disturbed me.

Another one like that is Siren:Blood Curse. It's very disturbing.

I think Sh4 did a fanfastic job on the feeling of being trapped in your home. Your home is supposed to be your safe place. Being isolated from others and trapped, you really felt the tension and frustration. I think one of the creepiest moments is when that dude is laughing as he burns to death.

I've been a bad nerd. I gave up on the forum that gives me all the sh info, because the people there are annoying. so I have no idea what the film is even going to follow.... the first hour of the first film was actually pretty decent. The problem is, people need to understand that these games are a different type of horror...not shock and gore...though they do have their own versions of this....

I love it. Heather is great. I'm looking forward to the movie.

ashketchum, you are from Toronto, you should visit the set for Lakeside Amusement Park. Photos and video I've seen online look so cool.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out! That looks stunning. The detail they're putting in to this movie is amazing. I don't necessarily think that it needs the 3D gimmick, but I hope that they bring the right type of horror to it. Video game adaptations are so hard to do (although for some reason, 2013-14 have a ton of video game films pending), and SH is not only visually impacting, but the director has to bring a lurking horror to really match the game.

They filmed for the Brookhaven in the Annex, very near to where my sister used to live.

• 2 months later...

Hey, now... At least the voice overs in the first Silent Hill were pretty good. The voice overs for the first Resident Evil game were horrid, but that's why I like it. "You were almost a Jill sandwich!" "Haha, You're right!" ... "You could say we got to the root of the problem."

I just finished playing through Silent Hill 3 for the first time recently. I got into the games when I decided to try playing Silent Hill again for my YouTube channel... I couldn't ever get past the school when I was younger. xD

Harry Mason is my favourite person ever. xD And I am actually pretty excited about the new Silent Hill movie since the movie was THE best video game to movie adaptation EVER. I'm jealous of that, because Hollywood destroyed my favourite franchise with Milla Jovovich and her not existent character.

I also was pretty stoked that they went with the Silent Hill 3 story instead of trying to do the Silent Hill 2 thing... but I would love to see THAT movie... "Silent Hill: The Adventures of James Sunderland." xD

Archived