Big Arenas Vs. Small Venues

SulfurSiren

I've heard people talking about seeing MCR in different size venues in threads and thought I'd bring it all to one place. With the big arena dates for the Honda Civic Tour approaching, do any MCRmy members have any advice about the differences between the venue sizes? Things to consider for arenas? Is it better to be in the pit or pavilion? Trying to meet MCR post or pre-show? Preferences between the two size venues? Preferences about the kinds of tickets (pit, pavilion, lawn)? What have been your large venue experiences? etc etc, or anything else on you think could be helpful :D

I've never seen MCR in a large arena and have never gotten pavilion or pit seats at an arena, so I really don't know what to expect. If any rmy members had any advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys!!! :)

Well, it really depends on personal preference. Big venues and small venues bring completely different shows, they're different experiences. Like, I'm not sure what they have planned for this tour but when I saw them in an arena for the Black Parade Tour, it was crazy theatrical and they had pyro and stuff, which you usually don't get in small venues.

I like small venues so much more, the show is more intimate and personal. I went to the Honda Civic Tour last year and got pit tickets for the same reason. You're closer and everything just seems more like you're one big family, but at the same time I don't mind being squished between a ton of sweaty people.

For some people they might not enjoy that, and in that case they should probably get seat tickets. I've been to three arena shows in the seated sections, and that's really fun too. You'll still have a great time and be able to sing and jump around as much as you want, but you won't have to worry about crowdsurfers, moshpits, etc. You'll also be able to bring more stuff with you because you'll have a place to put it, and it won't be as hot.

I've never had lawn tickets. I assume they aren't as good, but big arenas have screens so you'll be able to see the band no matter what.

i've been to a lot of shows at this one big venue, but i've never seen mcr at one. i can give an opinion on seeing shows there, though...

being in the pit is amazing, but if it's an outdoor venue (like mine) then it can get really hot. plus the tickets are a lot more expensive.

the seated area is the least hot area, usually. you can see the band well, but i don't really like them because i don't like dancing in front of a seat. plus, there's always the weird people who sit down the whole time, and it isn't as fun to dance in front of someone who's probably annoyed that you're blocking their view (that happens to me everytime i get seated, i swear.)

i usually get lawn because it's the cheapest. the view of the stage sucks, but they do have huge screens, so you can still see the band's crazy antics. plus, people do mosh pits in the dirt, which is always fun. and you can dance a lot and hang out with a big group of people easily.

i definitely prefer smaller venues, since you can connect with the band a lot better, and the fans. they're so much more fun.

Well, it really depends on personal preference. Big venues and small venues bring completely different shows, they're different experiences. Like, I'm not sure what they have planned for this tour but when I saw them in an arena for the Black Parade Tour, it was crazy theatrical and they had pyro and stuff, which you usually don't get in small venues.

I like small venues so much more, the show is more intimate and personal. I went to the Honda Civic Tour last year and got pit tickets for the same reason. You're closer and everything just seems more like you're one big family, but at the same time I don't mind being squished between a ton of sweaty people.

For some people they might not enjoy that, and in that case they should probably get seat tickets. I've been to three arena shows in the seated sections, and that's really fun too. You'll still have a great time and be able to sing and jump around as much as you want, but you won't have to worry about crowdsurfers, moshpits, etc. You'll also be able to bring more stuff with you because you'll have a place to put it, and it won't be as hot.

I've never had lawn tickets. I assume they aren't as good, but big arenas have screens so you'll be able to see the band no matter what.

This was all really helpful. I'm contemplating getting pit tickets, but it all really depends on prices :/ I've only seen MCR once and it was a venue of about 1600 and we were in the front row of the barricade; so I'm a little spoiled having seen them that close the first time and really don't want to be too far away. I like small venues alot more, but would see MCR anywhere anytime and need to make this happen, even if arenas aren't ideal.

I'm curious to see what MCR chooses to do, since Gerard has said that they've had a "less is more" kind of attitude and favored having heavy lights over having pyro on this tour. I'm wondering if this will change as they move into larger venues for Honda Civic. Thoughts?

Great thread! I've only seen them at 2000-3000 people venues. Became a fan near the end of Projekt Revolution...so I have no experience with this topic. Will be waiting to hear what others say!

Me too! I'm curious to see what that will be like to see them in a larger venue. It will be kind of cool to be surrounded by people rocking out to MCR as one ^_^

Arena shows really depend on the type of band you're seeing/fans that band has/etc. I've been to some really legit arena shows and I've also been to some really crappy arena shows.

I've been to festival shows that end or gravitate towards the larger amphitheater as the day drags on into the evening (e.g. Projekt Revolution), and from those experiences, lawn seats can be chill and relaxing, especially since most large venues have gigantic screens so that you can see all the action. You don't have to worry about losing your spot if you want to grab a drink or take a piss like you would in the pit. You can bring a blanket and straight up LAY DOWN. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Main problems that I've encountered with lawn seats: super obnoxious drunks, weather, probable sexual activity.

Seats are cool, too, since you have a place to be, and again, no need to worry about losing your spot. Most seats are underneath a roof so you're protected from the elements, unlike out on the lawn. The seats will probably be plastic and uncomfy, but security doesn't really give a shit (usually) if you get up and move closer to the barricade in your section. Hey, if you're lucky, you can jump the fence into the pit. You also have a ton of room to put your shit, so it's okay to bring a bag since you're less likely to lose your shit or get robbed or whatever.

Main problems: uncomfortable chairs, jealousy of those in the pit/VIP boxes.

The pit is the best, though, since you're RIGHT THERE.

Main problems: expensive, mosh pits (if you're not into that sort of thing), expensive, fucking crowd surfers, expensive, sweaty and hot (this is a summer tour, kinda), did I mention expensive?

As for meeting the band, I'd probably try post-show if you have pit tickets, but if you're lawn or pavilion, it's worth a shot to try pre-show.

My first gig was supposed to be green day at an arena date...15k people.

Basically qued for ages, ran when i got into the venue...ended up with front barrier.

It was only after the show i looked around and realised "holy shit this place is huge!:o"

Seen them since at Wembley stadium...90k people...

So basically it doesnt matter whether it's a large or small venue...as long as you're near the front :P Not like you're gonna be looking behind you much anyway ;)

My first MCR shows was in a tiny, tiny venue, wich only holds about 500 people (Myspace Secret Show, Munich 2010).

Since then I've seen MCR in 7 other Venues as well, most of them hold about 1.500 - 3.500 people. The biggest show I've seen them was at the MEN Arena in Manchester.

Personally I enjoy small shows most. I always try to be in the front, if you'll go for seats or don't like pits you'll like bigger shows better. But it also depends on the audience a lot.

This was all really helpful. I'm contemplating getting pit tickets, but it all really depends on prices :/ I've only seen MCR once and it was a venue of about 1600 and we were in the front row of the barricade; so I'm a little spoiled having seen them that close the first time and really don't want to be too far away. I like small venues alot more, but would see MCR anywhere anytime and need to make this happen, even if arenas aren't ideal.

I'm curious to see what MCR chooses to do, since Gerard has said that they've had a "less is more" kind of attitude and favored having heavy lights over having pyro on this tour. I'm wondering if this will change as they move into larger venues for Honda Civic. Thoughts?

Thanks, I'm glad. & Yeah I know, I'm praying they're not too expensive (and that I'll be able to get them before they sell out). You're lucky, I've actually never seen MCR in a small venue/in the pit, which makes it that much more exciting. (: But I'm the same way, ever since the first time I got near the front I've never been able to appreciate seat tickets as much, I feel like I need to be in the pit.

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Pyro might not really be fitting for Danger Days, but you never know.

The pit is the best, though, since you're RIGHT THERE.

Main problems: expensive, mosh pits (if you're not into that sort of thing), expensive, fucking crowd surfers, expensive, sweaty and hot (this is a summer tour, kinda), did I mention expensive?

As for meeting the band, I'd probably try post-show if you have pit tickets, but if you're lawn or pavilion, it's worth a shot to try pre-show.

@digimodify you certainly gave me alot to think about! There are ups and downs to every seating choice in a larger venue and how you laid it all out was super helpful to me and our fellow killjoys. Since I've never seen one of my favorite bands in a larger venue, it's hard to know what to expectt, since I usually just get lawn tickets and chill. Since my friends are definitely doing pit and I also want to be close, we're definitely doing pit but it also depends on prices. I know it will be a good bit more expensive, but if it's not too ridiculous, we might still be in business.

In terms of trying to meet them, I'm planning on camping out over night for both my shows and thought it might be possible to meet them before or after sound check, assuming I could figure out where their bus is. Never rule out of the possibility of accidentally meeting Gee or some configuration of MCR picking up coffee in the morning, you just never know wink.gif

I saw them at Wembley Arena (12,500) in Feb and at the Planetary shoot (500) and I would have to say that I prefer them at a smaller venue. For some reason I feel as though the arena stage was too big for them. I mean, for TBP they had props and loads of pyrotechnics, but on this tour it is just lights, and they didn't really seem to fill the space.

Usually I prefer arena's though. I saw Green Day at Wembley Stadium and it was amazing, just filled with people all wanting to have a good time, and being in the pit is amazing.

I find it really boring having seats because all I want to do is go and join everyone in the pit :P

I mean, with standing tickets you can always move towards the edge of the place so that it is less crowded and stuff, whereas with seating you are just stuck in one place, and if you don't like the people around you then you can't move away :/

I saw them at Wembley Arena (12,500) in Feb and at the Planetary shoot (500) and I would have to say that I prefer them at a smaller venue. For some reason I feel as though the arena stage was too big for them. I mean, for TBP they had props and loads of pyrotechnics, but on this tour it is just lights, and they didn't really seem to fill the space.

Usually I prefer arena's though. I saw Green Day at Wembley Stadium and it was amazing, just filled with people all wanting to have a good time, and being in the pit is amazing.

I find it really boring having seats because all I want to do is go and join everyone in the pit :P

I mean, with standing tickets you can always move towards the edge of the place so that it is less crowded and stuff, whereas with seating you are just stuck in one place, and if you don't like the people around you then you can't move away :/

You were at the Planetary shoot??? Color me jealous ^_^ That makes sense about the arena being so big for them especially that the pyro is gone for now. Either way, I really want to see them again and if this has to be at an arena, atleast I'll get to see them. Your analysis of seats versus pit was really helpful. I think pit is where I most definitely want to be and just need to get the tickets. Thanks for your help xtine :)

I saw them at Wembley Arena (12,500) in Feb and at the Planetary shoot (500) and I would have to say that I prefer them at a smaller venue.

Same, and i agree :)

i've never been seated at a gig before though, especially not MCR because they only really play big venues here, like wembley, and some of the seats go so far back.

Plus in smaller venues you can see better and get closer :)

i've never been seated at a gig before though, especially not MCR because they only really play big venues here, like wembley, and some of the seats go so far back.

Plus in smaller venues you can see better and get closer :)

I think it would be weird to see MCR seated or to have so much space, hence why I'm planning on pit tickets. I'm curious to see what they'll be like at a larger venue. If you've ever seen MCR at a large venue, please feel free to send any and all advice our way :D

• 1 month later...

I saw them in a somewhat smaller venue yet I was seated in the way back. The good thing about The Fox Theater is that every seat is good and I still enjoyed the show. I also had to get cheaper tickets for this concert at the Hollywood Bowl. It will be bigger but I'm told every seat is still good.

I saw them in a somewhat smaller venue yet I was seated in the way back. The good thing about The Fox Theater is that every seat is good and I still enjoyed the show. I also had to get cheaper tickets for this concert at the Hollywood Bowl. It will be bigger but I'm told every seat is still good.

No matter what, it's a pleasure to see the boys :) It's helpful to hear about everyone's experiences!

In my honest opinion, it all depends on where you're sitting, no matter if it's a large venue, small venue, or fest.

I've had field tickets to a fest and very much enjoyed the freedom of being able to go where ever I wanted during the shows, and not having to worry about seating or people complaining about people standing in front of them. However, thanks to inclement weather, field tickets can also be terrible, forcing you back into the seats, regardless. (Unless you don't mind rain. But then, again, you're looking at wet/muddy ground, people sliding everywhere, etc.)

In small venues I find you're going to have a lot more people crammed into a tiny space, especially if it's general seating. I went to a 3,000 person show and was lucky enough to be pretty close to the stage, but because of limited room and how many people were there, the pit was extremely squished and it was actually somewhat dangerous. Several people left with some pretty nasty looking injuries.

That's not to say small venues are terrible, given that yes, you do get a more intimate experience. Just be aware of the people around you. Things can get crazy fast if you're not cautious.

As for large venues, I personally prefer seated tickets for arena shows, as close to the stage as possible. I should probably point out here that I'm not a big fan of mosh pits to begin with, but in large venues they seem to be worse. More people body surfing, things being thrown, and general chaos due to the amount of people. Not to mention the fact that if you get pushed back, you could end up half a stadium away.

With seated tickets, as stated above, you have a place to put extra stuff (such as merch-which is always a good idea to buy before the show, as at the tables tend to have huge lines and sell out of things fast), a place to sit if you get over heated, and you still have the freedom to jump and dance to the music.

And, as for anyone behind you who may tell you to sit down or what have you? I personally ignore them. If they want to sit, that's their prerogative. I paid just as much for my ticket as they did, and it's my right to jump and dance to music I enjoy.

Ahhh. /rant =3

but what a helpful rant it was. Based on what you said about mosh pits, do you have an opinion about how pits on HCT might be? I've never been in one at a larger arena and didn't know how crazy it might be

That depends more than anything on the fans in the pit themselves, the amount of people in the pit, and the surface area that the venue has for the people in the pit area to watch the show.

From what I've noticed, the smaller the surface area the venue has for the pit and the more people there are in the pit, the more intense the pit will be.

For example, the World Contamination tour show I went to was the only pit I've been in where I was concerned the pressure from the people around me might snap my shoulder or hip bones. It was also the only pit I've ever exited where I had to breath in pure oxygen afterwords because I still was having trouble breathing from all of the pressure that was applied to my body while in the pit.

But that show happened at a tiny venue, and there were a lot of people in that pit.

HCT shows for the most part are probably mostly scheduled at arena venues if not only scheduled at arena venues. The pit area will be more spacious, and that will alleviate pressure within the pit.

While I can't say how much moshing will occur in the pit at these shows, the pressure of the pit itself on your body shouldn't hurt you much at all, unless you go for front and center barricades. Even that pressure isn't bad though in comparison to a pit with the same amount of people in a smaller surface area.

It is true that it really depends on the fans in the pit, rather than size or location.

You can have a massive area and still have a super crazy mosh pit if there are fans present that are wild and crazy.

I have been to a concert that Rancid was playing at, and I can tell you right now that some of their fans are very rowdy. So, if you're going to a show that they're opening for, the mosh will more than likely not be overly pleasant.

The nice thing, however, is that the fan base is more wide-spread with how old Blink-182 is, so there should be a nice offset of older people in the pit as well. That is not going to mean that the pit will be any less crazy, but it may very well mean that it won't be as bad as it could be.

So, really, just keep an eye on the people around you. If they seem to be the type who would crush you for no other reason than to be rowdy, be careful. If not, you should get away with little more then some bruises.

It is true that it really depends on the fans in the pit, rather than size or location.

You can have a massive area and still have a super crazy mosh pit if there are fans present that are wild and crazy.

That is not going to mean that the pit will be any less crazy, but it may very well mean that it won't be as bad as it could be.

So, really, just keep an eye on the people around you. If they seem to be the type who would crush you for no other reason than to be rowdy, be careful. If not, you should get away with little more then some bruises.

These are really helpful statements.

Since I'm going to a show in the pit earlier on HCT, I'll definitely let you all know how it goes :)

I usually go to large venues, and they're great. But I really like large crowds of people, so that's my main reason. The venue I usually go to is an auditorium (they do everything there), so they usually just have general admission ($60-$90 depending on the show) and then you get there early enough to get a good spot on the floor (basically "the pit," except the size of an ice rink) or good seats. I really like this set up a lot more and wish My Chem would stop there sometime, because with the HCT I think I'm just realizing how much normal tickets cost... or maybe it's just because I'm in a small venue.

I'm going to the Saratoga show at SPAC, and it's a small pavilion area. I wanted pit tickets, but because of the size of the venue they're considered "V.I.P." tickets and cost nearly $130. -___- This will be my first concert in a seat, so I don't know what to expect. Do people usually stand anyway, or are you expected to contain yourself and just flail around in the chair? o_o

I'm still really excited though, since from what people have said small venues are really nice and family-like, which is awesome. :)

I just hope it's not a feuding family of killjoys and blinks.... eh.... (BUT that is a conversation for a different topic. One that I will be watching intently as the first few stops on HCT come around..).

Do people usually stand anyway, or are you expected to contain yourself and just flail around in the chair? o_o

You can do what you like :)

The first time I saw Green Day I had seated tickets, our row was up dancing and singing, but the row in front of us were just sat there.

If you want to stand up go ahead, no one can stop you :D

Archived