Tornado/storm Relief For Joplin, Mo - We Need Your Help!

JBomb

Hello everyone. Some of you may have heard already, A tornado hit the city of Joplin a town of about 50,000 people that is located in the southwestern corner of the state Missouri on Sunday evening. It is unsure at this time but they are predicting that the tornado was an F-4 or an F-5. The tornado tore a 6 mile path out of the city, literally tearing the heart of downtown Joplin out. It tore through an 8 story hospital, a home depot, a WalMart, and a high school and numerous neighborhoods. The death toll has risen to 120 fatalities. There are 400 injured, but those numbers are expected to rise if not double. I live about 30 minutes away from Joplin in Kansas. I have friends and family who live in Joplin, and my father and step mother work at a hospital in Joplin. (Thankfully not the one that got hit.) I had friends who were visiting Joplin that evening who were caught in the middle of the storm, but luckily survived with a chest contusion and a twisted ankle. Their car, however is obviously totaled. Everyone that I know in Joplin has survived, but others have not been so lucky. Many are left with nothing and many cannot find their loved ones or neighbors.

My friend Aaron and fellow photographer who is a Joplin resident has been documenting some amazing photos of the damage. His house was two blocks from where the tornado went through. He has a tree on his house, but it seems to still be there. You can see his chilling photos here on his Flickr.

As you can see we need all the support we can get. I am thinking of something I can do for relief efforts, but at this time there is an urgent need for donations. Please help us. We need support. The RedCross has now set up a donation page for those affected in Joplin. The minimum donation amount is 10 dollars. If you have this to spare, please do so. If not, please pass this along to others. Donate here.

There is another threat for tornadoes to strike the midwest again tonight. We are all frantic here and are very upset. Some of us haven't slept. Please help out in any way that you can.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

- J.

Archived