Alkaline Trio

JunkPunks

They announced their "new" acoustic album today, as well as some tour dates. I AM SO EXCITED. I love acoustic Trio. Dan's voice is like butter and I love it when Matt gets all soft and husky when he sings.

tumblr_lkxv62ojjw1qzgcteo1_500.jpg

High energy melodic cult rockers Alkaline Trio will be releasing a brand new album entitled Damnesia this July 12th via Epitaph Records/Heart & Skull. The new record features a selection of beloved fan favorites selected from the group’s extensive catalogue and presented in an intimate-semi unplugged format. Also included will be a cover of the song “I Held Her In My Arms” by influential indie rock trio The Violent Femmes as well as two brand new Alkaline Trio songs entitled “Olde English 800” and “I Remember A Rooftop.”

Also, on sale this week are tickets for the first leg of the group’s special 15th anniversary tour which kicks off July 10th. The band plans to make the tour something special for fans. As singer/bassist Dan Andriano explains, “We’re looking forward to our 15th anniversary tour this summer. We’re going to really try to put together a set that encompasses everything the band has done over the past 15 years and plan to play some songs that rarely find their way in to the set list. We will also play some songs in an unplugged style similar to what we’ve recently recorded on Damnesia. It’s going to be a lot of fun.” Since forming in Illinois, in 1996, Alkaline Trio has continued to amass a devoted cult following with their infectious punk hooks and darkly dramatic tongue-in-cheek lyrics, Comprised of guitarist/vocalist Matt Skiba, bassist/vocalist Dan Andriano and drummer Derek Grant, the band has created some of punk’s most memorable songs with favorites like “Radio” from the 2000 album Maybe I’ll Catch Fire, “Mercy Me” from the 2005 album Crimson, “Blue In The Face” from 2003’s Good Mourning and “The American Scream” from 2010’s This Addiction.

They've only announced a small handful of dates so far but I'm really hoping for an Austin date. After this upcoming MCR trip I don't think my bank account can handle MORE traveling to get to shows.....But I'd probably risk starvation yet again to go. I need to see them again so badly. -_-

Revenge and Crimson were my high school records. I think I got into them after the Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show album was released, I played that until it wouldn't play anymore.

I'm hoping they'll add Canadian dates, but like you, I'm a little lacking for concert funds, especially after NXNE and Thursday.

It's not very often that I hear Trio fans say that Crimson is their favorite album. I actually get kind of tired hearing the fans complaining about how awful it is. I loved it myself and I thought it was some of their best writing. I think Agony and Irony got a bit of the same flack. Last time I saw them they didn't play any songs from Crimson or A&I. It was an amazing time and a stellar show, but I remember being a bit bummed they didn't play Burn or Calling All Skeletons.

oh yay is this finally someone else I can gush about Alkaline Trio with? I've only seen them 3 times, but they're definitely one of my favorite bands. Good Mourning is probably my favorite album.

Have you heard the new version of clavicle? it's kind of brilliant.

and I'm hoping they announce at least one Florida date. I haven't seen them since warped last year :(

I want to see them when they are the headliners!! I saw them when they were with Rise Against in 2008. I'm a bad fan, I DLed their discography quite a few years ago, but that's on a dead PC. I need to buy some of their CDs so I can listen to them again outside of youtube :P

oh yay is this finally someone else I can gush about Alkaline Trio with? I've only seen them 3 times, but they're definitely one of my favorite bands. Good Mourning is probably my favorite album.

Have you heard the new version of clavicle? it's kind of brilliant.

and I'm hoping they announce at least one Florida date. I haven't seen them since warped last year :(

Yes, I've heard it. I can't say I'm a fan of Matt's voice in it for some reason though. I guess I'm used to how gravely it was in the original, but I definitely dig the newish arrangement. When they said acoustic album I was literally expecting very bare bones. I was pleasantly surprised and I can't wait to hear the rest to experience what they've done with the songs.

I think they may announce one, Dan actually lives in Florida so that probably ups the chances. Haha. I think this tour is going to be one that shouldn't be missed since they are going the intimate acoustic route.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so im going to see the awesomeness that is alkaline trio in November :D

ive loved them for years there has just always been something in the way they came to England so im excited to finally get to see them.

anyone else alkaline trio fans and if so are going to see them or have you seen them live and what's your fave song by them ? :)

so im going to see the awesomeness that is alkaline trio in November :D

ive loved them for years there has just always been something in the way they came to England so im excited to finally get to see them.

anyone else alkaline trio fans and if so are going to see them or have you seen them live and what's your fave song by them ? :)

There's already a thread for Alkaline Trio here. I'll merge them for you :)

I am still absolutely devastated that they skipped over Texas, while California got SIX dates, and none of their other dates were less than a 13 hour drive from my location. I simply do not have the means for a trip like that. Some people are saying that they are banned from Texas because of something that happened the summer they were on Warped tour. I hope that's not true and if it is, I hope it doesn't mean they are banned for life. If that's the case, I won't be able to see them ever again unless I move out of Texas, and I don't see myself doing that for a very very long time.

• 1 year later...

Alkaline Trio is a band I really fell in love at first sight and listen. ;) They were playing at a festival I was going to, called Groezrock Festival. I've heard their band name several times before but never heard one of their songs so I decided that was a good idea to go and watch their performance.

It turned out to be a brilliant idea, I've been quite obsessed with them since then and really can't stop listening to Agony and Irony.

I actually don't really like their new song much at all. Those lyrics are lazy and embarrassing. There's always this dark sense of humor, clever word play and great metaphor and that just wasn't present at all in this song. It was just so basic, like he was simply trying to rhyme words and nothing much more. Also, Matt's voice sounds kind of weird in this song, it's almost.....unpleasant, which really really really pains me to say because I LOVE Matt's voice. Even on theHell EP and Sekrets record which were only released last year. But in this song it sounds like he's really straining and struggling to make his voice thicker and more raspy, and that just doesn't work too much anymore because the fact is, his voice has really thinned out over the years.

But despite that, I'm not even going to trip, really. They haven't picked a good lead single since Good Mourning, imo. Their albums as a whole have never disappointed me so I'm just going to wait until we get to hear more and hope that the video is good, at least.

AND STILL HOPING THEY DECIDE TO OR ACTUALLY CAN COME BACK TO TEXAS. I'm still pissed that Matt skipped over us for his solo shows, and I know they aren't banned individually because Dan has been here himself a few times since the incident.

If there is anyone driving up from Dallas or that lives in the central texas area: Killen/Harker Heights/Ft.Hood/Cove/Belton/Bell county area, is there anyone that would be willing to give me a lift to and from the Austin date since it’s on the way? I live in Harker Heights. I’m really quiet irl so I wouldn’t be annoying and I can compensate you for gas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New album streaming. After such a shit few days, this is nice. Perfect timing from my other 1st favorite band. I wouldn't have them either if it weren't for MCR. Funny how that works, huh?

The flow of this album is perfect. I'm trying to listen to it for the first time just straight through, but it's hard not to want to repeat ever track but Warhol. Such a return to form but a great progression at the same time. Good one. Fantastic album, probably one of their best.

Archived