Tina

Improvements To The Board

some official like this one require all new users to wait 24 hours before they cant post. They are automatically locked from posting. Maybe you could do that? Have a 24 hour lock on posting with new members and have them send an email o prove their humanity.

How does everybody feel about member ranks? It is currently as follows:

Newbie - 0 posts

Member - 10 posts

Cadet - 50 posts

Motorbaby - 100 posts

Killjoy - 200 posts

Captain - 400 posts

Custom member title - 500 posts

Should we change the names? Should the number of posts to achieve certain ranks change?

Also, reputation (the amount of +1s you get) has changed slightly. It is now -

10 - good

50 - excellent

100 - awesome

Do you think we should go higher? Name suggestions?

don't change the titles! I'm so close to being a Captain ..... a fellow dr who/torchwood fan always refers to me as Captain Jacki (usually just captain!) so being an official captain is an excellent status :)

but if the consensus is to change then I'll just be Cap'n J in my strange universe!

Yeah, or maybe keep custom titles at 1000 to keep people interested and maybe something extra for 1000 or 2000? I don't know what you can let people do, customisation-wise though. And basically I'm suggesting that because I don't want to loose my custom title for 33 posts.

The trouble with that is that they'd have the custom title at 1000 posts, but then it'd be taken away at 2000 (as you can't have both). But I'm definitely thinking custom title should be put up to 1000, I just don't know what to call the other rank!

I'm iffy about doing anything until we know what's the deal with the forum's future....

• Upvote 1

as we're an army, why not continue the theme? major, colonel, general? maybe at every 200 posts (major 600, colonel 800, general 1000). veteran is good too (at 1500?) - depends how many ranks you want. then custom at 2000!

a little bit of a shake-up seems like a good thing to me :)

It depends on what military branch of service we would use. If we Army, would we be enlisted or officers or enlisted officers. Navy, Marines and Air Force and Army have differents ranks of the same name that mean different status. A Captain in the Navy is higher than a Captain in the Marines because it is of of equal rank and their equivalent of a col.

there are 6 of each loop. My dad was a Marine Officer. I know things....

but i'm assuming ranks are different for different countries' militaries... we shouldn't really base them on american ones :-/

i just looked at UK army! did glance at US too - in either case, there may well be other ranks between each but they both had a similar hierarchy in that General was higher than colonel etc. doesn't really matter if we leave out ones in between and I was just going with adding in higher ranks rather than replacing all the existing ranks. And as we're any army, we wouldn't use other service rankings, just armies!

but hey, it was just an idea, so whatever people come up with that works better then its cool whatever :)

yeah i think using military titles is a good idea to keep with the theme. i like the idea of saying someone is a "veteran" of the boards at whatever point

we could also change some of the lower titles to go with it all...

member = private

motorbaby = sergeant

killjoy = lieutenant

i think those terms are general (ha) enough? idk

That could work

could have really high ranks for people who break i don't 5k posts?

Can we go higher with the titles for a large amount of +1's? I can definitely think of more adjectives if need be. And no, I'm totally not bringing this up because I reached 1,000 +1's...

Can someone explain to me the function of 'warning points' - I don't have any but I never really noticed it before until the boards were revamped.

In regards to the custom title/member ranks - why do we want to change it? Do we want people to work harder to be able to achieve a 'custom title'? What is the rationale behind it? Personally I think each posting milestone that equals a change in member rank is fine - perhaps as discussed you'd want to change the titles from killjoy, motorbaby etc...as the present automatic member titles are a little too restricting and perhaps titles could be more reflective and encompassing of the all the 'MCR eras'. Then again at a push, perhaps bumping up the custom title to 1000/1500 posts allows for more ranks to be introduced...Either way it makes no difference to me as it took me best part of 2 years to reach 500 posts (I'm a lackadaisical poster), probably take me another 2 years to make 1000 posts and get a custom title.

I do think we could jazz up the reputation titles though.