Living On The Railways...

Tina

railways2.jpg?1304228159 I think the word Glenn Beck was looking for was "subversion" not "propaganda", because I don't know what it would be considered propaganda for- truth? sentiment?

And I can't tell what he's angrier about- the fact that it's how I feel about the persistent sterilization of our culture or the fact that it's on network television for everyone to hear.

And railways? Is it 1863? Seen any children living on these lately instead of the internet?

I'm actually shocked that no actual fact-checking was done on the lyrics. I mean Fox is a major news channel, covering factual topics in an unbiased and intelligent-

oh wait-

To quote the man himself- "You don't have to live by the standards that society has set,"

I couldn't agree more.

g

PS- drawing is a depiction of an actual situation involving children, indeed "living on the railways" with one Jimmy "Backscratch Pete" Mulrooney, of Kansas City.

View the full article

I saw that drawing and I said "Gerard, if you are trying to tell us that you and the other Killjoys are secretly magic rock-and-roll banjo playing hobos, then I might just have to hug you, whether you like it or not. *reads the blorg* BOBDAMMIT GERARD HUG ME!"

LOL..............people from Kansas City, -once again- being depicted as hillbillies. This could only be accurate because we do have a rather larger railroad system that goes through KC. Although I do enjoy beans AND pull my finger, so it's a bit accurate and I'm sure my ancestors from 1863 enjoyed their beans as well.

I don't think Gerard should've blogged about the Glenn Beck incident.

After watching the video, it was pretty obvious that Beck had no clear argument. People who watch Beck regularly will probably not seek out MCR, thus this blog is irrelevant since Gerard's essentially preaching to the choir. I understand that Gerard's probably doing this blog more for his benefit than ours, but still, I don't think it's "official news" worthy.

I'd also like Gerard to define exactly what's being "sterilized" in our respective culture(s) - he throws that term/phrase around a lot. If there's an interview where he goes into detail about this terminology, please link me.

Finally, that comic rubs me the wrong way.

After watching the video, it was pretty obvious that Beck had no clear argument. People who watch Beck regularly will probably not seek out MCR, thus this blog is irrelevant since Gerard's essentially preaching to the choir. I understand that Gerard's probably doing this blog more for his benefit than ours, but still, I don't think it's "official news" worthy.

I'd also like Gerard to define exactly what's being "sterilized" in our respective culture(s) - he throws that term/phrase around a lot. If there's an interview where he goes into detail about this terminology, please link me.

This.

I agree that G should not have commented on this, he should have just let it go. No one was taking it seriously. If anything they're gonna take his response now and keep this shit going when it could have just ended and he could have just ignored it. Same with his twitter, sometimes he just needs to NOT respond to shit. I love him, but sometimes what he says makes me wonder.

And like, maybe it's just because I was raised in a conservative household and my parents watch Fox News religiously (for the record even they don't take Glenn Beck that seriously) but I'm sick of people calling Fox News out for being ~omg so bias~. Hell yes they are bias, this is not brand new information, but the only thing that makes them different from every other news station is that they're bias the other way. Everyone else is left bias but no one calls them out for it. /unpopular opinion

I agree that G should not have commented on this, he should have just let it go. No one was taking it seriously. If anything they're gonna take his response now and keep this shit going when it could have just ended and he could have just ignored it. Same with his twitter, sometimes he just needs to NOT respond to shit. I love him, but sometimes what he says makes me wonder.

And like, maybe it's just because I was raised in a conservative household and my parents watch Fox News religiously (for the record even they don't take Glenn Beck that seriously) but I'm sick of people calling Fox News out for being ~omg so bias~. Hell yes they are bias, this is not brand new information, but the only thing that makes them different from every other news station is that they're bias the other way. Everyone else is left bias but no one calls them out for it. /unpopular opinion

I agree with your comment that all media is bias and no one calls out the left-wing bias, and I sympathize with being raised in a conservative household (with parents who do actually like Mr. Beck). But Glenn Beck is really far out there, and this is just one example of why he's such an ignorant man. I don't really think there was anything wrong with Gerard responding to him and it's really such an under the radar issue (except to fans of Glee or MCR) that a [pretty tame] response really isn't going to stir the pot.

Actually, Fox News classifies GB as an entertainment and commentary show -- not news. The news programming is indeed more factual (although biased, as all news inherently must be in one way or another since everything must be simplified into a point of view in order to fit the time slots).

But, since the topic could have recirculated on Fox & Friends or one of the other more newsy shows, I think it's fine that Gerard spoke out. It's a song that has come to mean hope to millions of fans, and I understand all of the band when they are mad about having it trashed for cable ratings purposes.

LOL..............people from Kansas City, -once again- being depicted as hillbillies. This could only be accurate because we do have a rather larger railroad system that goes through KC. Although I do enjoy beans AND pull my finger, so it's a bit accurate and I'm sure my ancestors from 1863 enjoyed their beans as well.

^LOL I honestly don't think he's purposely slamming anyone from kansas, I think since the things Beck said were kind of childish and that maybe responding with an equally childish comic (whether intentionally childish or not I'm unsure) is appropriate since his post wasn't mean to be ultra serious (just as no one is taking Beck seriously).

Whether it was just Gerard being Gerard as some are saying or the case being Gerard poking fun at Beck in the way he responded, you choose, but I don't condemn him for saying something. It's their song, they have the right to say something about it if they want to. If they refrained from saying something out of fear of public reaction, or they just said what they felt was acceptable and went with the public opinion in what they did choose to say, then to me that wouldn't make them much different from a politician trying to win popularity by 'not having opinions' to please the vast majority. Come on you guys, he could have said a lot lot lot worse, and who cares what the media thinks anyways? :P

I feel like the lyrics in my sig really sum up how I feel about this, that's just my two cents though.

But isn't the comic just making the point visually that Gee does in his prose? I think he is saying that lyrics like these harken back to bygone era -- specifically the turn of the last century:

Cleaned-up corporation progress,

Dying in the process.

Children that can talk about it,

Living on the railways.

Isn't he implying that the words in the song paint both old and new images? These are images from Gilded Age, the later Trust-Busting efforts or Teddy Roosevelt, and maybe the Great Depression beyond that. Likewise, the comic drawing style is like Windsor McKay of that era turn-of-the-1900s era, or Thomas Nast well before him, and I thought it was a brilliant mimicry. He is not making fun of hobos or kids on the rails. He is using the thoughtful political cartoon images of that old era to make a point that Glenn Beck and his producers need to think a little deeper about the lyrics of a song before criticizing it so brazenly on a national cable show.

So, the comic didn't bother me and in fact I thought it was a very clever homage to comic styles from 100+ years ago.

That Glenn Beck was already not renewed by Fox, and will be off the air later this year (http://www.tmz.com/2011/04/06/glenn-beck-ending-fox-news-show/), does make the debate ironic.

BUT, should the band not have defended a song that has such meaning to so many people? Sure, they could have done a more "politically correct" correction to Glenn Back, kowtowing to his celebrity stature and gently explaining the words to the song in some kind of syrupy letter -- but we know that's just not in their nature. If one parent bans MCR from the household because of Glenn Beck's misinterpretation of a song, that's one too many.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I wonder if the guys will get invited onto either GB or The Daily Show?

Archived