Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Button

Map Of All Zones Everywhere.

Hello killjoys, Red Button reporting!

So basically I made a map of the world that labeled all the zones everywhere, from Battery city outward. I doubt it's fool-proof, and if you don't think it's true enough of a map, then please disregard this. (I happen to kind of agree with you, because even though I did as much as I could to make it legitimate, I'm not exactly the expert in zones, that's Gerard's department.) I considered not posting this because I'm really not sure if it counts as a tool, since I essentially made it up - after all, it's not official unless Gerard Way makes it. But then I realized that if this were out there, then fuck yeah I'd wanna know about it. I'm posting the map because, even though I don't think I have the right to say which zones are where, I'm very proud of how I calculated the placement of the zones and stayed as true to the original map as possible, and let's face it, who doesn't wanna know which zone they live in? Hell, it's probably the case that after zone 6 there are no zones, and we all just live in zone 6, but really, where's the fun in everyone just living in zone 6? So if you wanna have a bit of fun finding yourself on these maps, then that's exactly what my intention was and all the more power to you! :D

So, I'll explain how I made the maps, cuz I'm a nerd and I know fellow geeks will like this. As most of you know, the original map looks like this:

mpcd.jpg

I got the idea to try and make a map of the world's zones, so I spent about an hour looking at the LA area on Google maps trying to match up the map with the coast, because I'd heard that Battery City was based on LA and the black part had always looked like some weird coastline to me. After staring at Long Beach for an hour, I suddenly realized this:

227435_1813469990852_1663134776_1674598_1133121_n.jpg

I busted up laughing, called the MCR folks clever bastards, and proceeded to make the rest of the map from Google Maps, cuz hell, it's a handy resource and apparently the origin of the original map, so it seemed appropriate.

When it comes to diameter of the zones, I stared at the original map until I found a pattern in its zone radii. I based the radius off the space that makes up each zone: in other words, if there's zone 1 and zone 2, then the "radial difference" in zone 2 is the total radius of zone 2 from Battery minus the total radius of zone 1.

This radial difference is the same in two succeeding zones. Then the next zone is calculated from the previous zone's radial difference, plus 50%. Then the zone after this new zone has that same radial difference, and the cycle starts over. so if "R" = the radial difference, and each number represents the number of a zone, then R(1)=R(2), and then R(3)=R(2)x1.5, and R(4)=R(3), and R(5)=R(4)x1.5.

I hope that made sense. :/ I'll make a diagram or something if no one understood it.

With the above method as my guide, I came up with the following maps. I made a bunch because I figured those of us in California would wanna know our exact zone, and the zones near Battery get pretty tiny from far away.

As for extra Cities that are like Battery, I skipped putting them in, just because I don't know which cities would be included and I'd have to make up a crapload of information to do it, and I'm already tinkering with someone else's fictional universe as it is, so I'd rather not. I'd actually love to put Tokyo as a "Battery City," and I'm pretty sure Gerard would make Tokyo next on the list if he were gonna add any other cities, since Japan loves the band so much, but again, I realistically have no earthly clue which other cities would be other Batterys. I know it's very likely not true that Battery City is the last civilization on the planet in this universe, but again, I hate making up data for projects that are trying to be accurate, like maps.

Also, for the world map, I tried to make it as accurate as possible, with the highest quality. So I took the map from this site, which boasted having a free and accurate world map in vector format. So basically its resolution goes on for fucking ever. Lots of zooming in for those of you in the UK and Mexico. I did this because even though Google maps was the original format, the resolution there would be absolute crap and the boys deserve better. Unfortunately, in order to relatively center Battery City so that the circular zones would spread over the world evenly, I had to cut off the east part of the map and paste it on the other side. I compared it to Google Maps again to get it as close as possible, but if you're on the edge of the zones west of the Atlantic, sorry for the uncertainty, I did the best I could.

Without further fucking ado, here they are, I hope they're good enough for you lovely people. They're in order from closest to furthest zoom:

Closest Zoom: LA Area. Better image here.

215852_1813468230808_1663134776_1674586_4285876_n.jpg

2nd Closest Zoom: Better image here.

231150_1813468390812_1663134776_1674587_8213943_n.jpg

3rd Closest Zoom: Better image here.

227417_1813468670819_1663134776_1674589_3698697_n.jpg

And etc because that's all the images I can post here:

4th Closest Zoom: from Monterey to Tijuana. Better image here.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227808_1813468950826_1663134776_1674591_7236811_n.jpg

5th Closest Zoom: from SF to the Gulf of California. Better image here.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226882_1813469150831_1663134776_1674593_2799750_n.jpg

6th Closest Zoom: CA plus most of the States. Better image here.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229505_1813469390837_1663134776_1674594_3326630_n.jpg

7th Closest Zoom: The US, going into Canada and Mexico. Better image here.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226905_1813469550841_1663134776_1674595_937473_n.jpg

Furthest Zoom: Canada to Northern South America. Better image here.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227591_1813469790847_1663134776_1674597_5297210_n.jpg

World View: Download the hi-resolution image here.(There's a button to download it under the bottom right hand corner of the map.)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224341_1813470430863_1663134776_1674601_6247519_n.jpg

(salutes) Red Button reporting from zone 20. Have fun, killjoys.

Edit: Heh, guess the site didn't like that many big pictures. Whoops.

Edit Edit: Someone asked if they could post this stuff on their tumblr. Ya'll can post it wherever the crap you feel like, I made this stuff for you guys!

UPDATE! HELP WITH THIS PROJECT:

This is a map of zones across the world.

However, the map I made is based on the assumption that there is only one Battery City. It just feels like that's a little unlikely in a post-apocalyptic (or etc.) universe. That said, I'd like to retool the map so that there are more cities. But I also hate making up data, so my mission for my fellow soldiers is this:

Bring me your theories about the killjoy universe, every thought you've had about what might have happened or is happening and any other kind of theory you can think of. If you've got sources for your theory, bring those too, and if you've got other sources that don't necessarily support your theory, tag them on as well. This could include lyrics, interviews, official pictures, artwork, and anything else released by the band. And if you've got them, post your reasoning behind different cities that might be included in the list of Batteries. Anything you have to offer, as an MCRmy soldier, is greatly appreciated and will definitely be taken into account. This map isn't for me, it's for all of you.

On another note, I'd also like to hear everyone's thoughts on whether or not the second map should even be made. The first map was made with as much supporting data as possible, but it's hardly official. Do you think another map should be made? Should only Battery be included, in the end? Are the super-large zones annoying or do you all think the wide-spread camaraderie is more important?

I'll make another post below to list different theories, but don't read it until you know what you wanna suggest. I'd hate for anyone here to jump on a bandwagon, because it might cause for lost theory.

Think you've got a thought? Then post, and do it now!

Good luck, fellow soldiers! (salute)

The Theories:

Better Living Industries is a multinational corporation that bombed every major city and blamed it on each country's respective enemy. A world war ensued, after which Better Living stepped in and cleaned up, promising a better, safer world. To do this, they assimilated everyone into the cities. If you refused to assimilated, you were brainwashed and turned into a draculoid (or killed). Some people escaped Better Living Industries, and those people became zoners. Better Living Industries is essentially the government. [Otakupunk]

Possible relations to Fallout 3? -->The Thread [referred by SoniaMarie]

Better Living Industries is a company, right? So they're profit-oriented. Which means they'd save the cities that yield the most profit. This means that BLI would save the most economically wealthy cities, i.e.: The List of Cities, and The Methodology.

Which cities could BLI have saved? Well, here's a wikipedia source that includes several lists of possibilities: LINK [rachelescent]

If Better Living is the government in each country, they would have to take over each center of government in every country, so those cities (like Washington D.C.) would also logically be Battery Cities. [arcenic_rose] [hell_razor]

Highly populated areas also should have Battery Cities. If BLI needed to evacuate citizens into Batterys, then logically speaking they should use what is already there.[Fuse Fury]

There would be more established cities on the west coast of the US than on the east coast, if the Fires were because of nuclear warheads, since radiation would clear more quickly on west coast. [Fuse Fury]

In older continents, popular cities would be Batterys because they would already be way more established over a longer period of time. [Fuse Fury]

Battery Cities in Australia and Africa are up for debate, because colonization and imperialistic policies have dealt damage to the natural order more recently. If there are older, established cities, they should be taken note of, but for those living in these two areas, please provide input: where do you see Better Living Industries taking hold? [Fuse Fury]

Also, suggestions for killjoys:

Pull a classic terrorist and hide in your very own mountainous cave! There are no heat sensors that will find you there, and it'll be easy to lose dracs in the tricky terrain. [Fuse Fury]

you rock my world. thanks for this. i would have never had the patience.

(hehe. i get to fight BL/ind from the inside. battery city dwellers, watch out)

you rock my world. thanks for this. i would have never had the patience.

(hehe. i get to fight BL/ind from the inside. battery city dwellers, watch out)

:P Thanks, that's such a big ego boost! (And if you need backup, lemme know, the Timelords'll be happy to help ;))

you stole what i was going to say!!

lol, thanks guys! And Sanity, if the boar in your sig is a reference to Tank Girl, I'm gonna have so much happy.

Hello killjoys, Red Button reporting!

So basically I made a map of the world that labeled all the zones everywhere, from Battery city outward. I doubt it's fool-proof, and if you don't think it's true enough of a map, then please disregard this. (I happen to kind of agree with you, because even though I did as much as I could to make it legitimate, I'm not exactly the expert in zones, that's Gerard's department.) I considered not posting this because I'm really not sure if it counts as a tool, since I essentially made it up - after all, it's not official unless Gerard Way makes it. But then I realized that if this were out there, then fuck yeah I'd wanna know about it. I'm posting the map because, even though I don't think I have the right to say which zones are where, I'm very proud of how I calculated the placement of the zones and stayed as true to the original map as possible, and let's face it, who doesn't wanna know which zone they live in? Hell, it's probably the case that after zone 6 there are no zones, and we all just live in zone 6, but really, where's the fun in everyone just living in zone 6? So if you wanna have a bit of fun finding yourself on these maps, then that's exactly what my intention was and all the more power to you! :D

So, I'll explain how I made the maps, cuz I'm a nerd and I know fellow geeks will like this. As most of you know, the original map looks like this:

mpcd.jpg

Cool! That puts me in Zone 20. :D

I got the idea to try and make a map of the world's zones, so I spent about an hour looking at the LA area on Google maps trying to match up the map with the coast, because I'd heard that Battery City was based on LA and the black part had always looked like some weird coastline to me. After staring at Long Beach for an hour, I suddenly realized this:

227435_1813469990852_1663134776_1674598_1133121_n.jpg

I busted up laughing, called the MCR folks clever bastards, and proceeded to make the rest of the map from Google Maps, cuz hell, it's a handy resource and apparently the origin of the original map, so it seemed appropriate.

When it comes to diameter of the zones, I stared at the original map until I found a pattern in its zone radii. I based the radius off the space that makes up each zone: in other words, if there's zone 1 and zone 2, then the "radial difference" in zone 2 is the total radius of zone 2 from Battery minus the total radius of zone 1.

This radial difference is the same in two succeeding zones. Then the next zone is calculated from the previous zone's radial difference, plus 50%. Then the zone after this new zone has that same radial difference, and the cycle starts over. so if "R" = the radial difference, and each number represents the number of a zone, then R(1)=R(2), and then R(3)=R(2)x1.5, and R(4)=R(3), and R(5)=R(4)x1.5.

I hope that made sense. :/ I'll make a diagram or something if no one understood it.

With the above method as my guide, I came up with the following maps. I made a bunch because I figured those of us in California would wanna know our exact zone, and the zones near Battery get pretty tiny from far away.

As for extra Cities that are like Battery, I skipped putting them in, just because I don't know which cities would be included and I'd have to make up a crapload of information to do it, and I'm already tinkering with someone else's fictional universe as it is, so I'd rather not. I'd actually love to put Tokyo as a "Battery City," and I'm pretty sure Gerard would make Tokyo next on the list if he were gonna add any other cities, since Japan loves the band so much, but again, I realistically have no earthly clue which other cities would be other Batterys. I know it's very likely not true that Battery City is the last civilization on the planet in this universe, but again, I hate making up data for projects that are trying to be accurate, like maps.

Also, for the world map, I tried to make it as accurate as possible, with the highest quality. So I took the map from this site, which boasted having a free and accurate world map in vector format. So basically its resolution goes on for fucking ever. Lots of zooming in for those of you in the UK and Mexico. I did this because even though Google maps was the original format, the resolution there would be absolute crap and the boys deserve better. Unfortunately, in order to relatively center Battery City so that the circular zones would spread over the world evenly, I had to cut off the east part of the map and paste it on the other side. I compared it to Google Maps again to get it as close as possible, but if you're on the edge of the zones west of the Atlantic, sorry for the uncertainty, I did the best I could.

Without further fucking ado, here they are, I hope they're good enough for you lovely people. They're in order from closest to furthest zoom:

Closest Zoom: LA Area. Better image here.

215852_1813468230808_1663134776_1674586_4285876_n.jpg

2nd Closest Zoom: Better image here.

231150_1813468390812_1663134776_1674587_8213943_n.jpg

3rd Closest Zoom: Better image here.

227417_1813468670819_1663134776_1674589_3698697_n.jpg

And etc because that's all the images I can post here:

4th Closest Zoom: from Monterey to Tijuana. Better image here.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227808_1813468950826_1663134776_1674591_7236811_n.jpg

5th Closest Zoom: from SF to the Gulf of California. Better image here.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226882_1813469150831_1663134776_1674593_2799750_n.jpg

6th Closest Zoom: CA plus most of the States. Better image here.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229505_1813469390837_1663134776_1674594_3326630_n.jpg

7th Closest Zoom: The US, going into Canada and Mexico. Better image here.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/226905_1813469550841_1663134776_1674595_937473_n.jpg

Furthest Zoom: Canada to Northern South America. Better image here.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/227591_1813469790847_1663134776_1674597_5297210_n.jpg

World View: Download the hi-resolution image here.(There's a button to download it under the bottom right hand corner of the map.)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224341_1813470430863_1663134776_1674601_6247519_n.jpg

(salutes) Red Button reporting from zone 20. Have fun, killjoys.

Edit: Heh, guess the site didn't like that many big pictures. Whoops.

Edit Edit: Someone asked if they could post this stuff on their tumblr. Ya'll can post it wherever the crap you feel like, I made this stuff for you guys!

Another Zone 29er right here!

Major awesomeness :lol:

Edit: okay after looking at the "better image" for The "7th closest zoom". I couldn't stop staring. :o

I am now convinced you are an agent of BL/ind because I was SERIOUSLY HYPNOTIZED by all the rainbow colors...

*draws raygun*

This is pretty amazing. I wanted to know what zone I was in.

Apparently I live in Zone 4, but go to school in motherfucking battery city.

Thank you so much for making this!

This is cool

Zone 33 by your map

it would be cool to know wether this is how you calculate it of if after zone 6 it just Dead Zone or, as was said before if other countries have their own Battery City where the zones start again or even are called different things like Zone Alpha, Zone Beta.

This is cool

Zone 33 by your map

it would be cool to know wether this is how you calculate it of if after zone 6 it just Dead Zone or, as was said before if other countries have their own Battery City where the zones start again or even are called different things like Zone Alpha, Zone Beta.

That's so awesome, I'm from zone 34. Not too far away from you xD And yes, I thought about that too, but I think it's about the countries and how many killjoys are there. :/ Cause if there are not to many, I don't think there is anyone chasing them. Or even know about their existence xD Except other killjoys of course.

whoa, you are way too smart with all of those radial differences and shit.

:D mad skillz there.

i go to school in zone 29 and am from zone 26. wh00t.

it would be cool if you could determine a few important cities that would be "battery cities" and make zones from them.

i just googled "most important cities in the world" (lol) and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

idk what to do after that :P

Another Zone 29er right here!

Major awesomeness :lol:

Edit: okay after looking at the "better image" for The "7th closest zoom". I couldn't stop staring. :o

I am now convinced you are an agent of BL/ind because I was SERIOUSLY HYPNOTIZED by all the rainbow colors...

*draws raygun*

Mwahaha, foiled again! (draw WHITE raygun, dun dun dunnnn!)

whoa, you are way too smart with all of those radial differences and shit.

:D mad skillz there.

i go to school in zone 29 and am from zone 26. wh00t.

it would be cool if you could determine a few important cities that would be "battery cities" and make zones from them.

i just googled "most important cities in the world" (lol) and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

idk what to do after that :P

OAO Dude, thank you so much for showing me this!! I'm gonna put all the alpha cities as Battery Citys into the next series of maps, no joke, this'll be so friggin awesome!! (...Can you TELL I'm from the West Coast? XD)

And anyway, it'd make sense if the leaders of the world had to determine all the important cities, they'd just pick all the alphas, right? Right. Totally legitimate. >3

(^ just figured out the multiquote button XD)

its freaking awesome that you did this!<3 thanks for it! im zone 29:]

This is pretty amazing. I wanted to know what zone I was in.Apparently I live in Zone 4, but go to school in motherfucking battery city.Thank you so much for making this!

Wow, you have some serious patience. That's so cool! I'm in zone 33 :D

Great Job! I apparently live in zone 28. haha

(grins, salutes) Glad to hear from you, killjoys, and thanks!

That's so awesome, I'm from zone 34. Not too far away from you xD And yes, I thought about that too, but I think it's about the countries and how many killjoys are there. :/ Cause if there are not to many, I don't think there is anyone chasing them. Or even know about their existence xD Except other killjoys of course.

Frig, I know! I wish I could justify these maps better, there's just so many unanswered questions. The nerd in me is craaaaviiiing data.

Though, it would make more sense if the area around zone 6 really were just dead space, if we're going off the assumption that some sort of environmental holocaust wiped out all of the planet except for those major cities. I personally think it'd be more fun if everyone lived in an actual zone though, but it's not like the zones are ideal just because I want em to be. ...Totally having a nerdy moment. Ignore me.

That's an idea, though. If anyone has other hypotheticals they'd like to share, I'd love to make maps according to them. The ones I posted are just based off my own assumptions, anyway, right? ^_^