What Not To Wear

RadarAnomaly

I originally constructed this thread as a way to gather advice for my first concert. Over two years and 8 gigs later, I can verify that this list is indeed a great resource for those about to embark on their first concert journey, or those wanting to up the quality of their show experience.

What NOT to Wear:

• Big purses
  • High heels
  • Baggy pants
  • Anything with sentimental value
  • Heavy jackets or sweaters
  • Flip-flops
  • Hairdos that get in other peoples' faces
  • Flimsy shoes
  • Clothes that can be easily torn off
  • Strapless dresses
  • Sombreros
  • Huge cameras
  • Teased hair
  • Strong perfume
  • Weapons (real or fake)
  • Chains
  • Too many layers of clothes
  • Spiked accessories
  • Scarves
  • Suspenders
  • Loosely-laced shoes
  • Leather jackets
  • Hair extensions
  • V-necked t-shirts
  • Heavy clothing
  • Large earrings
  • Hats
  • Tunnels
  • Bikini tops instead of shirts

What TO Wear

• Fanny packs or tiny messenger bags
  • Deodorant
  • Plain belts
  • French braids
  • Drawstring backpacks
  • Hair elastics on your wrist
  • Bandannas on your wrist
  • Sturdy bra
  • Boots/sturdy footwear
  • Satchels/shoulder bags/messenger bags
  • Shorts under a skirt or dress
  • Plugs (instead of tunnels)
  • Clothes that fit and will stay on
  • Sunblock (even if it's only for standing in line)
  • Earplugs
  • Extra socks to stash in your car or bag

Please add your input to the list via comment below!

Don't wear anything that's really special to you like jewellery or good clothing. It'll also probably get really hot and sweaty by the time MCR starts (it gets hotter during, and you will more than likely have other people's sweat on you) so you may want to wear a tshirt or tank top, not a heavy jacket or sweater . Other than that, wear what you like!

Flip flops!! That goes for any show, ever, not just MCR shows.

I remember being at Reading years ago and it was one of those 'battle of the fans' moments when one group are heading for one stage and the other are heading for another (I think it was Travis on the main stage and Ash in one of the tents this time!), anyway back to the point, loads of people going opposite directions and some girl just stopped dead and was like "Oh my god! Everyone stop, I've lost my flip flop!" Needless to say most people just laughed at her and kept going.

So yea, point of my rambling, wear shoes that'll stay on your feet and won't get your toes crushed!

Try not to wear jewelry that can be tugged and pulled on...because that can hurt.

Also, if you're going to put your hair up, do NOT put it into a high ponytail. I've been smacked in the face by ponytails far too many times and nobody likes that. I'd recommend putting it to the side or even doing pigtails or something, because sometimes low ponytails can get tugged on and your neck will feel like it's breaking.

And these have already been said but I agree that you shouldn't bring purses, important items, jackets or open-toed shoes/slip ons.

Anything else is perfect.

And you shouldn't care how you look. For concerts, practicality is much more important than looking good...no one cares what you look like and everyone else will probably look like crap too, so just have fun. (:

Don't wear anything that's really special to you like jewellery or good clothing. It'll also probably get really hot and sweaty by the time MCR starts (it gets hotter during, and you will more than likely have other people's sweat on you) so you may want to wear a tshirt or tank top, not a heavy jacket or sweater . Other than that, wear what you like!

Going naked is always great.

Obviously you shouldn't wear heels to any concert, but I'd also say don't wear soft shoes like tennis shoes. I was in boots for my last MCR show and while I knew people were stepping on my feet a lot, I couldn't feel it. However, my friend who wore converse came out with a broken toe. Tightly laced boots are the way to go. Also, clothes with lots of (zippable) pockets are a must. Carrying a bag is cumbersome and you might lose it. Heavy makeup and elaborate hairstyles disappear only a few songs into the first set, so you might as well not even bother with those.

for the ladies: don't wear anything that can be pulled to expose undergarments that you would rather leave for your boyfriend/girlfriend. facebook devours pictures of girls who went into the pit with their super cute super loose crop top tank top thing and came out with a scrap of fabric and a bra that made so much sense when you bought it, but not really at the current moment when everybody else can see it as well.

oh and, yes, i am going to emphasize shoes just like everybody else. my friend went to coachella. barefoot. he now has a cast and a cane.

I went to an MCR concert in a strapless dress. Thank whatever higher power is out there that I was wearing a tank top under it, because that thing turned into a skirt within 30 seconds. I also got my favorite necklace ripped off my neck in the pit. I was super bummed!!

I was smart about my footwear, though. I wore boots. Got my toes stepped on constantly, didn't feel a thing.

Wear a belt... i thought my jeans were the right size, but after jumping around a little it turned into a problem,

My friend also had the same problem, she wandered around flashing her ass, XD

so a good strong belt,

Dunno...

A bag that is easy to hold,

my sister had a bum bag or "fanny pack" as they call them in US of A

Nothing thats tight fitting or anything that your boobs may fall out of, practise put what you gonna wear on and jump about?

Have a really good time though! =D

chances are once you're in you wont notice that all your clothes have been shredded till its over.

DO WEAR: Deodorant. I'm sure almost everyone here has hit puberty. You sweat and it has a smell, even if you cant smell it, I probably can. This goes for woman just as much as men. Body Spray is not deodorant. It's motherfucking body spray. It smells nice for an hour after you leave your house and then disappears. Use solid deodorant what wont quit, that shit that says "Strong enough for a man, made for a woman." Cause urgh some of you need it. I don't know how many times people have to stress that point. For example.

YOU KNOW THAT PHOTO YOU WERE ABLE TO TAKE WITH THE BAND? LOOK AT THEIR FACES, IF THEIR FACES ARE AWKWARD AS FUCK, THEN GUESS WHAT. YOU PROBABLY SMELLED REALLY BAD.

Take a shower before the show. And then again afterwards. No one wants your greasy hair in their face.

Don't wear: Shorts. Some people wear boots, a boot to a bare leg really tuggs the skin.

Be aware of whats in your pocket, one one is gonna move because you dropped your phone or wallet.

Shoes are one of the most important things to keep in mind. Last Friday my boyfriend and I went to see MCR in New York City @ Terminal 5. There were no seats, so everyone was basically on top of each other. There was this one girl in front of us who was jumping up and down through half the songs and kept stomping on my feet! Luckily I wasn't wearing sandals or flipflops or ballet flats or anything like that. It's smartest to wear comfortable but sturdy sneakers. Converse are comfortable for a while, but they don't have much support, so you're feet will hurt if you're at a show in a standing venue!

So, my BFF Kayla [Kaylala, AKA Twisted Fistfight] and I are going to the MCR LA show at the Hollywood Palladium on the 28th, and we thought that a list of clothes no one should ever wear to a concert would help everyone.

:) We have so far:

--High heels

--Big purses

--Really baggy pants

Please add!

And it's probably best if they don't bring like extra close at times (depends where it's at) in there hands because they might get tired with it or someone might yank it out of there hands

And just to let you know; I, too, am going to the Palladium on the 28th. x)

for the ladies: don't wear anything that can be pulled to expose undergarments that you would rather leave for your boyfriend/girlfriend. facebook devours pictures of girls who went into the pit with their super cute super loose crop top tank top thing and came out with a scrap of fabric and a bra that made so much sense when you bought it, but not really at the current moment when everybody else can see it as well.

oh and, yes, i am going to emphasize shoes just like everybody else. my friend went to coachella. barefoot. he now has a cast and a cane.

He went to Coachella with bare feet?! Did he attend every day/camp out? That's pretty intense.

DO WEAR: Deodorant. I'm sure almost everyone here has hit puberty. You sweat and it has a smell, even if you cant smell it, I probably can. This goes for woman just as much as men. Body Spray is not deodorant. It's motherfucking body spray. It smells nice for an hour after you leave your house and then disappears. Use solid deodorant what wont quit, that shit that says "Strong enough for a man, made for a woman." Cause urgh some of you need it. I don't know how many times people have to stress that point. For example.

YOU KNOW THAT PHOTO YOU WERE ABLE TO TAKE WITH THE BAND? LOOK AT THEIR FACES, IF THEIR FACES ARE AWKWARD AS FUCK, THEN GUESS WHAT. YOU PROBABLY SMELLED REALLY BAD.

Take a shower before the show. And then again afterwards. No one wants your greasy hair in their face.

Don't wear: Shorts. Some people wear boots, a boot to a bare leg really tuggs the skin.

Be aware of whats in your pocket, one one is gonna move because you dropped your phone or wallet.

THIS! I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING. Excellent advice.

if you're going to bring your phone, wear a jacket with zipped pockets. because it will probably fall out of your jeans or hoodie.

or don't bring your phone if you don't need it.

my tried-and-true uniform is:

a t-shirt

a skirt with leggings, because jeans make me too hot (i'm also against wearing leggings as pants.) my skirt will probably go everywhere in the pit, so leggings cover my undies.

converses, though i probably will invest in boots next time.

and then, like i said, a jacket with zipped pockets. actually, i usually leave my phone&wallet in that and check it. but i don't know if other people are that trusting (my phone is crap, and my wallet usually just has twenty bucks for a shirt and my metrocard, so i wouldn't be in trouble if they were stolen. i also keep some cash in my sock...so i can buy a metrocard if mine is stolen :P)

oh, also: don't bring your big "professional" camera if you don't have a photopass.

i kind of also want to say, don't wear a leather jacket, because they get really hot for everyone around you. once i was trapped between two guys wearing them and it was hell.

i've also had a few experiences standing behind girls with really frizzy hair. it gets all up in your face and in your mouth... not fun. i can't say "don't wear your hair," but if you could pull it back, that would be great? lol sorry.

Dude, everyone sweats at a concert, regardless of people wearing deoderant or not. Once you get jumping up and down it won't make any difference at all.

My advice: if you have long hair definitely tie your hair up. I made the stupid decision to wear it down for a Paramore show and it got caught in EVERYTHING and I kept getting my head pulled back by the people behind me pulling it (not on purpose). I swear I left that show with a few bald patches :lol:

Don't wear any type of jeans, Converse, Vans, combat boots, or band t-shirts.

Do wear dresses, crop-tops, skirts, wedges, necklaces, and any piece of clothing you value.

Can I add deodorant and showering to the "don't" list?

My advice: if you have long hair definitely tie your hair up. I made the stupid decision to wear it down for a Paramore show and it got caught in EVERYTHING and I kept getting my head pulled back by the people behind me pulling it (not on purpose). I swear I left that show with a few bald patches :lol:

yeah, it's always really awful when you're jamming out to a song, and then your head gets pulled back because somebody caught your hair when they slammed against you.

though usually i jump so much that my hair falls out of the ponytail, but yeah.

Archived