No Pass The Line At The House Of Blues Shows

MCRmyDallas

I want to make sure everyone who is attending a MCR show at a House of Blues knows that Pass The Line will not be avail. If you purchased a VIP Party Pass when you bought your tickets, early will be offered, but reg PTL will not. This came down straight from My Chemical Romance to the big guys at HOB headquarters. The email was sent asfter the Cleveland show last week. MCR wants to keep it old school, so the kids who get to the venue first are the ones in first.

How do I know this info, you ask. I'm a supervisor at HOB Dallas.

I got the same info too, straight from the MCR team.

Pass-the-line was still in place for the Cleveland show I went to (which you mentioned), and we were talking there about how unfair it is and they told us then that they were working to squash it because it just doesn't work right for bands with fanbases like MCR's. They didn't know HOB had that policy before the tour.

I'm glad it went through. Pass-the-line is such a rip-off.

This came down straight from My Chemical Romance to the big guys at HOB headquarters. The email was sent asfter the Cleveland show last week. MCR wants to keep it old school, so the kids who get to the venue first are the ones in first.

Wait I'm sorry, this is at every HOB show?! Please say yes. =D And I have a question, this "VIP Party Pass" wasn't offered at every show was it?

Wait I'm sorry, this is at every HOB show?! Please say yes. =D And I have a question, this "VIP Party Pass" wasn't offered at every show was it?

From what I was told, I gathered that it should be. It's a tour mandate. So, that should mean all HOB venues MCR plays on this tour will not have skip-the-line from now on. But, it wont apply outside MCR's tour.

As far as the VIP Party Pass thing-- I dunno. I know there were things offered on Livenation along with tickets.

Hopefully the original poster knows more about that. :]

While I agree that PTL isn't fair to people who camp out and wait outside and don't want to purchase the pass day of, it's also not fair that the people who purchased PTL passes with their tickets still get in early. 200 people have VIP for the Dallas show, which means if I get there the night before the show, I still won't get a good spot because those 200 people get in before me no matter what time they show up. If they are going to squash PTL they should refund those passes that were already sold. That is the only way to make it fair for everyone. But that's just my opinion. :P

I called HOB Orlando (I'm going to the show on may 18th) to ask about it... They said they were doing it for the show, and I already made reservations for the restaurant so I can do it... I'm going with my dad and he won't wait in line for a long time, so that's why I'm doing it. Should I call again and tell them about this, and double check??

I called HOB Orlando (I'm going to the show on may 18th) to ask about it... They said they were doing it for the show, and I already made reservations for the restaurant so I can do it... I'm going with my dad and he won't wait in line for a long time, so that's why I'm doing it. Should I call again and tell them about this, and double check??

I would keep calling them. I don't know why they would be an exception... Well, other than the fact that the venue is in straight-up Disney territory.

Someone called HOB in Orlando a few days before the Cleveland show and someone told the person who called that Skip The Line isn't being sold in Orlando, so.. there's miscommunication somewhere. I'd call again, and mention that the band's management requested it to stop.

I'm glad this is gone for these shows, to be honest. It doesn't affect me, but it doesn't work for kids who don't have the extra money to buy stuff to get the pass and camp all night. At least MCR knows they need to stop it next tour, or don't book shows at HOB locations.

I hate to see kids that have been there all night get skipped by people who just showed up. Seriously, that's crap. I'm not saying that either group deserves spots, but I am saying that if you put the effort to stay outside of a venue all night and all day... no one should be fucking skipping you cause you couldn't afford 15 dollars of bullshit.

Haha, at least now I don't have to go get drunk before the show, if they even count alcohol as part of the transaction for the pass. I know food counts. xD

I mean, anyone can get pass-the-line, so the entire line for shows like MCR's usually ends up doing it, so no one tends to get skipped. Those camping can just go to the giftshop/restaurant and buy something to get it that way their efforts are not in vain.

$15 is a lot for most people, though. :/ I know I don't have $15 to spare after tickets and travel for shows.

Dont bag on HOB. They are a business out to make money just like everyone else, plus the venues dont make as much as you might think. And I dont think PTL is unfair. I understand not having the extra cash, but if you bought your tix 4-6 months prior to the show you have that long to save $15 to make sure you are gonna be close to your fav band. I guess the question to ask yourself is: if the MCR show was a resv seat show, would you pay more to sit closer...like at an amphitheatre with lawn seats? I know that I have shelled out a shit load of money to have seats close to the stage...and I dont buy from scalpers. I'm talking face-value. Just saying.

I like the NO PTL for MCR because I do believe that the true fans (MCRmy) should be closest to the stage to show the true love. I have voiced my thoughts about the VIP getting to redeem their early entry, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Dont bag on HOB. They are a business out to make money just like everyone else, plus the venues dont make as much as you might think. And I dont think PTL is unfair. I understand not having the extra cash, but if you bought your tix 4-6 months prior to the show you have that long to save $15 to make sure you are gonna be close to your fav band. I guess the question to ask yourself is: if the MCR show was a resv seat show, would you pay more to sit closer...like at an amphitheatre with lawn seats? I know that I have shelled out a shit load of money to have seats close to the stage...and I dont buy from scalpers. I'm talking face-value. Just saying.

I like the NO PTL for MCR because I do believe that the true fans (MCRmy) should be closest to the stage to show the true love. I have voiced my thoughts about the VIP getting to redeem their early entry, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I think people have the right to bag on HOB or any other venue that holds these sorts of practices. At The Pagaent in St. Louis, anyone under 21 has to buy something from their food stand to get one of the limited wrist bands. Other venues just allow people 21+ to get in early if they are in the bar area prior to doors. For me, personally, I quite like the 21+ bar people getting in early because I would do that so I wouldn't have to camp out. However, it's still not fair to the kids that camp out overnight who aren't even 21 that can't even take advantage of that perk. At the Kansas City show, there were kids that camped out overnight and then the venue let all the 21+ people in the bar in first, so all of them took over barrier. I think only 5 of the kids who'd be there since very early actually got barrier at that show.

How is it fair, if EVERYONE can buy PTL???? Pretty soon, like Cassie said, people will pay an extra 15 to PTL AND get there early. Everyone will buy PTL so they don't get stuck in the very back and get the place they deserved from camping out. If basically everyone is paying that 15 bucks, then it CANCELS OUT -ANY PERKS- and is just the venue being super greedy. It's basically kids paying a $15 insurance that since they got there early, they'll still be at the front of the line. Even then, I've heard of venues messing it up and letting regular lines in first! How fair is that? It would be more fair if PTL was limited to the first 100-200 people. Even then, many people cannot afford an extra 15 bucks for this "perk". Many kids are 14/15/16 trying to save up the little amount of money they earn from chores/babysitting to even afford a ticket to go and see the band. This $15 is more than just money-it's what it represents. It represents putting people in classes for a show that DOES NOT HAVE ASSIGNED SEATING. "Oh look at all the poor kids in the back, they couldn't afford to get in early." When it's just a General Admission show, it's really a super shitty thing to try and classify people based on their wealth. General admission to me is just that: You get the same thing as everyone else...the same right to the barricade, the same right to the back...

If it WERE an assigned seat show, WHICH IT'S NOT, then yes, it can classify people. But that's the nature of that certain beast. General admission, however, is more equal opportunity and shouldn't be made into a war of the classes, of the haves and have nots. And yes, 15 bucks CAN be enough to put people into classes.

So.....I'm glad it's gone. I know if someday I have to arrive at a show an hour before doors, then that's the kind of spot I'll get. If I arrive the night before and sleep in a tent, I am expecting at least a spot near the front instead of dead in the back.

I'm traveling, spending well over 600 dollars after transportation, food, hotel, tickets and not to mention the trip. I won't be able to camp out, and I probably won't be able to line up early because of time and logistical restraints. I was hoping this would be available because of course, I would like to not be in the back, but I wouldn't say that because of circumstance, I'm less or more entitled or deserving of a "good spot" than someone who waited or paid for it. Waiting/camping out are individuals choices and also a personal advantage to even be able to do it over people who are not able, just like "paying" to enter the venue early. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Once you get in there, who's to say that no matter when you go there where you'll end up anyway. If people want to risk spending money on a "better" spot they aren't guaranteed, that's their choice and it's a risk just like waiting in line for a long time for a spot you aren't guaranteed or more deserving of than anyone else in the room just because you were able to get there early.

I do agree though, that if it's something available to everyone, it's pointless. I've never been to a HOB and I was naive in my hope that maybe not as many people took advantage of this "perk" as it seems they do. Oh well.

Waiting/camping out are individuals choices and also a personal advantage to even be able to do it over people who are not able, just like "paying" to enter the venue early. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Once you get in there, who's to say that no matter when you go there where you'll end up anyway. If people want to risk spending money on a "better" spot they aren't guaranteed, that's their choice and it's a risk just like waiting in line for a long time for a spot you aren't guaranteed or more deserving of than anyone else in the room just because you were able to get there early.

I agree. I'm older and have more responsibilities, like finding a baby sitter for my kid just to go to a show. I personally can't afford a sitter for 24 hours or whatever to camp out all night for a show. For someone like me, a line pass or early entry at the bar at the Pageant is the only way I have the chance to be near the front. Everyone has their advantages and disadvantages.

I completely agree with circumstances. It's great that some people can afford to spend hours and hours in line, but many others have obligations and constraints which prevent them from doing this. That doesn't make them less of a fan, or less deserving of a "good spot" inside the venue. That's why I find things like "pass the line" as kind of nice for those who know about them. I can see being annoyed if you have spent the entire day waiting in line, but that's a chance you need to be willing to take.

I do understand how it works for some people in many circumstances. The thing that bugs me is that they have an unlimited amount of passes available. So in essence, EVERYONE could pay to get in the "pass the line" line, which is really passing no one, but making everyone be fools for paying 15 bucks to wait in line. If they do it, they should make it limited. People who couldn't get there until late could still get PTL if they had the right contacts and had someone already in line get them a PTL pass. Just the whole unlimited aspect bugs me the most.

As many people have said, PTL, 21+ bar entry, etc can really be advantageous to certain people or for different circumstances in your life. I still would feel a bit guilty if I went through the bar and I personally knew the kids camping out who got there hours before me and I got barricade and they didn't. :/

Orlando's HOB is god awful at the line organization. I've been to plenty concerts there to be able to say this. Neither line is marked. Just two masses of people at different parts of the venue, plus you have the food line and that's in the middle of things too. If they had signs or marked what was what, it would be hell of a lot easier. But they don't.

so yeah, I can bag.

What I was trying to say is: People wont get skipped who really don't want to. Those who make an effort to line up early will probably make an effort, also, to buy $15 worth of stuff to make sure they don't. The number of people who line up early for MCR tends to get in the 100+ range by noon, and I would venture to guess that they would all learn about the policy fast and all get their pass-the-line on.

So, really, the idea behind pass-the-line (actually getting early admission) doesn't work for bands with fans like MCR's, because the pass-the-line line becomes the actual line.

I've seen Alkaline Trio at HOB in the past in Orlando several times. Then, the line-line was all pass-the-line, because those of us who gave enough of a damn to show up early, also were willing to sacrifice for pass-the-line.

It's not a matter of paying for privilege in that case-- it's more like "line insurance." Haha! And that it's a bummer that it becomes a necessity.

Archived