The Mars Volta Thread

digimodify

OFFICIAL MARS VOLTA

AT THE DRIVE-IN

OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ

EL GRUPO NUEVO DE OMAR RODRIGUEZ-LOPEZ LOVE THREAD

The+Mars+Volta+probably+the+cutest+photo+ever.jpg

(Because seriously, how do you not love these two?)

I'm the most familiar with the Mars Volta since that band owns my heart in a number of different ways. "De-Loused in the Comatorium," their first full-length album, is my number one favorite album of all time. It's flawless. Their other releases have been especially amazing in their own right, "Frances the Mute" and "Amputechture" in particular, but their first album is still brilliant.

Here's some info on the Mars Volta from Last.FM:

The Mars Volta is an American rock group formed in 2001 by guitarist Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez and vocalist Cedric Bixler Zavala. They incorporate various influences including post-hardcore, jazz fusion, psychedelia, funk and latin/salsa into their sound. They are characterized for their energetic and improvisational live shows, as well as their concept-based studio albums.

At+the+DriveIn+ATDI.jpg

Omar and Cedric were also involved in a little project otherwise known as At the Drive-In, which I am not as versed in. I'm sure you cool dudes can fill in the slack for me. Here's some info on the now-defunct At the Drive-In, courtesy of Last.FM:

At the Drive-In were a post-hardcore band, from El Paso, TX, USA. They formed in 1993 & disbanded in 2001. Influenced primarily by the likes of Fugazi & Drive Like Jehu, as well as the Texan hardcore scene. At the Drive-In crafted epic, eclectic songs, laced with cryptic & strongly metaphorical lyrics. Founded by Jim Ward (guitars) & Cedric Bixler Zavala (vocals - at the time a member of punk band, foss, in which he played drums).

Omar has branched out into two groups: the Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Group and El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez (which includes Cedric).

So yeah. Post songs and shit.

ATDI was AMAZING.

^^First song I ever heard by them. Also amazing.

ATDI is pretty good. The only album I have by them is "Relationship of Command," which periodically becomes my jam. Some of the songs remind me of Coheed and Cambria, which is confusing and weird.

"Inertiatic" was also the first song I heard by them! TWINSSS.

Have you ever played Goliath the Soothsayer? It's this horror flash game that they released to promote Bedlam.

I do know what you mean about the Coheed thing, though.
ATDI also reminds me of a lot of my favourite music; Fugazi and Sunny Day Real Estate mainly.

Archived