Shutter Island

dropthedaggerromeo.

I loved it. Got it on dvd and watched it twice in two days. I figured it out half way through though but I think that's just because I watch a lot of things like it so i'm used to spotting the signs. Still, it was amazingly well thought out. I think he knew what he was doing at the end. When he said 'this places makes me wonder whether it is better to live as a monster or die as a good man' I think he meant he could live out his life knowing what's happened or he could have the lobotomy and be a 'good man'. And when the Doc calls him 'Teddie' he doesn't respond cos he's still Andrew. If he wanted to escape reality so much that he'd create a world to live in and he didn't have that anymore, I think he'd be willing to have his brain messed with.

I think he knew what he was doing at the end. When he said 'this places makes me wonder whether it is better to live as a monster or die as a good man' I think he meant he could live out his life knowing what's happened or he could have the lobotomy and be a 'good man'. And when the Doc calls him 'Teddie' he doesn't respond cos he's still Andrew. If he wanted to escape reality so much that he'd create a world to live in and he didn't have that anymore, I think he'd be willing to have his brain messed with.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I thought too. The Doctor called him Teddy at the end to test whether he'd relapsed again, because if he'd relapsed he'd have to have the lobotomy. He knew full well that the guards were observing him. I agree that he wanted the lobotomy rather than having to live with the guilt of knowing he murdered his wife.

I also noticed some symbolism within the movie. Whenever there's fire, it's showing his insanity (the fire in the cave with the real Rachel, when he lights a match in Ward C, when he blows the car up). Whenever there's water, it's showing the reality (near the lighthouse, during the hurricane when Chuck talks to him in the mausoleum) - his children drowned in a lake remember?

I also noticed some symbolism within the movie. Whenever there's fire, it's showing his insanity (the fire in the cave with the real Rachel, when he lights a match in Ward C, when he blows the car up). Whenever there's water, it's showing the reality (near the lighthouse, during the hurricane when Chuck talks to him in the mausoleum) - his children drowned in a lake remember?

Oh my god I never realised that! You're a bloody genius!!

I AM SO OBSESSED WITH SHUTTER ISLAND Bahhhhhhh

The first time I watched it, I was pretty sure that it was a set up against Teddy Daniels,

But the second time I watched it, I noticed all the visual parallels

they drew between Daniels and Laeddis

And now I'm convinced that Daniels/Laeddis actually is crazy.

That line he has at the end, "Would you rather live as a monster or die as a good man," that pretty much encapsulates

his reasons for getting the lobotomy. He can't live and deal with his reality.

Oh gawd I love it so much. LEO ♥♥♥♥♥♥

I AM SO OBSESSED WITH SHUTTER ISLAND Bahhhhhhh

The first time I watched it, I was pretty sure that it was a set up against Teddy Daniels,

But the second time I watched it, I noticed all the visual parallels

they drew between Daniels and Laeddis

And now I'm convinced that Daniels/Laeddis actually is crazy.

That line he has at the end, "Would you rather live as a monster or die as a good man," that pretty much encapsulates

his reasons for getting the lobotomy. He can't live and deal with his reality.

Oh gawd I love it so much. LEO ♥♥♥♥♥♥

Yeah, I was the same. It wasn't that I didn't believe that Teddy was crazy, it was that I didn't want to believe that Teddy was crazy. I felt like it spoilt the story. However, the second time I watched it I realised what the producers/directors of the film had done. I think it's so clever :D

Archived