Traveling Advice (columbia, Mo To Des Moines, Ia)

ADDNinja

I have tickets to the Des Moines concert tomorrow and I need to drive there in the morning. However there's apparently going to be a huge storm coming through today and tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had

1. Good information on exactly when/where the storm would hit

2. How I could avoid the storm (I'm driving up from Columbia, MO)and

3. When a good time to leave would be?

The main driver for the trip is busy all day today doing stuff for school and I don't know when she's getting out. Our original plan was to leave tomorrow at 9:30. Any help would be very much appreciated.

My roommate and I have the same issue, except we're driving down four hours from the north. According to weather.com, at the moment, it looks like the storms are supposed to start in Des Moines around 12 and end around 5:30-ish. That's obviously likely to change, but the only way I can see you being able to avoid driving in the storms is if you leave early enough to get to Des Moines before the storms start, and then bum around in the city all day. Though I don't know what weather south of Des Moines looks like, so that might not be fool-proof either. The only other suggestion I'd have is leaving an hour or so earlier than it's supposed to take you, so you have a buffer to drive slow and stop if necessary. That's what I plan on doing, at least.

Hope that helps a little.

I'll be coming up there tomorrow from the KC area...I'm not sure what we're doing about the weather, but we were planning on leaving at 10 AM. I know for when we get there, I've got a poncho and some trash bags (to sit on or use for a makeshift poncho). I would bring some things like that for the queue.

I don't know what to tell you for driving directions, but give yourself more time than necessary. Stop driving if you're scared. I'm sure you'll make it before the show. :)

Archived