Rayguns At The Shows = Arrested!

TheLadyOfTheHour

Keep Your Ray Guns At Home!

I was certainly planning to bring mine to the May 11th show at the Tabernacle in Atlanta, Georgia, until I spoke with the General Manager of the venue. I sent him an email asking about their policies on camping out for the show, about what bags were allowed, and if ray guns would be permitted. Here was his reply:

Morgan

You can wait outside the building as it is a public sidewalk. I can not speak for the Atlanta Police and their take on it but usually they are not confrontational if you are not either. Please be safe as I would not condone waiting or camping outside in downtown Atlanta.

Women's handbags and in less frequent situations medical kits are allowed in but the line you quote and its purpose is not to allow other bags in but that we have the right to search before you enter the venue. Please do not bring your messenger bag as we will not allow it inside.

So I am clear on the ray gun, do not bring it. We do not allow real or replicas of any weapons inside. There is GA legislation that is currently in place that is quite the trap if we allow any weapons in the building. Do not bring it.

Obviously, this may not be the case everywhere. I recommend looking your venue up online and checking the FAQ's first and foremost. These usually answer most questions you will have. If you don't find an answer there, search the venue's website for contact information of someone you can send your inquiries to.

Just talked to the Fillmore in Denver. Rayguns = NO! they yelled at me ;( said it would be a bad idea and I'd be leaving in cuffs.

DO NOT BRING YOUR RAYGUNS! Or, Leave them in the car

Thank you so much for checking up on that!! My friends and I were planning on bringing some. THANK YOU!!

Were you guys wanting to bring your special edition replicas, or ones you made?

I'm really not trying to sound bitchy, so I'm sorry if it sounds like it, but , other than the fact they look cool with an outfit, why would you want to bring them? There's the chance that it could get dropped and break, or get stolen, and that's the coolest part of the 80 something dollars just gone.

I can't say I'm shocked a toy gun wasn't allowed in. That's more of common sense, really.

and

You guys should probably ask about masks and any other props you planned to bring, because I don't think they will be allowed either at some venues.

basically.

At the least they'd probably make you take them off until you got inside.

If the venue has a problem with them, they will not let you take it inside at all. It's a safety issue more than just looking violent.

Call your venues to ask -- And even then, be prepared for the possibility of them changing their minds the day of the show even if the person you spoke to told you it was okay. Unless your car is nearby so you can drop your stuff off before going in, I wouldn't risk bringing any costume piece that isn't a normal item of clothing, especially if it's homemade and/or meaningful to you.

For the venues we staff, we pretty much ask that people not wear masks when coming inside, once you're in there it's not really an issue to us. However if you're doing extensive face painting or won't take the mask off you won't be served alcohol at our venues and is most likely a policy at others.

I would still check with the specific venue though. And as said above, rules change at the last minute quite often.

Yes, I realize that this is basically commonsense. However, that is unfortunately lacking in society these days so I thought I'd spell it out for people either way. As for the potential hazards of bringing it with you, such as breaking or losing it, this also should be commonsense. I think it would be a bad idea, however I know many people were planning to bring their limited edition ray guns anyways rather than hand-made replicas, so I still felt as if the issue needed to be addressed. :)

I would encourage EVERYONE to check their venues general policies. Many have limits on cameras as well, not that you'll leave in cuffs but, there was one concert I went to where this girl brought her fancy faux-SLR camera and they wouldn't let her bring it in and they wouldn't hold it for her, my mom ended up having to mail it to her because she was going to lose it otherwise.

please note a lot of venues also don't allow chains, spikes, etc.

This. I wore red leather fingerless gloves with studs on as part of my killjoy outfit to all the gigs I went to. The second gig, we turned up after the support acts, and as we went in, one of the security stopped me and told me not to go starting any fights or I'd be in trouble. Of course I'd never start a fight, but I'm pretty sure if I'd turned up when the doors opened and had to go through proper security, they'd have confiscated them. I hid them for the rest of the gigs :P

Archived