Elitists

EmilyAllman

I got a tip from a source I won't name that some of the MCRmy are elitists.

First of all, I had no idea what an elitist was until this person told me.

I've never come across any until they had told me what it was. I can see

how some of us could be with how we're handling the Mtv March Madness.

A lot of people are saying how we're "much better than Parawhores" and such.

I don't like Paramore, but that doesn't give me or anyone else the right

to be disrespectful to them. It also doesn't give anyone the right to choose

who's better.

So what do you think? Are there some elitists in the MCRmy?

**Note: I know this is a debating topic so please keep your debates civilized and respectful.

Opinions are welcomed, bashing opinions are not. If you are disrespectful or bash someone, I

will not hesitate to report you.

I think as a whole, the MCRmy isn't elitist. There may be a few, but I tend to notice these feelings more in non-MCRmy settings.

In regards to the MTV March Madness and Paramore, I think most of it is just in regards to the "Parawhores" actions, rudeness, and their own elitism. I don't like Paramore and so I may be biased towards a positive MCRmy answer, but I think the fact that they call themselves "Parawhores" says something about them. Essentially, it should be about the bands we like and if a fanbase is being elitist, it is a poor reflection on the band. I don't know what MCR thinks so I can't say anything for them, but if I was one of them, I wouldn't want any fan thinking they're better than anyone else.

I think some people have misinterpreted what an 'elitist' is.

An elitist is somebody who thinks they are better than somebody else because they have been a fan of the band longer (e.g. "I've known about MCR since Bullets and you only started listening to them yesterday, therefore I'm better than you"). Which is clearly not true.

In general, MCR have a lot less elitist fans than other bands, but there are still the odd one or two. I haven't come across any on this website though.

As for the March Madness thing, nobody on here is being elitist... there are a few people being WXY OTT on the MTV website though :\

Im kinda new but from what Ive seen so far MCR fans really are something different (its not the band just saying that ;) ) I used to be active on the muse forum and on the certain parts of the forum (not the band mind) there was such an elitist culture... basically it took the fangirl hating to another level enitrelly where it became cool to hate muse unless it was from the first 2 albums...on the official forum :blink: it was pretty ridiculous.

Ive been so pleasantly surprised at how good MCR fans are to each other. Never change guys :lol:

I think some people have misinterpreted what an 'elitist' is.

An elitist is somebody who thinks they are better than somebody else because they have been a fan of the band longer (e.g. "I've known about MCR since Bullets and you only started listening to them yesterday, therefore I'm better than you"). Which is clearly not true.

In general, MCR have a lot less elitist fans than other bands, but there are still the odd one or two. I haven't come across any on this website though.

As for the March Madness thing, nobody on here is being elitist... there are a few people being WXY OTT on the MTV website though :\

There aren't a lot of elitists here but I've found a few on Twitter.

I agree with what you said about how fans that have been there since the start think they're better but we're all pretty equal.

Yes. I'm better than of you because my rhymes with Rain. suck it.

No. This always happens, when there is a street team. People get jealous but the kicker is that a lot of these things are free, you don't need to be invited to join most of them time and they are open to everyone. There is no need for this "oooh they are elitist"

If you like the music, the band and to meet new people, join. That's all there is to it.

I think there is a percentage of the MCRmy who like to act like elitists. Like, some of the abuse I've seen newbies get from old fans is ridiculous.

I fully understand being protective over your favourite band, heck, I do it myself, but elitism is just silly.

Sure, stick up for the band, but it's a bit stupid to think your a better fan than someone else just because you've been into the band longer.

It's funny, I watched an interview and (I think it was) Ray said the fans weren't elitists, and I was like 'Dude, do you know your fanbase?!' because I've came across people who thought they were the shit because they've seen the band a billion times. It doesn't make you a bigger fan, it just means you've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to see them, when a lot of people don't have that luxury.

I've seen a lot of elitism on twitter, so that's part of why I stay away from that site. I think that it's more of a sense of entitlement. A lot of MCR's fans got into the band because they were depressed and needed an outlet. So, there's an emotional attachment. A person might feel like another fan couldn't possibly love the band as much as them, because they feel a deep mutual understanding. But this is just my opinion based on what I've seen.

I try not to be elitist. I try to keep myself in check and think before I post a comment. I probably was a snotty little bitch when I was younger, but I'd like to think I've matured past judging other fans based on trite things such as "how long they've been a fan". :lol:

The online MCRmy has been against elitism since 2004, largely due to past board administrator Amber, and supported by Gerard's "leaving Eyeball Records" statement in which he said:

"If for one minute you think you're better than a sixteen year old girl in a Green Day t-shirt, you are sorely mistaken. Remember the first time you went to a show and saw your favorite band. You wore their shirt, and sang every word. You didn't know anything about scene politics, haircuts, or what was cool. All you knew was that this music made you feel different from anyone you shared a locker with. Someone finally understood you. This is what music is about."

However, there is still a LOT of elitism and entitlement at shows, often from people who brag about being associated the MCRmy, even if they have never played a part in the street team or community.

I've noticed that a few 'elitists' are not exactly elitists as much as they are just pissed off at fangirls who claim to be 'number one fans' and know nothing about the band. I've met two girls, they've seen MCR live, and they thought TBP was their first album. I tried to strike up a conversation about band members and they stared at me blankly, only recognising Gerard. I don't feel superior to these girls, exactly, I feel more...not even annoyed? A little irritated but not superior. But as fans who do 'know more' about the band I think we should try and idk, educate? new fans instead of alienating them.

I have seen the few fans who are rather overly protective of the band but I think this is because of how successful TBP was. I remember a fan going insane because this girl hadn't heard Helena before. I have also seen nothing but immaturity, from both sides, but I don't have any excuses for someone going up to a fan and saying that they're not a real fan because they haven't been there from the beginning. That really irritates me.

/2 cents

The only elitists in the MCRmy are the people who think that just because they've been a fan since Revenge or Bullets or whatever they're better than the newer fans. I don't think that thinking your favorite band is the best band in the world makes you an elitist

When I first started reading this thread I thought about the other definition for elitist: control by small group: government or control by a small, specially qualified, or privileged group

Then I thought maybe they think MCR should be in the government, they're a small group. Completely wrong, but it was kind of funny to think about.

Anywxy, I haven't come across any elitists, but this is, for the most part, the only board I go to. I don't use twitter, and I can't really go to shows.

I've known MCR for around seven years now and I do admit I get a little pissed when someone who only knows songs like Welcome To The Black Parade or Sing try to call themselves MCR's biggest fan, but I don't really think I'm elitist... When the little fangirls are all "OMG Gerald is sooo hawt!" I do my best to try to correct them nicely and show them their other music. Its hard not to get a little annoyed though since I've loved them for so long and I have a huge attatchment to them.

If any of that makes sense....

Also I get mad when people think they're better than me because I've never seen them live, and I used to have to get their songs off of a youtube converter because I couldnt afford to buy the CD's. Like when I get annoyed with fans I do my best to be pleasant about educating them on the joy of My Chem, but I've seen a good handful of really bitchy fans too.

I posted this in another thread earlier today, but I'll it's relevant here:

Here, all fans are - or should be - accepted. My Chemical Romance has always encouraged us to support one another; so, there is no need for us to set up walls about what defines a fan or create a sort of hierarchy to judge one another.

Everyone appreciates My Chemical Romance in their own, unique ways. For example, I love to archive information about MCR, help other fans and post news. Maybe you appreciate MCR by making fan art of some kind, or by going to many of their shows, or just plain watching that ONE MCR video that means the world to you over and over on youtube.

None of us are better than the others. We are united in that My Chemical Romance means enough to us for us to say proudly, "I am a My Chemical Romance fan." And it doesn't matter if you've been saying it for 10 years or 10 seconds.

We're in the shit, soldiers, and we're in it together.

We all start somewhere.

There was a point when you only knew a couple MCR songs. Don't judge people for that. Instead, be kind and extend a caring and helpful hand:

"Oh, you like 'Helena?' That's great! I bet you would really enjoy "Drowning Lessons," too!"

____

Here's the other half of my schpeel on it:

When I first started liking MCR, there was a TON of elitism I felt from fans who were older than I. I got a massive death glare from most of the older fans when I showed up, 15 and bright-eyed, to the Taste of Chaos tour in my Revenge shirt and hoodie.

There was this snobbery that was really intimidating; so, when I was younger, I sort of picked up on it as well (trust me, I have some old blog entries from when I was 14/15 that make me CRINGE). Elitism breeds elitism. However, I soon realized that MCR definitely doesn't want us to be separate, so why the hell should we?

As an older fan, instead of excluding and turning up my nose to people, I hope to work toward creating a welcoming environment where new fans don't have to feel the way I did. I felt very isolated from the MCR fan community when I first started liking them.

_____

Third part of my schpeel:

There's a sort of backward, assumption-based elitism that is just as snobby, but that people don't see as elitist.

The notion that there is elitism and that people assume others place higher value on their own level of "fan" because of their years of liking them/merch/concert-going, etc creates a sort of backward superiority.

So that, if someone has liked the band for a long time, they are automatically assumed a snob or elitist and kind of shunned in the reverse way.

If that makes sense... It's kind of hard to put into words because it is not really talked about.

_____

Bottom line: We're all fans. Let's be fucking nice to eachother. Unless, of course, someone really is just a flat-out asshole. In that case, 6 bucks and a Dr. Pepper, if you know what I'm sayin'.

I'd like your post, Poisonandfire, but I don't see the buttons for that :(

I know that I've felt like I can't really be all that much of a fan because I only started listening to MCR after the Black Parade, but that wasn't because other people had said I couldn't really be a true fan. It was just my thinking. These posts make me feel a lot better, though. :)

I'd like your post, Poisonandfire, but I don't see the buttons for that :(

I know that I've felt like I can't really be all that much of a fan because I only started listening to MCR after the Black Parade, but that wasn't because other people had said I couldn't really be a true fan. It was just my thinking. These posts make me feel a lot better, though. :)

Thank you. :]

I don't think you can rate mod posts. I don't really know. It doesn't show up the same for me as for you guys. xD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mod posts don't have the rate buttons, right?

I'm glad this thread is here... I have a few deep dark secrets that made me think I was a terrible fan! xD

Though I have to admit, I seem to be rather lucky. In all the time I've been active in the community, I have not run across any elitism. You guys have been the most accepting group of people I've ever met so far. :)

I posted this in another thread earlier today, but I'll it's relevant here:

Here, all fans are - or should be - accepted. My Chemical Romance has always encouraged us to support one another; so, there is no need for us to set up walls about what defines a fan or create a sort of hierarchy to judge one another.

Everyone appreciates My Chemical Romance in their own, unique ways. For example, I love to archive information about MCR, help other fans and post news. Maybe you appreciate MCR by making fan art of some kind, or by going to many of their shows, or just plain watching that ONE MCR video that means the world to you over and over on youtube.

None of us are better than the others. We are united in that My Chemical Romance means enough to us for us to say proudly, "I am a My Chemical Romance fan." And it doesn't matter if you've been saying it for 10 years or 10 seconds.

We're in the shit, soldiers, and we're in it together.

We all start somewhere.

There was a point when you only knew a couple MCR songs. Don't judge people for that. Instead, be kind and extend a caring and helpful hand:

"Oh, you like 'Helena?' That's great! I bet you would really enjoy "Drowning Lessons," too!"

____

Here's the other half of my schpeel on it:

When I first started liking MCR, there was a TON of elitism I felt from fans who were older than I. I got a massive death glare from most of the older fans when I showed up, 15 and bright-eyed, to the Taste of Chaos tour in my Revenge shirt and hoodie.

There was this snobbery that was really intimidating; so, when I was younger, I sort of picked up on it as well (trust me, I have some old blog entries from when I was 14/15 that make me CRINGE). Elitism breeds elitism. However, I soon realized that MCR definitely doesn't want us to be separate, so why the hell should we?

As an older fan, instead of excluding and turning up my nose to people, I hope to work toward creating a welcoming environment where new fans don't have to feel the way I did. I felt very isolated from the MCR fan community when I first started liking them.

_____

Third part of my schpeel:

There's a sort of backward, assumption-based elitism that is just as snobby, but that people don't see as elitist.

The notion that there is elitism and that people assume others place higher value on their own level of "fan" because of their years of liking them/merch/concert-going, etc creates a sort of backward superiority.

So that, if someone has liked the band for a long time, they are automatically assumed a snob or elitist and kind of shunned in the reverse way.

If that makes sense... It's kind of hard to put into words because it is not really talked about.

_____

Bottom line: We're all fans. Let's be fucking nice to eachother. Unless, of course, someone really is just a flat-out asshole. In that case, 6 bucks and a Dr. Pepper, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Since you're a mod, I can't hit a post rating button, so I'll just say it instead: +1

<3

Archived