Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ihidethetruth

How Did MCR Save You?

What made you fall in love with their lyrical genius and harmonistic rocking music?

How did they change who you were? Did they?

Before MCR, i fought all the time with myself about whether I'd become like my older sisters. (they aren't good role models at all) Now, I try my best to be true to myself, and I speak my mind. I only speak when I am spoken to, so my mind isn't always spoken. :) I like to keep to myself. and they help me with my depression a little bit. I will be over it soon. :)

I don't think they saved my life coz to be honest i've never really needed saving. I did go through the curtains constantly closed, long hair covering face, didn't care about friends, etc phase. But i got myself out of it by literally slapping myself and saying, 'Look girl, stop bemoaning the fact the boy you like is a popular jerk and you're too odd for him. Deal'.

HOWEVER they did make the me the girl i am today ^^ I wouldn't have half the friends i do now if i didn't know who MCR were simply because they're what got me talking to half my friends. Mr Way has influenced my art A LOT, the band's music have definitely provided a basis for other bands i now love and every time their style changes, it seems to be fitting exactly the kind of thing i'm currently interested in. For instance, 2010 i started getting into comics and then BAM! They bring out Danger Days ^^

Soooo......yeah.......plus their lyrics make for awesome quotes to scrawl all over text books XP

K xxx

Before MCR I was honestly extremely depressed and tried my hardest to be accepted and to fit in with everyone else. My self esteem was literally lower than helll itself. But then my best friend introduced me to them and after listening to Helena, I'm Not Okay, and Early Sunsets Over Monroeville, I felt a little better. But what really got to me was the interviews. Especially the one with Gerard and NME and he was talking about how he realized that he'd never be cool and that he didn't want to be, I slowly started to except myself the way I was, because I knew deep down that I'd NEVER ever fit in with anyone anywhere. I still don't, but I'm fine with that now. I'm who I want to be finally, and I'm getting better with my self image too.

I was a jerk that refused to listen to anything that didn't come close to either Reagan Youth/Black Flag/Minor Threat, or The Misfits. Needless to say, I barely have any sort of genre bias anymore.

I was really depressed and lonely, and I tried way too hard to fit in. Throughout all of elementary school I only had one friend, and in middle school only three. I had extremely low self esteem, for over a year I struggled with self harm, and I've been on the verge of developing an eating disorder. I'm bisexual and I was a closet case for way too long. Because of MCR I'm no longer depressed, I don't cut, I dont binge&purge or starve myself, I've accepted myself for who I am for the most part, I came out of the closet, and I've been able to open up to some people more. ♥ Without them I really do think I would be dead.

A chav! ... I am so ashamed :P

But seriously, I was trying to impress and be like my other friends (who where chavs). I really liked there music and kind of separated myself from my old friends and made new friends who liked my music and were just awesome :)

I hope you're doing better with the depression thing, honey. :) Hang in there. <333

My sister was into the scene in NJ when they first came out, so I always heard her play Bullets. I didn't really like...comprehend how great they were, but I knew I loved the album, so I just kept listening to bands like Thursday, MSI, Alexisonfire, Glassjaw, Blink 182, Tokyo Rose, etc. through her all through my childhood.

I guess I was just...normal. In middle school, I didn't really verbalize that I liked them a lot, and I didn't start to get to know them as people or as members of the band; I just knew the songs and loved them.

I think, around age 13, I joined INO.net and started to research them and get into the literal band, as people, and honestly, I used to give a shit so much before I saw their interviews and their quotes and everything.

I think it comes with age, but they really just taught me not to fucking care about a lot of things that would really end up stressing me out.

Wow, great question first off.

Before MCR I tried desperately to conform to society. I tried to fit in, I tried to be yet another follower. It's revolting to think at one point in my life I was that girl who the guys wanted to date. My early years were no walk in the park, and all that anger, sadness, and lonleiness I kept locked away in my head needed somewhere to go. But ever since I listened to MCR, my whole outlook on life's changed, so much for the better. I'd always been quiet, so I got pushed around and teased about a lot.

I got bullied a lot as a preteen, in middle school, and in early childhood, and sometimes even today (but by free will, I want people to think l'm strange!) and l've never had self-confidence, but MCR's teaching me to keep it ugly every day. Sometimes I'll look in the mirror and be so down on myself. Though l look a lot less awkward than l did years ago when l got bullied the most, l can't erase my self esteem problems that quickly. Then l'll say, what does it matter? I have my music, MCR's taught me better. Then I don't give a shit.

Now I just don't give a flying fuck about what people say. I listen to MCR and that's all I've ever needed to get through these days alive.

Before being a My Chem fan, my self esteem was so low, I didn't want to go out in public unless absolutely necessary because I knew I'd get shit for being who I am. I didn't even want to sit in the passenger seat of the car, I felt so ugly. MCR got me through that horrible phase in my life, alive and unashamed.

I used to wish I was that perfect-looking girl with the breezy, perfect childhood. Society told me that was what l should be living for. But the tormenting and the harrassments and the bullying made me stronger, and it made me who I am. Without MCR, I never could've seen the beauty within me. I'm doing a lot better now. Still working to confidence, but I'm a hell of a lot better... 'MCR saved my life' gets thrown around a lot, I know. MCR definitely made me who I am today, a fearless Killjoy ready to take whatever life decides to throw at me.

i was a stupid, i was depressed i didn't have anyone saying me to keep going i really thought i was alone,

i went sad for everything,and i really give a fuck for the opinions the others had on me.

I don't have any sad, "MCR saved my life" story, but they have really influenced who i am today.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I actually found MCR through top 40 radio. I didn't listen to it much, but whenever i did, i always heard this awesome song.. it was all "teenagers scare the living shit out of me!" it was soo cool! so i youtubed it. and saw Gerard Way singing and thought he was beautiful! <3 kinda lame. but i started looking up all of their songs and loved them. I was 12. So I was just entering my teen years, which was perfect timing. Their songs really helped me through the early years of my teen years. and they continue to help me. I'm 16 now. They are so easy to relate to. I don't know where I would be without them. They have inspired me to be true to myself and to avoid haters and such. I love Gerard, Mikey, Frank, Ray, and Bob [although he's gone :( ] so much! :rolleyes:

I was lost and depressed. I had nightmares every night, I cried every night, and I had bad thoughts. Once I found MCR, they just told me in their lyrics that life was worth living, and that I should carry on (GET IT????) I've been into them for about a year now, and they make me so much happier. I changed my style, which was a mess before I found them, and I was much more cheerful at school, and at home. I'm still not 100% better, but I'm trying my hardest. I havn't changed my personality, but I have changed quite a bit... For the better :) Thank you MCR

My father had been diagnosed with his third brain tumor in 5 years, and I didn't know that this would be the one that would end his life.

I found them just when we found out about it. So I wasn't really depressed...I had 7th grade/13 year old angst but nothing very serious...for long.

Before MCR I was honestly drowning in depression and hurt. I was actually weak enough to give up and kill myself. I was desperately looking for a way to be accepted and 'fit in' with all the jerks who were harrassing me non-stop and making fun of my 'big' nose ( oh please, I LIKE it that way ). I was about to end it, my music wasn't helping, I had nothing to write about,and my friends were total asses ( got new ones now ) and that was when my only true friend decided to put on 'Welcome To The Black Parade' in the car. I was told to 'listen' to the lyrics, and I did, and next thing I knew I felt so happy 'cause I felt....UNDERSTOOD. Like, this random person got me. I got hooked on stuff, but I guess what really captivated me was also what convinced Courtney Killjoy. I was on YouTube looking at interviews and I saw the one of Gee and NME, and I was really grateful for it because it finally convinced me that the reason I can't fit in is because I'm not cool, I'm just myself, and I have been since. Now I know who I am and everyone else in my school is a total dumbass for caring about what everyone else thinks about them. So thank you, Gerard Way, for saving me.

That is my story. ^.^

I basically only listened to Within Temptation and Evanescence and other depressing stuff. It made me feel like I had to wear black and all in order to fit in with all the other fans. I didn't feel like I belonged at all. I was also really insecure with socializing with others, and I didn't feel comfortable with who I was. I was the kid that went around in a knee-length black trench coat buttoned up to the throat. No joke.

Now I actually hang out with friends and I'm actually happy and laughing again. And all I need are my jackets, which don't go past my waist. And I don't look like a serial killer anymore, which is what my sister always used to say.

So yeah. Thank you, MCR. <3

I wouldn't say they saved me (I haven't really ever been suicidal), but they've helped a lot.

I'm shy and don't like to spend hours on end with other people. I'm not mean and it's not that I dislike other people, but it's like I need a lot of alone time to recharge, but friends seem to constantly need to talk. I can't be available 24/7, but any time I made friends with someone they wanted me to be able to text, talk on the phone, or hang out all the time. I couldn't handle it, so for a while I was friendless. I dealt with this through MCRs music, and now I'm fine with spending most of my time alone. Instead of having friends I have acquaintances, and it just works better for me.

They have also help because I've been teased so much about my body and eating habits. I'm a cyclist (I usually ride about 2-3 hours most days), which means I'm kind of thin and I eat quite a bit to have the energy for cycling. You wouldn't think that it would hurt to be teased about being thin, but I dislike people talking about my body as much as anybody else would. It made me uncomfortable. Since listening to MCR I've managed to kind of ignore the teasing because it's my body and I have a right to be comfortable in it whether other people like it or not. I think if it hadn't been for MCR I might still be bothered by the teasing.

MCR saved my life twice, first was back in '07 when my bf of 6 years and I split up. It was really hard, I mean all break-ups are hard, but when you're 26, world doesn't make sense to you, the last thing you need is to be broken-hearted :P

Anyways, the first time I ever saw the "I don't love you" video really got me interested in MCR, first of all I loved the art and secondly, I was surprised that part of the guitar solos had a little Queen to it which was so cool! It was like a rock opera and I hadn't heard that in a lot of bands.The song was just so beautiful! I was like WOW! then I got interested in the band and got the record and have been hooked ever since. Listening to MCR is therapeutic :)

The second time their music saved my life was last year when I was going thru a rough time at work and then I liked this guy but he turned out to be a total jerk (so full of himself), I got a bit let down and didn't really feel good about myself, then bam! out comes the NA NA NA video, Gerard has RED HAIR, the fashion, the song, the art! holy crap what is this!? It was so full of attitude and I felt so empowered after that song, NA NA was became my personal anthem.

I am very happy that God gave the gift of MCR, they are one of those things that exist to inspire you to be inspired, creative, better, positive! and the best part of all, they are human and not fully of themselves. Love MCR and MCR fans :)

Well, Mcr didn't save my life. Yeah, I had hard times. I was very depressed and thinking suicide and stuff like that... But to be honest, it wasn't MCR who save me. It was ppl around me, and me myself too. Mcr helped me a lot and changed me as a person, not much, but they did. And I'm SO thankful! I quess I'm ok now (not all-good, but hey. I'm teenager, everything is shitty!XD) and MCR is big part of my life.

My chemical romance doesn't save me, but it help me everyday. Some strange way I get energy to continue just for listen to them. And inspiration. A lot of inspiration. I can't think life whitout Mcr, but if I wouldn't ever start to listen to them, I would b okay anyway. But now they cannot take mcr away from me! Never! :D I just simply love My chemical romance!! <3 ^^

Since 2001, with the listen to Honey and Vampires, it sort of helped me stay away from Drugs and Alcohol, the album itself taught me love, ambition and alot of things, then Revenge came out, i learned to love, i learned some things that helped me in life, then when the Black Parade came out, it helped me through the bad times, when my life was in its darkest, the lyrics in each song showed me death in its many forms, and i got out of suicide (attempted suicide) and learnt to live, Danger Days, well they just taught me how to party xD

They helped me become happier and stop being depressed, with their music. And I thank them for that. <3

Since 2001, with the listen to Honey and Vampires, it sort of helped me stay away from Drugs and Alcohol, the album itself taught me love, ambition and alot of things, then Revenge came out, i learned to love, i learned some things that helped me in life, then when the Black Parade came out, it helped me through the bad times, when my life was in its darkest, the lyrics in each song showed me death in its many forms, and i got out of suicide (attempted suicide) and learnt to live, Danger Days, well they just taught me how to party xD

I love all the albums, but I really like how, to some degree, Danger Days is just a good party album lol

They saved me a few times.

I'm 18. I have listening to MCR since 2004(6th grade) my sister started listening to them then I did. Back then in middle school I was considered "goth" then "emo" I was the girl in the MCR shirt. I was bullied non-stop from 7th to 8th grade I would get death threats and people tell me that I was worthless; and after a while I started to believe them. I was in such a deep depression I would rarely go to school just from the fear of being bullied. But MCR's music was always there for me "I'm Not Okay" became the song that described my life. I tried cutting but the only thing that seemed to make life feel even a little better was MCR's music my mom then found out and we sought out medical treatment. My depression got better but still was there but I at least was alive.

Then I went to high school freshman year was Hell I was still bullied but not as serve I was the “emo/scene” girl now. Then I became chronically ill after having surgery. I rarely felt well I miss a ton of school and I would pass out in the hallways I was lost and afraid of what was wrong. I would over mediate myself with prescription drugs and pain killers to take away both my physical and emotional pain. Also I became involved in a long distance relationship I was having with a drug addict and it pulled me in further. I became addicted to Tylenol pm and Ambien I would literally stay up all night and not remember a thing and sleep all day and while I was awake at night I would call the guy I was involved with and my would talk I don’t remember much from those nights all I know is he was high and would tell me he that he loved me. I became a zombie alive but dead inside. I had to drop a few classes due to all my absences. I then watched the Life on the Murder Scene dvd and saw what Gerard did to himself with his alcoholism and prescription drug addiction and realized what I was doing to myself. And stop taking the Ambien all together and got old new depression meds and continued to take Tylenol pm every night still to this day I do I’m sadly addicted to it but without it I can’t sleep my doctor’s say its fine though. I was lucky enough to go to one of their concerts and it restored my hope. Then my family decided the best thing for me would be to move to another state where there are doctors who understood my disorder.

So then I move to Texas get started at a new school and find a doctor to help me get better. But unfortunately the good health only lasted a little while I then became bedridden and had to be home bound and have a teacher tutor me to keep up in school and this continued for a while with ups and downs I returned to school the next year feeling a little better but I could only go part time. Then slowly became more tried, dizzy, and in a lot of pain the depression set in and I became wheelchair bound/bed ridden and had to be tutored at home the only outlet I had was music it kept me going even though I was still so tired of fighting. And the vicious cycle continued into my junior year at which I had a major fall and ended up in a wheelchair again so I decided to drop out and get my GED at 17 my options were low I didn’t know what to do. The pain from my fall caused me to take pain killers and I got into a deeper depression then remembered about the last time and stop myself from abusing them.

I finally then enrolled into cosmetology school to start off a new path hoping it will work. Right now my health is declining again and my depression is getting worse I’m still addicted to some meds but I have my doctor control it now I aware of that it’s an issue now a because of see that dvd I will never forget and see Gerard recover gives me hope. Also I recently came to the conclusion that I’m bisexually making me feel more confused and depressed but I let the people around me know how I feel. A few week ago I couldn’t stop thinking about ways I could end it all then I listened to the new MCR album and I knew I needed help and that I’m here for a reason . So now I getting help again I really hope it works this time but I know MCR’s music will always be there for me in the end. (I also suffer from ocd, anxiety , panic attacks, and dysautonomia (POTS)