Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ihidethetruth

How Did MCR Save You?

they really gave me the stuff to stand up for my "weird-ness" really made me feel that being weird is cool, :)

Guest tinewashere

I wouldn't say they've saved my life, but they've had a huge impact on who I am today :)

I was around 13 when I discovered them in 2007, and back then, all I ever dreamt about was being popular (having cool clothes, many friends, etc). I was this sort of nerdy and weird/awkward girl. It was pretty bad. I'd daydream about it and it would make me smile.

Then, I found MCR, and they completely changed it all 180. I didn't want to fit in anymore. I starting finding out who I was and who I wanted to be, along with getting more and more into music. I didn't want to be popular at all. I just wanted to listen to rock music and love the few friends I have. I didn't need more.

Nothing really changed until summer 2010, where I started at a new school. I'm not very good with new people, and it's quite hard for me to be confident in myself lately, so I listen to MCR to get strength. I've tried to explain it to people before, but no-one really understood - I'm sure you guys do though :). I try to accept that maybe I just don't like drinking every single weekend and maybe I just don't need to be friends with everyone. It's okay to just have a few close friends. It's hard though.. but MCR definitely helps.

Their music helped give me the strength to leave my ex-fiance. I knew he wasn't good for me, he spent all night out with his mates while I worked to keep a roof over our heads. But, I didn't think anyone else would love me, or want to be with me.

Famous Last Words and the encouragement of my Mum gave me the balls to leave him after 7 long and draining years. I'm a stronger and happier person since leaving that asshole and now have a man that loves me and spends everynight at home with me! :)

Well my story is kind of long, but I'll try to keep it short (:

It all started in 2006 I was 11 and I start listening to FOB, Panic!, Sum 41, Green Day...etc ,but neither did my friends or family shared the same tastes, so they started criticising me about being "normal" and all this comments just trigger something in my head, all this fucked up thoughts, I felt so bad I didnt fit anywhere, I was so alone and I stopped talking to everyone eventually. I was so mad no one would ever understood, they would talk shit about everything that I stand for so I started to self-harm (I start thinking suicide was the only way out, I made a few attempts) and, shit I was only 12!, but being at a young age I could not control myself and I would never stopped inflicting pain to myself, sadly it became an addiction. One day I was listening to the radio and WTTBP was on...it just changed my life like seriously I cant describe what happened to me, but in a weird way I just felt like I wasnt alone, like someone really cared about me... it was just like pure magic! So I decided to do something for me and I got help and after 4 years of struggle...well here I am perfectly fine thanks to My Chemical Romance :D

It's amazing how this band has saved so many people and changed so many lives. I'm so glad that they helped so many MCRmy members. :)

So, I'll keep this relatively short. My Chem helped me through one of the darkest times in my life. I was fifteen and my parents were in the middle of their divorce. My father was too busy with his girlfriend and I never saw him. I never fit in, in my teen years. In the middle of summer, I hadn't had much contact with my friends or my family, besides my amazing mom. She's my other life saver. But, I felt alone and depressed and scared. My cousin's best friend had committed suicide, earlier that year. He was an all star, straight 'A' student and was loved by everyone. I thought, if he had taken his life, how could I still be here? Like, so many others, I wanted an easy way out of the pain. For some reason, I thought about MCR and listened to their music and wondered what they would think. How they got through it. I felt like... they understood it because they had been through some things like this. They helped me push through it. They are the most amazing band and if it wasn't for them and my mom, I probably wouldn't be here, right now. I probably wouldn't have as much self confidence as I have, today. <3

I had problems with friends since I was little.... also back and forth, friends not friends.... i was never really in the groups and never was really comfortable with them.... I found mcr in grade seven and started really getting into music.... by that point i had been friends witha couple of girls since the year before... in grade eight the got pulled into the big group and i wasn't EVER involved and it broke me up... in art class i'd literally sit in the corner and listen to mcr and they were all "don't give her an exacto knife, she might cut herself, or you!"

That was the year before highschool... during the summer before highschol started they told me they didnt want to be friends anymore... so i entered a new shcool with no "friends", like best friends... but i still had mcr and i leaned of them for strength really and it's been hard, i still eat lunch in the bathroom sometimes, but i'm not afraid to be myself...

i launched myself into music and made new friends (music friends :) ) and i'm still friends with the people from elementary, like i get along with everyone.... but i'm really myself and i don't ever let anyone persuade my decisions... so really, My Chemical Romance sort of started my problems XD but I'm glad they did because they really helped me find who i am... if i hadn't found them, i'd be sooo different and probably be living a lie ... THANKS MCR!

I'm sorry this is so long, but it's the shortest way I know to explain it.

Until last October I was only a fan. I didn't have any serious problems.

I had a friend named Jonathan that was my brother's age- six years my senior. He died on October 11 last year. When we got the news, it was 5:45 in the morning. My mom woke me up early and told me. I got up and just sat at the kitchen table thinking, "Jonathan? He was just fine in August!" I was so upset after my Texas History class that morning I had to Facebook my friend and ask her to come up before her classes because I didn't want to make a scene in front of a hundred other people in the cafeteria. :(

My brother who is in Germany working in the military got the call and thought it was our grandfather since he's 87 and has Parkinson's and diabetes. He was his best friend in high school and a groomsman at his wedding.:o I was the bridesmaid paired with him. He had diabetes and about a gazillion of other disorders and problems. He wasn't even supposed to live as long as he did. He was only 27. :(

It was the first time I had lost someone TRULY important to me since I knew him just as long as my brother did. :( All the family that has died so far I never knew, so it didn't really affect me.

He went to check up on his parents' house one day and went to take a nap. He never woke up. When Jaci, my sister in law's friend wondered what was taking him, she found him on his parents' bed- dead. The new insulin pump in his arm wasn't working right yet and one of his kidneys was only functioning at 15%. :o

Jonathan never let any of his problems affect his friendships or school stuff. He always had a smile, never thinking in a negative way, enjoying every day he had. :D I couldn't stop crying during the funeral. My brother came in from Germany to be a pallbearer. My profile display picture is from after the gravesite ceremony and lunch. It was hard to put on a smile, but I had to do it since it was one of the only times the three of us- my two older brothers and me were together.

I finally realized the full meaning of "Welcome to the Black Parade". It helped me through the darkest hours of my life. I'm crying right now as a matter of fact. It still hurts, but not as much as the immediate grief. I love this band and how their music sends you a message. Mine was: "It will be okay. Your friend will always be there for you- even if it isn't in the flesh." I don't know how I would have dealt with the pain if they weren't a part of my life. :);)

They helped me up & saved meeee :)

When I learned about them , it was my dark days .. So their songs are my music .. Some of the lyrics are kinda literal for me so I took the words & go for it . I became better as time goes by .. And where I am today was because of them :D

They helped me through one of the hardest times in my life and make me feel good enough to carry on, each day. I have confidence and I feel happy with myself because of them...

it was in the dark ages of my life that i knew My Chem. i was 16. i had personal issues that no one has ever known. parents separated, bullied in my highschool, confused on what to do with my life, and a very low self-esteem. i dropped out of college because i know for a fact that i was depressed and could not concentrate on my studies. i was so depressed i even considered committing suicide. i was at home, alone, watching a local music channel, that's when i first saw the MV for Welcome to the Black Parade. i've heard about them since Helena but i was not much of a fan until TBP. when i saw that video, and listened to the lyrics, it struck me. their music just connected to me that instant. i spent plenty of time watching videos of them, searching for them in the internet. and then i found out how they were as individuals. their past life. i bought TBP. all the songs are like the anthem of my life at that moment. since then, i considered myself to be an MCRmy. i think it was God's plan for me to know MCR. they changed me. i'm a better person now because of them. i owe a lot to this band. they are the ones who were there when nobody else cared to listen. they are a part of me that nobody could ever take. i'll always be a fan. i'll keep on believing in them, because they believed in me when no one does. :);)

Each member of the MCRmy usualy has a story about how My Chemical Romance has helped them. Here you can write about it in detail. People are listening.

I thought i could start.

I started listening to MCR when i was 10. I am now 15. In that period a few things happened. First, my uncle died. This upset my dad in ways i can't possibly imagine. I have never seen him cry before then or since and it took its toll not only on him but me and my mum aswell. My dad had lost a brother but i had lost an uncle. Another family member. I had already lost all my grandparents and a substitute grandma by the time i was six. Losing a family member is hard but its something that you get used to over time. Then we found out that my Dad was sick. Very sick. And he had to go to hospital all the time and we were worying constantly. He had to go through chemo and bone marrow transplants and i can only imagine the pain he was in. All this made me feel terribly lonely because i couldn't tell anyone. At all. I was taught that this was my dads problem, not mine so it wasn't up to me to tell anyone. This lead to a lot of stuff building up over a few years. This lead to getting a counciller. Then i got a problem with how i looked. I self harmed and the doctor dignosed me as clinicaly depressed. This lead to another counciller and various help groups and various tablets. My counciller said i had body dismorphia. I was sick of lables being pinned on me.

I used to think that all that and the fact i ended up going to the doctors for help made me weak.

Through all this i was listening to MCR. Their lyrics were lovely and inspiring and helpful. They helped block things out. That is what i needed. I was not weak. I was getting better.

I am an awfull lot better now. Like, considerably. MCR taught me that suicide is not the way out. It never gets rid of the problem. Because only you can do that.

Now whether it was MCR that saved me or just music in general, im not sure.

But i know that without it, i would not still be here.

H xo

I'll keep this brief, but about a year ago all my supposed "friends" decided that I was far too much of an embarrassment to hang round with them anymore. I was gutted because I felt like I had lost literally everyone with no warning and those few weeks were hell, emotional torture. It was literally only losing myself in my music, more specifically MCR that kept me going during that time. It also helped me realise I had been pretending to be someone I'm not and if they'd really been my friends they would have never done something like that to me. These days I have a group of amazing, reliable and awesome friends who are just as insane and messed up in the head as me. Sure we may not be "cool" but who wants to be cool if it means being miserable? I'm not afraid to be myself anymore and I literally don't even care if people have negative opinions towards me, it's their loss. Most importantly this band helped me grow up and deal with my own insecurities. :) Long live the MCRMY!!!!

Well, basically my life is a huge sh*t hole BUT NOW i don't care anymore, kind of.

I have always been the shy kid at school, even when i was toddler. In primary school (i'm in England) i had a whole class of friends, when your 5 you only care about crayons and whether or not you are going to have 'rain games' (when it rains and everyone stays indoors). It was a good life, apart from when i started to mature, i matured WAY TOO EARLY. I began to realise the way people saw me and i was SCARED. I longed for Secondary School (High School) so i could 'start fresh'... I WAS WRONG.

I had some friends and everyone else was NEW. I was still shy,and now that everyone was older, the 'shy kid' is the easy target. I began to think my friends were not 'real' and this girl annoyed the living sh*t out of me, so i went with another group, they were too loud. I was different. A reject. One thing led to another, my self conciouss grew and grew. I have never been thin, so i took that up. I wanted to be attractive, so i began to eat less and less and exercise more and more. I dropped to 6 and 1/2 stone. Still shy and having an eating disorder i was F*ked. This went on for months and soon found my way out. I was living a fake life of happiness then i found MCR which i had know from another girl while ago but i dropped (i seriously cannot remember why.) I broke down that day because i realised i wasnt THAT messed up. Each member of MCR are so inspiring. I never would g against anything they say, so i dont starve that much anymore and Danger Days gives me life. ALL YOU FANS MAKE ME REALISE THAT MUSIC UNITES US AND YOU HAVE ALSO SAVED ME!!! I live for music and i want people to know, that you can make it out. Eating disorder never leave you and depression comes and goes BUT LIFE IS WORTH LVIVNG AND VIOLENCE IS NEVER THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I became a fan in '06 or '07...I was probably 11 about to turn 12. I've had family problems for a long time, they constantly fight. I was bullied badly in school. Every day I was told that I was fat, and I was ugly, and I was a lesbian just because I didn't have a boyfriend. As the years of school went by, it got worse. I was called a bitch, hit with lockers, and had books knocked out of my hands. I told teachers and my parents, but it only got worse. Eventually I decided I wanted to homeschool, and it was possibly the best decision I ever made. Things were just starting to look up for me.

I started in November of 2008, and in March of 2009, my grandmother was murdered. What hurt the most was that the murderer was my cousin, someone she loved very much and had always tried to help. But he was addicted to drugs...that night he had ran off and they hadn't found him, I was terrified, thinking that maybe he would come back for us. But sadly, they found him the next morning. He had committed suicide. He left no note, so I'll never know why he did what he did. Since then, I've battled PTSD, crippling anxiety, depression, and OCD tendencies. I had so much hatred bottled up inside me, and in the process of making sure my mother and everyone else was ok, I let myself fall apart mentally. My Grandmother was always the peace maker in the family, so there was more fighting in my family than ever before.

There were some nights that I thought of killing myself, but I kept hearing what the band always said about that kind of thing. So eventually I started seeing a psychologist, which followed being put on anti-depressants. Whenever I had those thoughts, I would always think...."I am not afraid to keep on living. I am not afraid to walk this world alone." In fact, I would listen to that song a lot and cry my eyes out. I learned what the band themselves had been through, and I felt like they knew how I felt. I wasn't alone. I think that meant so much to my recovery. If I ever got a moment to say something to any of them, I would thank them for creating the music that helped me through the darkest time of my life.

When I was younger my parents sort of controlled the music i listened to, to be honest i didnt even know there was a station on the radio that wasnt country or oldies *blush*. Then around when I was ten or eleven (probably eleven) I had heard Helena and the Ghost of You and I'm Not Okay and really liked them. So I bought the CD, but never really LISTENED to the words. Then I started getting into bands like the Killers, who were my favorite band for awhile. But then life just got so weird. I was homeschooled for most of my life (until ninth grade a couple of years back) So kids thought I was weird and didn't really want to hang out with me. I was weird, chubby, annoying, and had a strange sense of humor.

And then one day I was in such a strange mood. I was thinking "Wow. The world is SO effed up. Why doesn't anybody else see this?"...THEN I listened to the lyrics of the songs. So by

age 12 I was so enthralled with this group of guys who had never met but somehow KNEW me. They TOTALLY got what I was trying to say. They just GOT it. I didn't even know what "it" was, but boy, did they get it.

Shortly after I met my bestfriend through being homeschooled. And we bonded over My Chemical Romance. At this point in my life I don't know what I would do if that had never happened.

My grandma died of cancer in 2006, right around the time The Black parade came out. and boy did i shed many a tear listening to that album and relating to it.

In 2008 my grandpa died of cancer. To this day I can't even listen to "Cancer" by the band. Because once again, these guys GOT it, they freaking NAILED it. And it kills me.

I was hoping this would be shorter, but oh well.

So no, My Chemical Romance did NOT save my life. But they sure did help clear up a lot of confusion durring dificult times. When I was 11 years old thinking "what is wrong with me? Why am I thinking the things i'm thinking? How come everyone else says life is just peachy but I don't? I don't UNDERSTAND."

Puberty was f^@#ing rough. LOL! Thank god MCR was there for that.

Because of them I now have a wonderful person in my life who I am lucky to be able to call my bestfriend.

They were a crutch for me durring the hardest most painful times of my life.

And if it weren't for that music i could be like all the other girls at my school...floating around pointlessly and endlessy in a dead sea of bulltish. In a world where all that matters is how other people see you.

It's okay to be different.

You just gotta be.

I wouldnt say that MCR saved my life but they just seemed to fill what seemed to be missing in my life because i had a couple different groups of friends but I never felt like i really fitted in with any of them completely and felt like an outsider and i was often like the punchline of the joke and like people were just taking the fun out of me a bit and was quite down about it all and I never really had any real form of escapism as that would still get me down then the Black Parade came along i just loved it instantly and was like this is what i've been looking for and i never really cared what anyone thought or said about me, then I saw them in 07 and havent seen another live band since as I don't think anyone will but on as good a show, and its been a month since they were last in my city performing and im still absolutly devastated that I couldnt go, role on their next UK tour

They didn't so much save my life, but they did help me feel less alone. I was pretty much ignored in high school. My classmates paid no attention to me unless they needed something. On the long bus ride, MCR, along with FOB, Panic and others kept me company. I just felt like I could relate to them. It's hard to explain. They're helping me right now. I just lost my grandma last week and they have really helped curb some breakdowns. I was really close to her, so her passing has it me hard.

My friend introduced me to MCR right after I lost my grandfather. I can't really say he was the father I never had, because I have my father, he's just not really a father, you know? He's always working, and to be completely honest he used to be very physically and emotionally abusive towards me, so I've never really enjoyed his company. When I would go to my grandparents house I'd feel safe in his arms an din his presence. I remember he used always ask me to show him my "big eyes" because he just loved my blue eyes, he thought they were gorgeous. He always encouraged me to do whatever I wanted to do in life, and he was always supportive. I remember watching my older cousins get ready for their high school dances, performances, and even watching them at their graduation and seeing the joy on his face. When I lost him, I lost everything. I was just starting my freshman year, and I lost my desire to do anything. I didn' want to go to homecoming because he'd never get to see me in my pretty dress, and now, four years later sitting here, I'm not even excited for graduation because he won't be able to see his youngest grandchild recieve her diploma. I'm actually starting to tear up a bit..

But, my point is, I found MCR when I was in my most vulnerable state. Helena helped me move past his death and celebrate his life, even if I am still sad. They gave me something to hold onto when everything I had was gone.

Starting out as a freshman I didn't really have any friends, and I never had up until that point. People have never understood me, and probably never will. MCR taught me that it's okay to be who I am, and that there are other people out there just like me. They've honestly helped to shape me into the person I am today. They're not afraid to stick up for what they believe in and they've taught me to do the same. They've shown me that I can be sucessful even if I am "socially awkward" and that I should never be ashamed of myself.

In my family, I'm definitely the "outcast". I'm not the overly cheery, overly preppy, proper girls like the rest of my cousins. I'm the "punk" kid who no one likes, and I'm always the one that gets talked down to. Nothing I do is ever good enough for any of them. They're constantly teling me that I'm never going to achieve my dreams, or that I shouldn't do one thing or another. MCR has really shown me that I shouldn't let anyone tell me what I'm worth and what I can do, and that I just have to believe in myself. Honestly, I owe my self esteem to them. I was constantly teased from kindergarden all the way until freshman year, and when you hear things enough times you start to believe them. I used to truly believe that I was just a fat, useless, ugly waste of space.

That was a lot longer than I anticipated, I'm sorry :blink:

Saying MCR saved my life would kind of be an exaggeration. I will say that they changed a lot about me, though. The way I think, the way I see people, etc. When I feel sad or powerless, MCR always makes me feel better and more confidant.

They give me something to look forward to.

It might sound stupid, but I can't do anything to harm myself because I'm too far into this band and I want to know as much as I can about them; there's always a new album coming out, a new photo being taken for a different angle, a show in my area a month away, a new quote being said on stage, a new interview, a new Tweet.

<_< MCR started saving me when i was around 10 and my best friend-sister showed me them. Now they are the only things that are keeping m sane in a house of people i cant stand, expecially my sister who I think is the saten span... Thats not me just being a normal teen, its true. So yay MCR. Im so glad to see that so many ppl have been saved and there are more out there. <_<

This is a quote from one of my favourite movies called Leon (aka The Professional) “You've given me a taste for life. I wanna be happy.”. This quote sums up exactly what MCR did for me. They didn’t save my life they just inspired me to realise life is worth living. And since 04 that is exactly what I’ve been doing. Simples.