Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeyanaJoy

Too Young To See Mcr?

So hey, have anybody been to a My Chem show yet? People often aren't allowed to go because they're too young, but if several people here have, it might be a way to convince your parents.

By all means, respect your parents and their decision, all they want is to keep you safe, but if this helps them feel safer, go ahead and show them.

It's also interesting to see how old people were the first time they saw My Chem.

I was 12 the first time I was at a concert. I saw Emilie Autumn. However, the first time I saw My Chem was 1 week and a half ago, in Norway and Sweden. My mom didn't like it, but I flew to Sweden, got a hotel and saw them there all by myself. It was really fun to be allowed to do something like that alone, and it was kind of liberating - I am now allowed to do several things I wasn't allowed to do earlier because of that.

I just turned 16.

xo

I was 13, Which was only last year. I went to the first gig they did in London since 2007 at the Hammersmith Apollo and there was a girl sitting infront of me, my friend and my mum. The girl was about 8 with her sister and her mum and dad. Gerard was swearing a lot and just doing what Gerard does ;) And I think she may have a been a little too young to be there, but saying that I went to see Busted with my dad when I was 8.. So I don't really know. But my parents have been to a lot of concerts when they were teenagers so I think they are understanding when I want to go and see a band and as I am not 16 yet, they have to take me.

I was 15 when I went to my first concert back in Nov '07 and I had to practically beg to be allowed to go, aha. I used to have to ask waaay in advance for concerts after that for a bit, then as I got older it stopped mattering so much because my parents knew I could organise and look after myself and it helped when I started finding my own way there that didn't rely on them so much. Last April, when I was 17, I went with my friend to a gig that was about 150 miles away from my house and we organised transport and hotels and everything ourselves, and that is when I think my parents finally realised I was self-sufficient enough to just do stuff without them worrying.

Basically, if you can prove to your parentals you're mature enough to go without your parents taking you etc and can handle yourself at a gig, age shouldn't really be a problem.

I'm 19 now but I didn't start going to concerts until I was about 12. I'll be honest, there were plenty of times my parents and I had butted heads about going to concerts. The best way to go about it? Tell them about the concert/venue/who you are going to be with/the band. The reason I went to half the shows I went to was because I literally wrote essays as to why I should go and had my parents check out the band.

If your parents are really concerned about your safety at a concert, ask them to come with! I know, not what you were hoping for, right? Trust me, best way to also go about it. I used to ask my mom to take me to concerts all the time...in the end my mom ended up enjoying them with me. Shoot, she went with me when I was 17, almost 18, to see Blink 182 because she loved the band!

It's pretty simple to get your parents on your side for some things...but remember that if they don't allow you to go, they're only think about you and your safety. Plus, time flies by pretty fast and you'll be old enough to go to shows before you know it, trust me.

My mother refuses to let me go to a concert, being twelve. My old worry with this is that by the time I'm old enough to go, MCR will have stopped touring America.

Don't let those fears get ya down. I never thought I'd ever see Aerosmith live (I was brought up on them) and wouldn't ya know I saw them with Kiss not too long ago. Just keep it positive. MCR won't be going anywhere anytime soon, believe me.

This is interesting. Some of you are really young and not allowed to go, some were that young when they first went, and some are just in the middle being/not being allowed to go.

At the Oslo concert, a 12 year old girl sat right next to me in the queue, and she was alone. She was in the capital, all alone, really young and she was sitting there for 12 or so hours like myself. She had also gotten up at 2 am to catch the train from her town a couple of hours away alone, and she took the train up to Oslo. I found that amusing, because my fist concert was at a small club (no alcohol) and with friends who were older than me. She also said that she was allowed to go see MCR in 2007 when they were at a festival here in Norway at the age of 8! She missed it though, because her flight was cancelled and the next flight would have been too late.

There are a lot of younger fans both in the queue all day and the seats when nights come around. The younger people (w/ parents) often have seats, but when I saw Green Day for the first time (I think I was 13 or 14), Billie Joe pulled a 8 year old boy up from the crowd in front of the stage.

I don't really know why I told you all of that, but now you know. The best part is to talk to your parents in a calm and mature way, don't scream or cry even if you really feel like you have to. I spent two months changing my mother's mind, but it was worth it.

And don't worry, MCR aren't done. Not by a long shot. They've just started (:

xo

Too young? What about too old?! I only got into MCR last year at 50! Love them. Been to 2 gigs and going to Reading.

That is really, truly amazing! That's what I love about the MCRmy - it's a community with people in all ages from all places! So you're from the UK?

the first concert I went to was N'sync (I'M SO FUCKING COOL) when I was about 7 years old. Obviously that music type is completely different from MCR and the crowd acts differently.

I don't think people are too young to go, I think it's just a matter of how strict your parents are and who you're going with. I saw MCR in 2008 which would've made me 13 years old and I went with two of my friends. My mom didn't realize the environment there. Someone asked us if we wanted cocaine. But my mom is really open about me going to concerts so really, it just depends on your parent. Not necessarily your age.

the first concert I went to was N'sync (I'M SO FUCKING COOL) when I was about 7 years old. Obviously that music type is completely different from MCR and the crowd acts differently.

I don't think people are too young to go, I think it's just a matter of how strict your parents are and who you're going with. I saw MCR in 2008 which would've made me 13 years old and I went with two of my friends. My mom didn't realize the environment there. Someone asked us if we wanted cocaine. But my mom is really open about me going to concerts so really, it just depends on your parent. Not necessarily your age.

Somebody offered you cocaine at an MCR gig?!That's insane!

My first big concert/fest was Warped when I was turning 14.I was with my little sister,my mom wasn't there.Music has always been the biggest part of our lives,so she encouraged it.It took me awhile before that to convince her to let me go to the local punk shows,they tended to get violent sometimes.

I'm not certain that very young kids would understand a lot of Gerard's..ahem..onstage antics/gestures mean.He swears a lot, but that's really trivial.If you want to go balls to the wall out for your first concert, then hell yes,see My Chemical Romance.Especially if you can get up front,it'll be the time of your life!

i was 13 when i went to my first mcr concert, i didn't even go with my parent i just went with my 14 year old sister. they let us straight in :D <3

aaah! Lucky you! I wanted to go sooo bad, in my killjoy outfit :C Hope they make another killjoy album :3

My mother refuses to let me go to a concert, being twelve. My old worry with this is that by the time I'm old enough to go, MCR will have stopped touring America.

That will never happen. And if it did, it would not be for a VERY, VERY long time. Methinks you're safe (:

My first concert was MCR at the House of Blues in Vegas, December 11, 2006.

I was fourteen, just a few weeks shy of fifteen. My parents were well aware of my obsession with MCR and once my friend's sister agreed to give me her ticket (she didn't even LIKE MCR, so I had begged her), I proceeded to beg my parents to let me go.

I think they knew I'd hold it against them for the rest of time if I wasn't allowed to see them, especially when I had decided more than a year before that my first concert was most definitely gonna be MCR. So, they let me go.

It was a smaller venue and a great time, I was beside myself with excitement and was incredibly disappointed when it finally came to an end.

First concert I went to I was about 15. No matter what the music or genre I usually don't recommend going to a concert if you're younger than that without a parent or some responsible adult, but it's due to safety issues. I was at one MCR show where this one girl was crushed against the barrier and security had to get her out. Not sure how old she was but she looked about 13. At an AFI show I saw a 12 year old sucker punched by a guy in his 20s who wanted her spot (he deserved what he got after that and no one says differently). I can't say for certain that these things wouldn't have happened if they had adult supervision but they would have been more easily preventable.

Go with a friend who is bigger and stronger than you, this is usually my strategy.

I was 13 the first time I saw MCR at Taste Of Chaos in 04 lol. It was a little intimidating cause that was the first time I had been to a real ~rock concert. It took a while to convince my mom to let me, but she finally did when I got my next door neighbor (who was 17 at the time) to go with me haha.

I started going to concerts/saw MCR when I was 12. I've only recently been going to concerts on my own, however. I'm 16.

My mom never really needed to be there, though - as I'd always be in the pit and she'd be god knows where. At Projekt Revolution I was all dehydrated/puking and at a Bouncing Souls show I got my face smashed into a barrier. Even better - my om was RIGHT behind me and DUCKED, letting the body fall onto my head. Yeah, she likes the Bouncing Souls. No, I no longer get near her when she's all upfront and fangirling over Greg and being too much of an idiot to lift crowdsurfers off of her daughter.

They really don't help, since they can't get to you in the pit if you're hurt... or maybe they'll just let people fall on you like mine did, anyway, haha.

But - I will say that I still have a policy of checking in with my mom every 2 or 3 hours by text to let her know I'm okay. Which is fine by me.